In 2022 we mourn the death and celebrate the life of

Jim Seals of Seals and Crofts with the hit songs ā€œSummer Breezeā€ and ā€œDiamond Girlā€ passed away last month at age 80.
Some of the older timers here will recognize these songs among others they produced. A fun song to learn and play which Iā€™ve been working on lately.

2 Likes

Who are you calling an old timer :smirk:ā€¦ :wink:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Ha !
I purposely said older timer so as not to offend any of the old timers here. I only became whats known as a senior citizen this year so have a ways to go still before the old timer designation sets in. I think Jim Seals could have been considered an old timer though given that most musicians never reach the ripe age of 80.
Rock on !

Itā€™s okay with me if you want to insult the elderly here :face_with_peeking_eye:ā€¦Iā€™m not going to say anything about that :speak_no_evil: :innocent:ā€¦but I also knew this number and Iā€™m only 48 :joy:ā€¦
Sorry for the bad jokeā€¦Its the heat ...its the heat :roll_eyes:
Greetings,ā€¦

Yeah I understand. Hate the heat too.
Donā€™t mind the snow and cold , sitting next to the woodstove of course.

Bernard Cribbins, while mostly known as an actor, he had three Top 40 singles in 1962, including this one, chosen by Noƫl Coward as one of his Desert Island Discs:

1 Like

Brilliant comedian and comic genius and one of the Goons.
Another classic was Right Said Fred. :cry:

2 Likes

Vale Archie Roach, (1956-2022) an Australian Aboriginal musician who sadly passed away yesterday, after a long illness. He shared his love of music and his culture both here in Australia, and around the globe. Died way too young and will be sadly missed.

1 Like

One for us oldies :cry:

Australian musician Judith Durham, best known as the lead singer of folk music group The Seekers, has died aged 79

2 Likes

Yeah mate. A very sad loss of an Australian icon, and a national treasure.

An exceptional artist, had the good fortune to see him perform early 2020.

A very, very sad loss today of an absolute Aussie icon, Olivia Newton- John. A super talented singer, actor and entertainer, and a champion human being. She was always our Aussie princess, and her loss will be felt deeply by every Australian today, along with her many admirers around the world.

4 Likes

Usually just read without reply here but this touches me more as in my youngs days, 9-14, we often used to listen to The Seekers, being a favourite of my parents. I knew Blowing in the Wind and California Dreaming from their records before I knew who Dylan and the Mamas and the Papas were. And still have a compilation of theirā€™s on my iPod for an ocassional play in the car.

Yesterday we said goodbye to Loretta Lyn, a country music hall of famer. Her song Coal Minerā€™s Daughter was semi-biographical and was the basis for the film of the same name in 1980.
I only recently (the past few weeks) discovered one of her songs thst has the funniest title I have ever heard: Youā€™re the Reason Our Kids are Ugly. Youā€™re the Reason Our Kids are Ugly - Lorretta Lynn & Conway Twitty - YouTube

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe this didnā€™t even get a mention in the UK news. I remember watching coal miners daughter, it was an interesting film.

1 Like

Stefan @SgtColon
It was on the BBC website, see below, which is where I saw it, donā€™t watch much TV these days especially the news.

Michael

1 Like

A somewhat controversial figure but some great music for sure.

ā€œThe last great icon of rock ā€˜nā€™ rollā€™s birthā€™: Jerry Lee Lewis, known for hit song ā€˜Great Balls of Fireā€™, dies aged 87ā€

Completely missed the news about Jerry Lee Lewis and Garry Roberts. Both definitely losses for the music world but they also gave us loads of music to listen to.

Also, Nazarethā€™s singer Dan McCafferty passed away few days ago.

2 Likes

Jeepers, a year younger than me. :cry:

1 Like