JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

Gooodmorning JK AND Brian,… @brianlarsen :innocent:

How good that you did it again, nice start to the morning :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:(and now I don’t understand what’s wrong if you have the same backing track at all, but that doesn’t matter to me,if i got to the same problem I call you)

Just to keep you sharp (and I was afraid of an extra attention for my short “singing” adventure :laughing: )…but maybe the most fun to find out later that you find out that you almost missed us talking about you and not tagging you :rofl:…yes i know this is not my first time ,nor will it be the last I’m afraid :innocent: Have a fantastic weekend and good luck with your activities, I sincerely hope that it is all fun and good things Brian @brianlarsen …so three times, now you can use two as spares :smile:

:blush:

:joy:
I’ve been practicing Greensleeves every day since your post, but I haven’t played it (at least) 4 times without mistakes in a row, and I really have to do that first…Aaaaapressurepressurepressure
I also play it right in front of you in my head at least 4 times a day :flushed: :confounded::joy:
Now all I want to talk about is your rock adventure here, GO ON JK :metal:
Greetings…

2 Likes

Sounds good :+1:

I guess in internet land for non standard tuning it’s easier to ‘share’ a song as if playing standard tuning, here’s what I mean…

Yes, if you tune down half a step and play an ‘A’, your actually playing an Ab etc… but look at the chord sheet for the ‘proper’ chords, it’s horrible:

Much easier to learn if your looking at ‘A’ ‘D’ & ‘G’ :

Then just a comment to say yep, like this just tune down half a step….

All good learning :grinning:

1 Like

Will come, for sure! Someday…It isn’t as bad as you think! You are making really good progress and one day, you’ll get totally relaxed, you can bet :wink:. And when not, look at Joe Bonamassa’s faces…you are in good compagny.

1 Like

That sounds really cool Jk! And seems a lot of fun too! As regards facial expressions Justin suggests in some video to fake a smile, I think that a lesson only on this aspect would be very useful. If I understand well he’ll do a Q&A thing soon, so we might drop our request there…in the meanwhile my advice is…fake! It’s not meant to be cheating, it has its value, hopefully Justin will explain that more clearly than I can do.

2 Likes

@SILVIA How true, and in front of an audience, if you manage the smile, someone you look at is bound to smile back at you, making the connection between him/her, the music you are playing and yourself, making it all worthwhile …

Of course in front of a camera, that is way more difficult.

But who am I to talk about it, when I concentrate playing, I even close my eyes…

2 Likes

@SocratesDiedTrolling

Hi, as a songbook, I have had more use from the two beginner song books, just for the repertoire. That’s because Justin put the acoustic songbook together mostly covering 80’s and 90’s music, which did not reach me at that time in my life. Too many performers I hadn’t heard about. So I have little feel for the songs. So back then it had me focus on the odd three Beatles Songs in there (Blackbird, Norwegian Wood and Here There and Everywhere. There are two Nirvana Songs there, one of which I did (In the pines), and Tears in Heaven and the Acoustic Layla from Clapton’s unplugged album , and Father and Son, from Cat Stevens. That leaves quite a few songs that I did not know, and hadn’t listened to. Some Gordon Lightfoot would have been nice, some Neal Young would have been great, and some other folk and singer songwriter oriented songs from the late 1960s. All in all, out of the 50 songs in that book, I have 5 with one tickmark, 3 with two tickmarks and 3 with three tickmarks. I guess 20 years later not all of the songs in the Acoustic Songbook have withstood the test of time as regards popularity, and some that deserved to be in there actually ended up in the 2nd Beginners Songbook.

Said that, I think I have almost all of the JG songbooks, and never regretted getting them.

3 Likes

There’s some sort of magic smiling circle going on when you’re are among people :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: What I do in front of the camera is totally faking, end up feeling silly and have a good laugh at my own self :joy: It actually works to melt the tension down and keep me in a good mood :grin:

3 Likes

J, Yeah, a huge difference to my ears. Sounding good. Something to watch for in the future.

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff JK. Caught in on the Tube first off, just to be ahead of the game. A really great song to cover and you did a fantastic job of it.

I’m looking forward to see which others ones you do from the rock book.

2 Likes

Thanks @nzmetal @LBro @liaty @roger_holland and @oldhead49 for checking it out again with the updated BT - a lesson learned for me on how to use karaoke-version backing tracks and picking the right key. I had just assumed it would be the same as the album key and the off-tuning on the album caused that sound… nope!

Something else coming soon… :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Good to see you posting videos again JK. That was top quality!

^ this was definitely my approach in the first year or two. I didn’t care too much if I could only play a song slowly or with an unrecognisable strum or with dud notes ringing out in between… which I’m still guilty of doing sometimes :slight_smile:
I guess my early strategy was to hope that the combined mileage of the songs would help improve my chord changes, strum patterns, barre shapes, etc

But all of your covers wouldn’t be out of place at a live gig mate. Keen to see your other upcoming songbook covers too.

1 Like

Fantastic - also the “pub level” idea is just great !

1 Like

La Grange by ZZ Top - Rhythm Guitar Cover

In the grand tradition of just getting it out there rather than perfecting it, here’s my cover of ZZ Top’s La Grange. C grade pub band quality, but if you’re drunk enough you won’t notice the mistakes! :rofl: No shredding here, I left that for the backing track.

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, I skipped a couple of the songs in the rock songbook because they’re a bit dull to play. This one is fun, even though it’s repetitive. And really quite tricky to do it at this speed, for me at least. Way easier to play it clean slowly.

Click me:
la grange cover

19 Likes

Jk…Oooooh my, :flushed:oh my,
Wonderfully played…supper heavy. :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses: :clap:
I have to say there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on… have you bought new shoes or something?nails trimmed?

Greetings and THANKS :rofl:

1 Like

Well played! This song, while repetitive, is still super tough to play. I also find that it’s easier to play it clean. When I did, I played the entire track clean and added the distortion after. How’d you feel about the hybrid picking? That felt really tough at first for me.

Also, I almost spit out my morning coffee when I saw the thumbnail JK, lol.

1 Like

I love the creative solution to the “guitar face” problem :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know what, I did trim my nails! :joy::crazy_face:

1 Like

Mission accomplished :wink:.

The hybrid picking was challenging to get to grips with. Especially the bits where the pick is easier to go up vs down… hard to explain when. I feel I’m used to it now but took a while.

1 Like

I really felt like I was in the band :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A fully unexpected outfit there JK, really made me chuckle when I first saw the thumbnail of the video, that is way beyond @brianlarsen 's blue wig :rofl:

Sounded really cool overall, you don’t have issues with timing in this sort of tunes which is a good thing. One comment I could make is that intro I would play perhaps with a bit more of a palm mute action in place, to get a crisp transition between the intro and the rest of the song. Other than that more practice to get edges polished up and you are good to go with more posh alike Pub than a dodgy C grade ones :laughing: all the best JK

1 Like