Is it the future? | ChatGPT

Great topic, as can be seen from the debate. Some interesting points put forward. For my 2 cents, it is wonderful to see what humanity is capable of. When younger Sc-Fi was something devoured, when reality caught up was when I ceased reading it. How the ideas and products, which also applies to anything, are utilized of course is down to the individuals using it. For me at my stage in life, it is not something that will greatly affect me. For most of the time being able to play my guitar is one of the most fulfilling things, and that is gratifying. Onto the next wonderous invention, or Heath Robinson gadget even.

2 Likes

That is the plan. Everything you want to know is in your hand, but you never know if it is true. Like 1984. They never want something what benefits human race.

Who are they?

Realistically, itā€™s not the Government, nor some shadowy ā€œeliteā€.

Itā€™s a combination of

• big corporations building platforms to exploit peopleā€™s behaviour at scale to make more money
  • every day con-artists who use those platforms to run their con.

Historically, these platforms are independent of the con-men, although with recent acquisitions thatā€™s starting to change.

Ironically, itā€™s the con-artists and their gullible followers that promote this concept of ā€œtheyā€ and the claims of coordinated conspiracies as part of their con. Itā€™s a great business to be in as you never have to present any real proof, and just need to rely on the gullibility of vulnerable and weak-minded people, of which there are many on the Internet.

But I digress from the subjectā€¦

Cheers,

Keith

6 Likes

The displacement of workers due to AI is a complex issue, and there are several steps that can be taken to address it:

1. Re-skilling and upskilling: Encourage workers to acquire new skills and knowledge that are in demand in industries that are less susceptible to automation. Governments, educational institutions, and companies can provide training programs to equip workers with new skills.
  2. Social safety net: Establish a safety net for those who have lost their jobs due to automation, such as unemployment insurance, job training programs, and other social programs.
  3. Support for entrepreneurship: Encourage and support the creation of new businesses and startups by offering incentives and providing resources to help new businesses get started.
  4. Implement policies to ensure AI is beneficial to all: Governments should develop policies that ensure AI is designed and implemented in a way that benefits all members of society. This can include policies that encourage responsible AI development and deployment, such as ethical guidelines and regulations.
  5. Redistribute gains: Finally, it is also important to consider the redistribution of the gains from AI. This could involve measures such as progressive taxation, which would redistribute the gains from automation to fund social programs and support the workers who have been displaced.

Overall, addressing the issue of job displacement due to AI requires a multifaceted approach that includes both short-term and long-term solutions to help workers transition to new jobs, and ensure that the benefits of automation are shared equitably.

1 Like

A few more thoughts.

Most of us get our ā€˜knowledgeā€™, or perhaps more accurately, ā€˜beliefsā€™ from our parents, friends, teachers, colleagues and a variety of media . A significant proportion of this is just plainly false.
Remember when Wikipedia came out and all the hoo-ha about ā€˜itā€™s not true because anyone can write it?ā€™ I would suggest it is currently one of the most reliable/useful/accurate general knowledge resources available.

Scientific papers rely on experiments where things become ā€˜factā€™ when they are reproducible 95% of the time (not always).
Thereā€™s a lot of talk about students getting chatbots to write their essays at university. I havenā€™t heard any mention of their lecturers/professors using AI to conduct their research for them. Gather a load of data and ask bots different questions about it and have it written up in scientific terms? (Iā€™d be really surprised if itā€™s not already being done). Having previous chatbot experience could be seen as good training for future research and become a course in its own right.

Technology is morally neutral, neither good nor bad. The important question is how we decide to use it. It invariably makes some work(ers) redundant, but often creates opportunity for new enterprises.
Am I worried about AI-composed muzac? Not really. More music is being uploaded every minute to the internet than I could listen to in a lifetime.
Iā€™d prefer to listen to a one-take by Gordon than an X-factor show any day. Humans are social organisms based on relationships.
We use pretty amazing algorithms and technology to hang out and discuss these things right here :smiley:

4 Likes

By the way, my post aboveā€¦

was written by ChatGPT, in answer to my question: ā€œWhat to do about people who lose their jobs because of AI?ā€

3 Likes

Very interesting topic! Iā€™m very ambivalent concerning the whole AI issue, on one hand I find it extremely fascinating what AI already is able to do, on the other Iā€™m really worried about how we handle it in the future. Iā€™m not sure if we master to have control over it as a whole.

The results are astonishing! Broken down to musical aspects, I would be interested, if the same basic information given to the system by another person would create an identical output? Thatā€™s a point where human beings might still have an advantageā€¦as long as we are able to classify information differenciated.

Thatā€™s very true, Brian! Until now, we got a lot of our knowledge, beliefs or attitudes from a big variety of sources. Even if this sources werenā€™t always right, there was the option to get different points of views from different sources and the option to evaluate what is wrong or right was up to us.
Technology isnā€™t good or bad per se but itā€™ becomes problematic, if itā€™s misused or instrumentalised to filter or influence information, or being the only source for our knowledge. If the variety of knowledge gets lost.

Back to music. Where to draw borders?
Is a classical musician the measure of all things? A symphonic orchestra? A campfire player with an acoustic guitar? An electric guitar player using a lot of effects? DJā€™s and other music producers who layer different tracks in an endless repetition? Or somebody who uses AI to express himself in a musical way, maybe without having more than a musical education? I donā€™t know. As far as it concernes music I hope, that musicality and creativity always have the upper hand.

1 Like

That reminds me of Detroit game on PS4, hopefully we wonā€™t get there during our lifetime!

It always depends on how we use it. It is always our choice. Like with the smartphone.

1 Like

Not even 6 months later.

1 Like

Hi all
Zager and Evens released this song in 1969. In the Year 2525.
The lyrics turned out to be so prophetic.
As for the other comments I totally agree.
Useful to Mankind and Nature, fine.
Anything else is simply money making crap. :poop:

Peace out.
Mike.

AI is good for regulating traffic lights. Much more than that, it is at best useless and at worst very bad for all of us.

1 Like

So An AI doctor with the combined experience of every doctor on earth and every medical paper ever would be bad for us?

This is where Iā€™m at.

I expect AI to be everywhere in the music industry in very short order. However, I expect that I personally will be avoiding it as much as possible. I already avoid things like autotune and quantization. AI will probably be another thing that I tend to avoid.

All of that goes for music I make, but it also influences music I listen to. Music with obvious/heavy autotune, quantization, etc. tends to be music that is not to my taste. Thatā€™s not an absolute or a rule that canā€™t be broken, but itā€™s a strong tendency.

3 Likes

The same for me. But I donā€™t think that itā€™ll really be necessary to use AI if you only play guitar and make music for yourself.

Maybe can be used, if you make music for robots :wink: :joy: :joy: :joy: ---- AI is programmed by humans. If you know a little about programming, then you will know that AI is hardly anything but a lot of ā€œif - thenā€ programming. - No AI will be better than the programmer. AI is without common sense, heart and wisdom. The reason it will never be any good. ---- Little like chess, itā€™s raw calculation and is boring to watch, compared to humans. - Yes, it can be used to get ideas from, just like music theory can be used to get ideas for composing music. AI is good for regulating traffic lights. It works pretty well there, but else it sux big time in all other areas :wink:

I cannot agree with you, but itā€™s getting late, so instead of surfing the web Iā€™ll go to sleep.

AI is now at a level, and has been for some time, where the ā€œprogrammmed/ limited by humansā€ paradigm is no longer applicable.
AI is now fully capable of searching, analysing, concluding, and actioning, without any specific programming.
And more basic things like Chatgpt, while pretty impressive atm moment, will be a whole new ballgame once its fully connected to the internet. There will be many unknowns ahead I believe, personally, financially, socially, etcā€¦

3 Likes

All still programmed by humans. Having played chess and followed along for decades, also within programming, it all sound fantastic as you describe it. However, the reality is far from that. I have been doing programming and its still nothing but ā€œif-thenā€ programming. Sophisticated, yes, but still very plain nothing else. No heart, no wisdom and no common sense. That have never and will never be able to be put into computer language. Impossible. Socially its a disaster! Financiallyā€¦funny how so many having such a greedy mind only thinking of that and pushing things using that as an argument. What a poor world. ---- but go aheadā€¦ I am out of that. Totally. sad sad world, indeed

1 Like

Quite a few humans lack any kind of empathy, or common sense or any kind of wisdom