Jeff - JG songs project (Brown Sugar ... added on 21 April 2023)

What do you do when you’ve been playing the guitar for more than 15 years, but never actually shared anything with anyone but your wife and kids? That’s right - create this humble little thread in this amazing community. :wink:

The idea is to pick out various Beginner and Intermediate level songs that I love and see if you’ll enjoy my take on them. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Song Artist Grade Date
Anarchy In The UK The Sex Pistols Grade 2 Feb 12, 2023
All the Small Things Blink 182 Grade 3 Feb 12, 2023
Basket Case Green Day Grade 3 Feb 22, 2023
Californication Red Hot Chili Peppers Grade 4 Mar 4th 2023
Wild World Cat Stevens Grade 3 Mar 21, 2023
Plush Stone Temple Pilots Grade 5 Mar 29, 2023
Space Oddity David Bowie Grade 4 Apr 7, 2023
Brown Sugar The Rolling Stones Grade 4 Apr 21, 2023
Ace of Spades Motörhead Grade 5 May 10, 2023
Paranoid Black Sabbath Grade 3 May 28, 2023
Run to the Hills Iron Maiden Grade 5 June 13, 2023
Wild Horses The Rolling Stones Grade 2 June 26, 2023
Crazy Little Thing Called Love Queen Grade 3 July 19, 2023
Where Is My Mind Pixies Grade 4 August 24, 2023
We’re Not Gonna Take It Twisted Sister Grade 3 September 21, 2023
My gear

Acoustic guitar - Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
Electric guitar - Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy
Electric guitar - Fender Standard Stratocaster
Boss Katana 100W MKII

Recording setup

Electric guitar => Boss Katana, Shure SM57 dynamic mic + Line out
Acoustic guitar => Rode NT2-A condensor mic

The input signal goes into a SSL2 audio interface.

Backing tracks (vocals, drums, bass and possibly other instruments) are taken from the internet and mixed with my guitar parts in Logic Pro X.

10 Likes

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

9 Likes

Blink 182 - All the Small Things

7 Likes

Cool stuff Jeff.
You’ve got all the gear and a great idea!
I listened to Blink 182 earlier in the safe space, just listening to Anarchy now.
:clap: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Jeff, great project and sounding awesome too! Especially Anarchy which is killer! :metal: Did you use a tone patch on the Katana for that one or did you dial that in yourself? Sounded great either way! Can’t wait to hear (or maybe see?? :wink:) more :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes I have a pretty extended Katana patch library from various sources. I usually look for patches that sound good and then tweak them to my liking. They always sound different when you use them as part of your own setup.

1 Like

Top quality performances Jeff, really pleased you’ve shared them with us and can’t wait for more!

1 Like

Ah terrific Jeff! It made me turn the volume up and blow my eardrums apart. Again :rofl:

1 Like

Two terrific tracks there Jeff. I enjoyed listening to them, especially the Blink track.

1 Like

Green Day - Basket Case

Here’s my rendition of another punk classic - Basket Case by Green Day. I don’t have any special affinity for the genre, yet I seem to be systematically picking out punk songs. Next time I’ll try something different from Grade 4, that’s a promise.

4 Likes

Very well played Jeff definitely following Green Day to the bone guitar wise, cool!

1 Like

That was really good Jeff. You’ve really captured the Green Day vibe.

1 Like

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

This Grade 4 song was a little harder than the previous ones that are mostly power chord driven. The chords in Californication are fairly easy, but the rhythm in the solo is a bit more challenging.

4 Likes

That was excellent Jeff. Great work on the solo as well.

1 Like

Cat Stevens - Wild World

My first try at recording an acoustic piece. What a fun tune to play!

4 Likes

This sounded fantastic!

1 Like

Great playing and singing there Jeff. Nice mixing of fingerstyle and strumming. From a personal point of view I felt it didn’t need the backing track.

1 Like

Oh my, that’s definitely Cat on the vocals. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

So I’ve decided to attempt a Grade 5 song. I love this tune, but it has a few tricky rhythm parts. The acoustic version is great, but I still prefer the electric one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I loved it Jeff. Some very sweet playing there and what a great song.

1 Like