Introduction: Hello, I'm Derek from Massachusetts

Hello everyone.
(I meant to post this in my own thread, but inadvertently placed it in another thread! D’oh!)

I am Derek from Massachusetts, USA.

Currently, I am 50 years old but did pick up an electric guitar setup years ago. I started lessons with a well-known teacher in my area and then life decided I didn’t have time. Long story short, it’s 30 years later and I have just recently got myself another guitar. This time, an acoustic (Yamaha FG830, Tobacco Sunburst if it matters) version. I figured I have a lot more time now and I like a little punishment with my rewards. :laughing:

Thank you, Justin Guitar! It’s amazing what you have built here from the lesson plans, to the great website design and even the generous community willing to share their insights, successes, setbacks and everything in between.

Cheers!

edit:
added photo

13 Likes

Hi Derek, welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Derek, great to read your story! All the best with your learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Derek, welcome to the community

2 Likes

Hi Derek, welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Hey Derek, I can really relate to your story. I tried to learn 30 years ago but life and such got in the way. 10 years ago at the age of 53 I picked it up again and haven’t put it down since. It’s such a worthy and fun goal with many rewards along the way. keep at it and enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi Derek, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
It’s never too late to learn a new skill. I’m nearly your age and started this journey only few months ago :slightly_smiling_face:.
I wish you lots of fun with your new acoustic and Justins course :grinning:.

2 Likes

Hello Derek and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you have rediscovered the guitar. Many a happy hour to be had.

2 Likes

Hi Derek,
Welcome and…

Yes of course it matters, :roll_eyes:… actually that’s the only thing that really matters, preferably with a photo :smile:, because without a photo it really doesn’t exist (seems to become a truth that’s how often I read it)… it’s one of the few things that no matter how expensive you can show off :wink: :smile:
I wish you a lot of fun and hope to hear and see more from you…
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

That sort of inspires me. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yes, I suppose you are correct. It sort of matters. I’ll add a photo in a few. :wink:

A warm welcome to the community Derek. No time like the present to start learning again and you’ve found your way to the right place to learn with a supportive community and great teacher.

2 Likes

Welcome Derek. Guitar looks nice hopefully will get many hours of playing.

2 Likes

Hi Derek, welcome. The best thing is that your desire to learn to play guitar was set in action again. The second best is that you choose Justin Guitar as your main learning source.

2 Likes

Derek @Guitar_n00b1
First of all welcome.
Good choice of guitar, then I would say that having just got a FGX830C.
Hope you enjoy playing it.
Cheers
Michael :guitar:

2 Likes

Thank you, Michael!

I am very much enjoying it. It was difficult to stay away from it for 24 hours, though. You got that sexy cutaway model. Very nice!

Cheers

Hi Derek! Welcome to the community. Enjoy making music with your new guitar.

2 Likes

Hi Derek. A very warm welcome to the community.
You introduced yourself as an old dog in the kennel first and as an individual in your own right here. All good.
I hope you and your guitar get along well and build a long lasting loving relationship.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Derek, and welcome back to the guitar journey too :slight_smile: wishing you many dilights with your Yamaha!

2 Likes

Thanks for the VERY warm welcome, everyone!

Cheers

1 Like