In memory of Gordon Lightfoot

WOW :exclamation: This was great :exclamation: Bravo Ron :exclamation: Keep on :grinning: :pray: :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Ron, I’m still not sure how this site works so I hope this responds to you. I may reach out for some pointers on this song. It’s probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Tony’s point about Gordon changing the lyrics inspired me! My wife and I both tear up whenever we hear this song but we’ve been married almost 40 years and the feelings strong so I am changing the lyrics from:

I don’t know what went wrong but the feelings gone
And I just can’t get it back

to

I don’t know but it’s been so long and the feeling’s strong
I just want it to last

I don’t think Gordon would object.

Second point, I just bought a classical guitar at a pawn shop. It’s in prisitne condition…and it was built in 1971. Gordon wrote this song in 1971. The guitar gods are telling me this was meant to be that I must learn this song. It’s now my mission :).

Lastly, sorry to digress but the juices are flowing. Musicians say the owner’s spirit lives in the instrument. I now believe that. For 10 months on my journey so far I have been trying to play with a metronome and have failed miserably. A few days after I bought this pawn shop special I cranked up my metronome ( I have a mechanical one on my desk), set it to 100bpm and started playing scales. For 40 minutes I stared at the pendulum and my fingers worked the fretboard! It was like an Oiji board. I was hyptonized and I swear the spirit of the previous owner was playing the guitar.

A bit far fetched but not really.

Thanks for letting me vent on your thread.

1 Like

Wonderful version.

1 Like

Thanks Luc. Glad you liked my version.:smiley:

Hi Roch,
Reach out all you want. I am happy to pass on any help I can as you learn to play this wonderful song.
Your word changes are great for you and your wife. Works well.
Happy playing and I am looking forward to your results posted up here on the community.
Cheers
Ron

Thank you so much Trevor. :smiley:

I saw this posted the other day and I’ve been really looking forward to listening to it. You’ve done a great job of the song Ron. You’ve really done it justice. Bravo!

1 Like

Thank you so much Stefan. I am pleased it didn’t disappoint.
It is a great song to play and sing. :smiley:

1 Like

Excelente sir. Fantastic singing and your playing looks so effortless? Wish I will one day be able to pick and sing like that.

1 Like

Thank you Eric. I appreciate the feedback. :smiley: