1 Like

Too young.

A Four Tops for 70 years :sunglasses: That is a nice career :sunglasses:

1 Like

One of the greats.

1 Like

Very sad. A true legend.

2 Likes

Just seen this but man a good age. As Shane says legend.
More from the Beeb

:cry:

1 Like

I only discovered the Beano album late in life, but, oh my, is that a wonderful record.

Mayall is heavily featured in an episode of my favorite podcast (History of Rock in 500 Songs). The episode is nominally about the song ā€œCrossroadsā€, but it tells the story of Mayall and the British blues revival that he influenced so greatly.

Highly recommended!

A moving tribute from Eric

9 Likes

I only just now learned of the passing of John Mayall on the 22nd at the age of 90. Sadly, with all of the other events in the world, a tragedy of this magnitude can go all but unnoticed (I actually saw it first on the Ultimate-Guitar website and had to confirm it with a Google search).

John was born on November 29th, 1933 in Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. He is considered one of the foremost pioneers of British blues and formed an incubator, the Bluesbreakers, that produced of some of the most talented British guitarists ever to record (Eric Clapton, Peter Green, and Mick Taylor to name a few - although Iā€™d be remiss in mentioning that bassist John McVie also played with him). John devoted himself fully to the blues after an early exposure to jazz curtesy of his father - a guitarist himself. He was often referred to as the ā€œgodfather of the British bluesā€ but never received the contemporary recognition that many of his proteges acquired. In fact, it wasnā€™t until this year that he was finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, although he was inducted into the comparatively lesser known Blues Hall of Fame in 2016.

John didnā€™t begin his real full-time musical journey until he was already 30 years old (1963) when he formed the Bluesbreakers. He had played part time in blues-based bands prior to the formation of the Bluesbreakers, but it wasnā€™t until a year after that bandā€™s landing on Londonā€™s blues scene that they received their first recording contract. Having obtained a degree as an art designer, he actually designed many of his future album covers. He went on to record with many notable musicians and eventually moved to California where he recorded with some of his blues and jazz influences.

One of Johnā€™s most lasting legacies will be his focus on ensuring the blues continued to grow in popularity without sacrificing the original feeling and flavor. His ability to carry that torch across international audiences, and the subsequent effect it had on the development of modern rock, puts him at the pinnacle of blues/rock evolution.

2 Likes

Good catch JW. I saw that the other day, and meant to post something.

One of his albums made Justinā€™s top 10

Thank you! :slight_smile:

-M

Brazilian music legend Sergio Mendes of ā€˜Mas Que Nadaā€™ fame dies at 83 | PBS News.

Herbie Flowers, bassist on Lou Reedā€™s Walk on the Wild Side, dies aged 86 | Music | The Guardian.

Walk On The Wild Side - The story behind the classic bass intro featuring Herbie Flowers.

2 Likes

First became aware of the name in 1980 when, playing tuba with Sky2 (with John Williams) :smiley:

1 Like

Well ,that info let me look up some new thingsā€¦Too busy this morning to look further, but I never knew what I had already seen in 10 minutes of searching :smiley:

At 3:20 :scream: ā€¦
Some very bad lies work out very well :joy: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ooo, this brings back some wonderful memoriesā€¦