Katana 100 Mk 2 speakers and headphone at the same time

I don’t know if this is possible, I haven’t found out how to do it yet.

Is it possible to plug in the headphones into the headphones socket and still have the amp playing through it’s speakers?

The reason I am asking is that when I play with another guitarist playing lead and I am playing rhythm, I cannot hear my playing without turning it up and swamping the lead. I would love to have in-ear buds to monitor my playing and still have the amp playing through the speakers. At the moment, when I plug the headphones in it turns off the speakers.

Hoi Tony,
I’m guessing you need that kind of cable …
Greetings

1 Like

It’s not possible to use headphones and speaker on the Katana when plugged into the headphone socket.

You could use the line out to some sort of headphone amp or an audio interface, and plug headphones into that.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks, I haven’t seen that cable before. I am assuming that the large connectors are the normal guitar to amp lead and then I can plug the headset into the small socket on the end of the lead.

Hi Keith, I wondered if that would be way to go. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I think so, but as mentioned it is a guess, this cable was used with a pedal and amp.lost the link :see_no_evil:
Now i must go out ,so hope you find some more information… :grinning:

1 Like

I’m really not sure that’s how that cable works. I think the quarter inch plugs into the guitar and amp as normal. The 3.5mm jack is then intended to plug into the headphone/aux out on the amp (or whatever device you are using). You then just plug the headphones into the 3.5mm socket near the quarter inch that plugs into your guitar. So in this case you’ll have the same problem if you plug it into the headphone out on the Katana.

I’m struggling a bit to understand why you can’t hear your guitar if you are both using amps. What sort of environment are you playing in? if it’s live then perhaps you need to look at a slightly different setup. If it’s in the studio/practice room then you should be different enough tone wise that you can hear yourself. Rhythm and Lead (if both playing a Rhythm part.) should complement each other rather than clash. During a solo it shouldn’t be a problem.How do you cope with drums playing as well? maybe a video would help to understand the issue.

1 Like

The cable shown won’t work. It is just two parallel cables. I am not sure what it is for, honestly as almost all headphone jacks are designed to switch off the speaker.

Headphones and amp inputs are very different impedances and are not interchangeable. That means you can’t just tap off the speaker output.

If you have a second amp, you can daisy chain them and use the headphone output on the second one.

You could split your guitar output and route one to a small headphone amp, but it won’t sound like the Katana output.

Your best bet would be to point the Katana speaker right at you and stand in front of it so you hear it better.

1 Like

Found it,
It`s a TC Helicon guitar/headphone combo cable…

1 Like

Thank you @Rossco01 , @Jamolay and @roger_holland .

It is in a live setting and the main lead amp goes through one of the Boss speakers that have the tall tower on the top and gives a signal all around. This is great for me hearing the beat and following along, but being still very much a beginner, if I try to concentrate on my amp I am sometimes loosing my concentration on the main tune, beat etc.

Practicing at home I use my tablet to play the main track and have my playing in one ear via the headset. It was this setup I was hoping to replicate.

It’s not a deal braker as so far it’s not been that much of a problem as I stand near my amp to get a feeling of what I am playing. It’s not the chords as such I want to hear, it’s when I am playing a duff note in the chord. I suppose that if I cant hear the duff notes, the audience probably cant either :wink:

Okay Tony that explains it a little. I’m not sure what the boss speaker is…a tall speaker sort of sounds like he’s going through a PA rather than amp. Is his amp mic’d up or is he using a multifx straight into a mixer. Ideally from a band perspective you’d mic your amps and put them into a mixer then you can freely adjust the volume and mix for front of house…plus also have a monitor in front of you dialled as you want OR even position your amps for that instead…probably a setup that’s a bit much for you at the moment (but if he’s using a PA then maybe not).

Honestly the audience will not have a clue about the odd duff chord. If that’s all it is I wouldn’t worry about it. In a mix it’s very difficult to tell if an individual goes wrong unless your are a musician and even then it’s not easy unless everyone goes wrong.

What might be an idea is to get together outside of performing live and just practice. I know it’s not always possible but honestly getting together as band to practice (rather than doing it individually) make a massive difference. I do mean practice rather than learn songs…learning songs you do at home putting them together as a band you do at practice.

2 Likes

No experience here, but I imagine that trying to listen to the group mix and also listen to yourself through a monitor, especially an in ear monitor, is a more advanced skill. I imagine it is quite difficult.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes we do get to practice the set before the night, and yes, learning the songs is done at home. As you say I am probably more paranoid than I need be. He is a semi professional guitarist and I just join him on stage for a few ‘private’ gigs with out caravan friends. This February i the first time I will be up there for a long period rather than just a couple of songs. I basically don’t want to let him down.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will stay with the system I have already got as I know it works for me.

I imagine you might be right there. It’s different at home where I can ‘monitor’ each ear. However with the added pressure of live playing, it might not be a good idea :wink:

That won’t work!

This cable is designed to provide a parallel guitar to multifx unit or amp connection alongside a headphone output extension. It’s basically a guitar cable and a headphone cable in a single cable, but it acts like two separate cables.

If you got a guitar cable and a headphone cable and glued them together along most of their length, you would get the same sort of thing.

The guitar and headphone connections are entirely separate.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

@Majik , many thanks. This is the good thing about this community is that it stops me making silly errors.

I think you mean Bose. Like one of these:

It’s basically a PA system.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Rossco has it right, although I would say that, with decent modern multifx units and units like the Katana, taking a line output to the mixer rather than mic’ing the cabinets is the way to go.

I used to do sound for a band who had some older tube amps, and we mic’ed them because the line out from the amps (even with some sort of speaker emulation) was rubbish. More modern systems, including the Katana, have very good line-out tones and using them saves the cost and hassle of mics (which are prone to a lot of feedback on stage).

A common approach is to use the amp as a local monitor, and have the line-outs for the instruments connected to the mixer and through to the PA. If you have backing tracks, these can go the same way. There are limitations to this, but it’s OK for smaller gigs.

Whether you can do that with the Bose will depend on how many inputs it has. The Bose L1 Pro 16, for instance, has 2 x XLR and and aux, plus Bluetooth. Assuming he’s using the two XLRs for his amp and a microphone, then you might be able to connect line-out to the aux input (unless that’s in use too).

If he has a mixer connected to the Bos with spare inputs, connecting the line out from the Katana into that would probably be best. The Katana speaker will then still work and you can adjust the level of that to use as a monitor.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thats the one. He goes through his Fender amp into that.

@Majik thank you for that explanation. If I every decide, or get invited, to join his group, then we would have to work something out on these lines. At the moment, I just join him for a bit of fun, so keeping it simple. :wink: