Is the subcription package and price for the Music Theory course changing?

I bought lifetime access a while ago, great value. Even the new prices are good value.

@adi_mrok Your picture is on the course page, surely you keep your access :joy:

3 Likes

The price is still great value for the information but I would gladly pay a lot more for lifetime access. The problem is see is getting through the course and a year later wanting to revisit something and being asked to pay again just to see it. Iā€™m also assuming with this new plan you canā€™t download the videos so you could find yourself in this position.

3 Likes

Hello all,
Just last week I told my wife that I havenā€™t watched for a long time (year and a half or so) but see this as a cheap lifetime donation (and it will probably come in handy for sure again) and I donā€™t make enough donations so told here that i don`t buy it off for $99 ā€¦ so for me this works out well and feel less guilty :sweat_smile:ā€¦(and of course a whole increase for many)

And to be honest, it was of course a bit cheap :blush:

Greetings,Rogier

@math07
I have not heard any talk of an all-inclusive purchase package.
If there were, I am unsure how it could include the App as that is paid for through Apple store / Google Play store, not through the Justin site.

Haha sold my rights for a lifetime accessā€¦ well at least one thing will remain after I am long gone one day :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry to hear you feel this way. :frowning: The 6-month price was very old and due for a change. We spent many years without updating those prices, and as Justin explained in his previous newsletter, a few changes needed to happen.

1 Like

Hello @Bolan, your subscription is not active once you cancel it. You still have access to the period you paid for, but your subscription no longer exists (we can no longer charge you for a new period, as you canceled that option!) Unfortunately, thereā€™s a difference between being subscribed and having access to what you paid for. Thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

Weā€™d love to do something like that, but itā€™s complex, so we donā€™t know when that could happen and even if itā€™s possible. But itā€™s definitely on our ā€œwishlistā€!

2 Likes

I was thinking about buying the lifetime access, probably should have acted earlierā€¦ But anyway, in my opinion this course is worth the price and 45$ a year is not likely to make anyone bankrupt.

1 Like

Earlier today, I got an email from the JustinGuitar team confirming thisā€¦ Thanks!

Email I have just received, would have been nice to have received before all the kerfuffle yesterday. Still nice to have got the confirmation although Laryne did advise this yesterday. Seems to be changes on the way will need to remain vigilant.

Must admit I was a bit worried to see that banner headline, when I received the mail not long ago. Only to read my life time access was still available and unchanged.

So life continues and nothing important for me, at least. Can only assume its some type of template mail and adjusted accordingly for Lifers, Yearly on Monthly subs. Panic over and cheque book back in the drawer !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

for me its not so much the price change as the lack of information. this is the second time there has been a price increase with no advance notice, the first being the app price jump. the least you can do is advise ā€œthe price will go up on day xā€.

3 Likes

I completely understand the need for a price increase, considering the growing business, having to support a team of people, and dealing with inflation etc. but Iā€™m going to agree with LesPaulMoreRay. Iā€™m not convinced a sudden 3x price increase a few hours after a customer has decided on a purchase at a listed price, regardless of the value proposition, is a good way to go about doing things.

4 Likes

This is simply splitting hairs on a definition. I have paid for the music theory course 4 times and debated switching to the lifetime option but figured even if I went over the cost of a lifetime subscription cost I was OK with that as a way to help support the site. For those of us converting from another currency to USD multiple times to keep access to the course it could get really expensive over time. Of all the things taught on this site I think theory is one of the things you keep going back to over many years and this model doesnā€™t make a lot of sense for this type of content. Making the lifetime cost higher would have made more sense and I would have paid for that.

i just got to module 3 today, wasnā€™t that free in the previous plan? now u have to pay, so only 1 and 2 are free now?

Only the first 2 grades have been free.

Raymond @LesPaulMoreRay
Grade 3 has always been part of the paid for part of the course in my experience which goes back to the beginning of 2022
Michael

If the price increase were implemented a month later, there would also be (potential) subscribers for whom it would have meant a difference of a few days regarding old vs new prices. I may be biased as my current 6 months will expire in July so I have time to prepare.

However, with the exception of the PMT and Strumming SOS, the website content is free anyway. As I understand it, these courses, merch and ad-hoc donations keep the site running. To me, this whole issue seems to be a storm in a teacup.

4 Likes

Agreed.

Also, I could swear, I read somewhere (either in one of the newsletters, PMT subscription renewal emails or in one of the forum posts from Justin) where he warned that eventually the subscription model will have to change, so if anyone wants the lifetime access, they should purchase it asap.

But anyway, thanks to the team for the clarification email. It makes sense now.