Justinguitar Clubs - a few questions

Cheers, At least I know it’s not me getting things all wrong.

1 Like

Ah cool, I thought it was just me having this issue / doing something wrong!

1 Like

yeah, I just get attend as attendee…then the passcode box

I’m honestly, starting to think that I’m just not supposed to join the meeting lol

1 Like

I had exactly the same thing.

I used the ‘Zoom Meeting Link’ but was also asked for a ‘meeting password’ so had to give up in the end. Hope this works without a password next time. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hey folks, I got the same issue but was able to join & will explain how below and why I believe some had this issue.

@Richard_close2u & @larynejg I hope you don’t mind me putting this here :face_with_peeking_eye: :slight_smile:

I was caught with a work matter which meant I was late joining, so I quickly just jumped into my emails and saw this one had come in:

However, the Zoom meeting link in that email (under both the “Zoom meeting link” & “Join Now” buttons) was configured such that it prompts you to sign-in when clicked on. That particular version of a Zoom meeting link is useful for the host or alternative hosts as they need to be signed-in to get their assigned rights, however typically this type of link isn’t necessary for other attendees (unless sign-in is enforced on the meeting).

You can tell if a link prompts for sign-in by looking at the URL and if it has an “s”, as highlighted below (being the link in the email), then that prompts. If there is a “j” there instead, then you just join without being prompted. S = sign-in and J = join being the obvious logic I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I simply changed that “s” to a “j” and it let me in.

If you didn’t know to do that though, then the obvious option is to click below the sign-in prompt which says to just join as an attendee.

However, when doing that, you are then presented with a pop-up asking for the meeting passcode (which is kind of dumb, Zoom, as the passcode was included in the original URL that was clicked!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :joy: ).

I don’t believe the passcode was obviously posted anywhere so that would have been a seemingly impassable barrier for a lot of people.

I did however check the previous email I received to join the meeting on Zoom and it had the correct link with the “j” in it, so I think it was just the “LIVE CLASS” one that had the “s”.

Passcodes are an important security step in my mind, however it could be useful to provide the passcode to registrants as well, in case this or a similar issue arises in the future.

Hope this was helpful and in no way is it a slight on the organisation of this event, which I thought was fabulous! :smiley: I have made this same error myself, sending that link in haste to a Pro Vice Chancellor at our university to join an important meeting, then confusing them thoroughly with why it wouldn’t let them in! :flushed: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Also, in case you are planning to use that same Zoom link again, I would probably delete it in the post above just to be prudent, or not just use that one again :sunglasses: :+1:

10 Likes

@nzmetal

That is really helpful. Thank you.

The JG team have only used Zoom on one previous occasion (the live theory class) and the link was sent out by email only.
This is the first time that a Zoom link has been integrated into auto messages and into a web page.

The software use is a brand new venture and the team is having to learn as we go. All such help is really valuable to improving the smooth running as a whole so thank you.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

As I have just mentioned on the feedback form - I thought that was an enjoyable hour and thanks to all those involved! :grinning:

There was obviously going to be some teething issues (access, sound balance, ‘Chairing’ (well done @Richard_close2u :clap: - so funny when you muted Justin :rofl:) but considering the numbers involved and this being the first event, I think it went more smoothly than it may have done …

I expect that by it’s very nature, the content would be difficult for Justin to be able to cover the abilities of everyone attending - but I certainly still got something from it as an advanced beginner / intermediate level player.

Maybe worth having a collated set of resources to accompany the video when/if it is published with a specific set of the 2-or-3 example ‘licks’ that were used to save having to find them somewhere in the already published lessons?

1 Like

@larynejg as per above I cancelled the class for 3rd Dec and then rebooked - that was about 2 hours ago, no email received yet (all of the other club booking emails came through within minutes) if the link in the original email is the same then I’m not bothered about receiving another confirmation email as the website shows me as attending - just thought I’d let you know :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the clubs are a fantastic resource on top of everything else we get for free :partying_face: so thank you to all of the team. I’m encouraged to hear that there may be other days/dates set in the new year as I was disappointed that I couldn’t attend the Vintage Club but Monday evenings are out for me :crossed_fingers:

@larynejg

I did not receive the initial mail for Blues #1, but I did receive for blues #2 and #3. I had signed up for blues #1 only a day before the event. I did get the mail telling us of the overflow about 3 hours before the event.

I signed up for #2,#3 yesterday after #1 completed. I received the mails a few moments later, about 22:15 UTC.

So, it looks to be working for me now.

Will the recording of the session. Be available to everyone?

Or do I have to say “I’ll attend”, in order to see the recording of the meeting?

Thanks.

@larynejg - I did the CANCEL and ATTEND again for a couple of club sessions a few days ago and did not receive updated emails. I tried again yesterday, but again did not received new emails. Please let me know if I’m doing something wrong…

Thanks!

Tom

In yesterday’s news letter Justin said the Zoom license is for 1000 people and there was 1500 requests.

Indeed but max actually at the event was around 880.

The number shown as interested/attending on the website (ie applied to attend) was actually just short of 1900 when I looked about 10 mins to kick off. During the “meeting” the number of guests peaked at 860. So many folk applied but either did not show up or, as described here, had problems getting in. But there was still some wriggle room, as it never hit the 1000 max attendee limit. :sunglasses:

Don’t shoot the messanger I’m just reporting what was said in the news letter. I have no dog in this fight.

1 Like

No worries Rick not criticising, just counting :wink:

Any news on when the video will be uploaded to view. I did attend it live but the quality for me was awful and unwatchable.
Out of sync. Picture freezing etc. I have good internet speeds of around 60meg.
It was my first time using zoom and was using a Chromebook. Don’t know if I did anything wrong. Struggled to get on at first but when I did it was unwatchable as I said before.
Hopefully going to try again with part2 and ideally would like to watch part 1 first.

Any updates on the 1st livestream being available to view. It’s now missing from the blues club’s page but I can’t find it anywhere else.

3 Likes

Great question :+1: