It was SUPPOSED to be an Acoustic- NGD

I was down visiting one my 6 sisters-in-law after dropping another off at the Detroit airport Thursday. I drove back home on Saturday, a 4-hour drive but decided to take a small detour to visit the Guitar Center store in Saginaw, a 2.5-hour drive from my house in northern Michigan. I had no intentions of purchasing a guitar, I just wanted to check out some acoustics and see what I might like now that I know a little more about playing. I thought I would at least be able to tell whether one sounded better than another which was impossible for me a mere 4 months ago, the last time I tried.

I was zeroing in on a blue Breedlove but wasn’t necessarily loving it, I’ve been learning on an electric, the Squier Bullet by Fender, and acoustics still seem rather alien to me. So, I wandered back out into the main store and perused the electrics in my price range, just to see mind you, not to buy. I finally got to pick up a semi hollow body, having admired them online and discovered that, dang, those are heavy, heavier than I would like. Then walking over to the used section there was this cherry red PRS SE Soapbar II, made in Korea that looked rather nice and when I asked to plug it in and try a few chords on it sounded even nicer. WAY nicer than my poor Squier.

I immediately searched the internet for a little info on Soapbars, wasn’t much actually. But I really, really liked it. So, called my finance minister (who was under the floor installing ductwork at home, ouch, (sorry dear, here I am playing around in a guitar store while you’re trying to get us central heat). Told him the price, got the okay, with the caveat that it meant no more guitars for a while. I got clarification that it only meant the rest of this year. :smiley: I can live with that.

So here she is, the store called it “custom”. From photos of others on the internet, all I can figure is that the pickguard makes it custom. The pickguard is a little scratched up and there are minor surface scratches in the finish down near the volume knob which are really only visible in certain light. And after I got it home and tuned it to standard tuning (I think it had that double D thing going) I discovered the low E and A strings buzz pretty badly. But even with that it still sounds better than my Squier.

28 Likes

Looks good, dual p90s, I assume PRS own?

And the typical PRS scale?

1 Like

congratulations :smiley:

that buzz on E and A can probably be fixed ater a bit of setup

1 Like

Strange, usually increasing the string tension is likely to result in less buzz

3 Likes

Looks super cool! Congrats!

Given it’s a 2.5 hour drive away from where you bought it, let the guitar acclimatize before you do a setup on it. New guitars often ship with waaaay high action (at least that’s what I’ve noticed), seeing as it’s used someone has put it super low it seems. Either a truss rod or bridge tweak should sort it out - I’d go with bridge first if the bridge allows you to adjust the strings individually.

2 Likes

Very nice! Love the color. Congrats! :guitar:

1 Like

Gorgeous! PRS is always impressive!

1 Like

Congratulations Rebecca! I like the body shape, it looks comfortable. And it seems to be light weight. My favourites also are guitars that are not so heavy. I hope you have fun with it for a long time :blush::guitar:

1 Like

Enjoy your new guitar Rebecca, looking good. :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the Community PRS Owners Club, Rebecca.

I think the PRS SE range are among the best value for money guitars to consider. Mine was a noticeable improvement on my Epiphone LP, which played well and sounded great but was heavy. PRS played as well, sounded better, and as a semi-hollow is way lighter. I expect you will find yours to be a significant upgrade on the Squier Bullet.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi Rebecca, Happy NGD hope you have loads of fun and enjoy playing your new guitar :love_you_gesture: :+1: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
A

1 Like

Yay a new PRS club member :grin:. That’s a ver sweet looking instrument Rebecca, congratulations.

I like your line of having no intention of buying it; for all of us hat one step into a guitar store does funny things to our intentions and wallets!

Have a wild time playing the custom :+1:

2 Likes

Ha, ha, that’s how it starts…just looking…the puppy effect…
Nice looking guitar and as it’s a PRS it won’t disappoint you. Have a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Happy NGD, Rebecca :partying_face::champagne::bouquet::guitar:!!!
And welcome at the ‘Every girl should own a red guitar-Club’ :hugs:.
I wish you loads of fun with it :smiley:.

:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Happy NGD, Rebecca! :partying_face:

What a beauty!! :heart_eyes: :star_struck: Even better that sound is also amazing. Wish you loads of fun and joyful moments with your cherry red PRS. :smiley:

2 Likes

I like how we all tell ourselves this. :smiley:

Happy NGD Rebecca, looks real nice. What did hubby think of it after interrupting his ductwork installation? :rofl:

1 Like

Happy NGD Rebecca.
PRS SE for the 2nd hand bang-for-buck and big quality win.
Soapbar is the PRS equivalent to a Gibson pickup called a P90.
They are single coil - you may get a little single coil hum at high gain - but they rock and are super versatile.
You have a single-piece wraparound bridge which when the guitar is set up to its best / to your liking should be a winner too.

2 Likes

Cherry Red, what’s not to love ? Cracking looking PRS Rebecca, should sound great with the Soapbars/P90 pups ! Happy NGD.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, this is used and as other than the buzzing the strings are so easy to play compared to my Squier it may have had a setup sometime in its past. I will be tweaking it in the near future when I get the chance. It’s a hardtail, so I’m not sure how much I can do with the bridge.

1 Like

Congratulations :grinning:
This guitar looks amazing! I love the colour and the shape of it.
Have lots of fun with this beauty :guitar:

1 Like