JG Community Youtube Channel - please subscribe

But they would have to go searching for it. With public setting other content suggests your content. I find it absurd the official travis channel suggesting my poor cover of one of their songs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

@sairfingers

Gordon, you seem to be having a little bit of a worry about this. Donā€™t. All is good. All is calm. Fret not. :slight_smile:

It will simply host our Open Mic recordings.

Will it ever in future be used for other things? Who knows ā€¦ maybe if we see a need. But right now it will host OM recordings.

It doesnā€™t. It mentions OM recordings, not Livestream. Livestream will (unless decided differently with an accompanying announcement) continue on the main JustinGuitar channel.

Yes, the links are on the Community within the archive topic and within the after-show topics. Historically, @adi_mrok provided the Zoom meetings and he recorded all OMs. He also did all video editing. He then uploaded all completed recordings to his personal Youtube channel. That is where they still reside.
We now have our own Zoom licence so do not use Adiā€™s anymore. Adi still takes the recordings and offers his time freely to edit the recordings. And I want to express our continuing thanks and appreciation for the time that Adi devotes to this - love & respect Adrian! :slight_smile:
However, for various reasons, we decided it made more sense to upload recordings to a dedicated Community Youtube channel rather than one personā€™s personal channel.

I donā€™t know how to answer that question without knowing what you mean by the phrase ā€˜open to anyoneā€™.

Nothing - as of yet. Will the Livestreams move there in future? Perhaps. It could be next logical step. But perhaps not.

8 Likes

You do have a point a clear briefing in your welcome mail perhaps? but I thought myself ā€¦ it is a guitar site and what is ever hidden on the internet? .Canceling a party because you have a performance at an open mic (and don`t) is dangerous and perhaps useful to know this :smile:

1 Like

FAO EVERYBODY

If you are getting concerned about privacy then please do raise your concerns.
But honestly, nothing is changed or different or more or less private if posted on the new Community Youtube than it has ever been.

• Non-registered users can read Community posts.
  • Unlisted Youtube videos can be viewed by anybody who has access to the link.
  • Posting an unlisted Youtube link in this Community means that - theoretically - any one of the billions of people in the world who have internet access could find the topic it is posted in, click the link and view the video.
  • Theoretically, a video you thought you were sharing only to a select number of Community members could be viewed by others.
  • Open Mic recordings on the new Community Youtube channel will be no different.
  • Videos uploaded to the Beginner Safe Space topic are no different.

Is this news to people?

If you use a Community Username that is not your real name, and you never tell people you know in real-life what your username is, then it would take a rather dedicated effort and some concentrated Google-fu to find you within the Community and from thee watch your videos - assuming they know that you have uploaded videos.

But we are not a closed group. Everything ā€˜in hereā€™ can be read by other people ā€˜out thereā€™.

11 Likes

Thank you, Richard. Apparently, I had chosen to ignore these facts so far. All good. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Nicole - :slight_smile: :+1:

Thanks Richard, no problem on my side. But thanks for the effort to pointing this out. My initial post was just a response to JKs reply. Have a nice Sunday!

Shouldnā€™t be I hope. Posting stuff on the Internet, itā€™s public.

5 Likes

@Richard_close2u
Thanks for the detailed replies Richard (and apologies from me for saying incorrectly that Livestreams would be hosted on the new channel).
As several here have said, we should all be aware that the internet is an ā€˜openā€™ place.
We are warned constantly by consumer watchdog tv programmes that those with ill intent constantly search the internet looking for personal details which over time can be pieced together to form a profile. Of course no one will be posting their bank account details here and I know the mods delete peoplesā€™ email addresses when they use them as usernames etc.
I take your point that it would take a dedicated person to search for a username and then associate it with a real identity, but criminals are dedicated, thatā€™s their job. Clearly a video/post about learning Dm is of no interest, but a post for example about travel guitars and subsequent photos of that travel guitar being used in France (:smiley:) tells people that itā€™s ownerā€™s house is unoccupied.
Donā€™t worry, Iā€™m not as paranoid as that makes me sound.:smiley: Iā€™m just trying to make a point.

The issue here is, I think, that we can get lulled into a sense of security that our posts, thoughts and photos are only being read by our virtual guitar buddies, when in fact the whole internet connected world can read them.

2 Likes

Funny that as it reminds me of a time, several years ago now, when I shared some in-the-moment holiday photos on my personal social media account (begins with F ends with book) and my brother went ballistic at my irresponsibility, almost suggesting I had placed a neon sign above my front door inviting all of the local burglars to come and rob my empty house!

2 Likes

It would also be interesting to know if @brianlarsen has made any new friends following on from his most recent video exploits. :joy:

4 Likes

Should I ever post my playing publicly, the only ones in harms way would be the public.

But good to keep in mind not to include any private information in ones videos.

As to profiling, every thing we do, every internet posting (including this post), every non-cash purchase we make, forms we fill out, internet/social media we scan through, sometimes even where we walk or drive with a phone in our pocket, everything is recorded and used to create a profile that is used to try to sell us stuff.

So if a video of me on a guitar brings more offers to buy guitar related stuff and somehow adds to my incomprehensibly complex profile that I like guitars, so be it.

What was the old Isaac Asimov series, ā€œFoundationā€? Where they had gathered so much information about people and behavior over centuries that they could accurately predict the future hundreds or thousands of years down to individual actions. Not there yet, but itā€™s coming!

1 Like

ā€¦ adds a few more groupies, so be it :wink:

Still here, Rogier :rofl:
Seems like this thread has morphed from ā€œIā€™m here too, numberā€¦ā€ to ā€œIs this stuff really public?ā€ :laughing:
Iā€™ve been banging on to my kids since they first went online that they need to assume EVERYTHING they share electronically is public- So be nice and donā€™t do bad stuff. Everything is stored somewhere, and even if not made public now, thereā€™s a good chance that somewhere down the line it will be.
The good news is of course, that unless you have a high profile, nobody actually cares.
I share tons of private stuff online. Tbh, I donā€™t really care who knows. I get the odd ā€˜helloā€™ from a stranger, but never had any problems.
I prefer going through life carefree rather than being worried about my security, whether physically or online :smiley:

Haha, not quite, Gordon. Although I did have an unexpected positive interaction :smiley:
I knew of course, that there would be a section of the audience (over 12K to date!) likely to be grossed out/offended by my set, and I did respond to a negative comment on YouTube. I took an explanatory, non-confrontational approach and the chap apologised. I discovered a very interesting link to a physics/philosophy debate on his channel in the process. Win win situation :smiley:

4 Likes

:laughing:
You write down the rest of my thought :sunglasses:

ā€¦just a little sidetrack and back to the numbersā€¦if Richard has registered 2 times that actually makes me a number 10 (was eleven so feel free to call it a 10 +) ā€¦ but then you are then a number Two :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Yesterday I actually didnā€™t dare to type it, but now I dare, Iā€™ll wait and see what Karma will do for me later in life :innocent:
Greets :smiley:

Ps:

Liked that so much :smiley:

2 Likes

Good old Hari Seldon and is study of psychohistory. I love the story and read the trilogy 3 or 4 times as a teenager.

1 Like

You handled it a very grown up wayā€¦ good on you buddyā€¦ thatā€™s the problem sometimes with things like the live streamsā€¦ not all of the audience has had the pleasure to get to know you before youā€™ve performed and thereā€™s always a heckler in the crowdā€¦ Iā€™m pretty sure though you got some cat calling too when you were performingā€¦ and not just from @roger_holland

3 Likes

All good.
I made a reply to the comment also.

1 Like

ā€¦ usually me :rofl:

Support duly noted, @Richard_close2u. I think Iā€™ve got most of the ā€˜eccentricityā€™ out of my system for the foreseeable future :laughing:

3 Likes

Hello all.

I have updated the Open Mic Archive topic with all new links to the past events
That pinned topic is here: JustinGuitar Community Open Mic Events - Video Archives

Here is a direct link to a playlist of all 17 Open Mic events in chronological order.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeZuOXStZWnjhmEXocl10u3uBWu70zNSG