July 2023, Again Original Remake

Just posted it here: WIP Song233 - Community Recordings / Originals (Not Covers) - JustinGuitar Community

Still work in progress. Dunno if adding some atmosphere or even lyrics.

I liked it good job man!

It’s was also something to do with getting repeat listens.

Yeah, I’d assume there are even more factors in that matter.
For me, I think it helps to focus parts in the creative process too, just for myself.
Financially though,if you ever think about repeat listens, it sounds logical. It’s like double the money per listening time. Interesting point.

That was really good Byron and nice work on the percussion too. I was getting a feeling that the percussion should have maybe carried on for a couple more bars after you’d finished playing and singing, maybe give it a whirl and see what you think?

Is that a new acoustic too, or have you always had a Taylor? :smiley:

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it SgtColon! Ive had that guitar for about 2 years now, so yeah its kinda new! :slight_smile: Way better than my yamaha that I always played.

1 Like

@Bytron08 On a variation of the length idea, I heard a songwriting tutor say ‘To repeat an idea brings familiarity to the listener, but a third time wears thin.’ So in terms of length, I try and introduce some variation in the song to keep the listener interested. This could be in the form of…

• A bridge e.g. after the chorus is played a second time
  • A verse played differently to create variation and texture e.g different style or instrumentation, but not straying too far from the original
  • Making the chorus sound different from the verse e.g. through instrumentation, key change, vocal harmonies etc. Making it ‘pop out’.
  • An instrumental over verse or chorus
  • A riff or instrument motif inserted e.g. between 1st chorus before returning to the verse

These might help keep the listener engaged, but still runs this risk of going too long if overused. I too am always wary if I go over 3:30 - which used to be the radio play rule. Also, I find it best not to use all of the above in a single song.

Keep up the good work!