Kevin's Learning Log

Hi!

Just stumbled across the Learning Logs, and it seemed really like a great Idea. I don’t know what I am supposed to write here, but here is a start:

To sum things up:

:guitar: Gear

• Acoustic: Ibanez guitar
  • Electric: Squier Bullet Strat HSS BSB (Sunburst)
  • Headphone Amp
  • yep - that’s it :smiley:
Pictures

:star2: Longterm Goals:

• Feel confident playing a large number of Jazz standards
  • Play percussive fingerstile songs
  • Be able to Improvise freely and to jam with others

:dizzy: Midterm Goals

• Learn Extended Chords with different Roots
  • Finish All Positions of the major scale
  • Learn Pentatonic Scales 2-5
  • Learn 6 Jazz Standards by heart
  • Learn 6 Fingerstile songs by heart
  • Finding the motivation to do Ear-Training (I just hate it >.<)

:warning: Actually Working on:

• Learn Position 5 of the major Scale
  • Learn 9th Chords
  • Record all Songs I know by heart

Modules, Log :

• Modules 1-4: Done
  • Module 5: Partially open, have to finish the Blues soloing stuff
  • Module 6: Learn all about Jazz
  • Modules 7+: open

:notes: Songs, Done:

Summary

_Jazz

_Classic

• Canon in D
  • Bach Cello Prelude
  • Romanza

_Fingerstile, Folk

• Waltzing Matilda
  • Ashkan Farewell
  • Greensleves

_Fingerstile, Blues

• Sligo River Blues
  • Nobody knows you, when you are down
2 Likes

Nailed it, Kevin. That’s spot on. Some folk also post pictures of their instruments.

And as you progress you post replies to the Topic to keep it up to date.

Good stuff Kevin. Keep at it, it’s fun fun fun

Terrific start Kevin, looking forward to keeping a track on how you get on but looks like a really nice set of goals you’ve set yourself there.
Enjoy!

14.07 Little update:

• started to learn Misty (let the suffering begin! :crazy_face:). First I’ll do the Justin-Version, and then learn the fingerstike: klick!

• also I finished to “Autumn Leaves”, but I will only post it here, to not spam the Recording Section :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,
I can say a lot about it, but I will keep a short summary…WOW :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet: GREAT
Greetings,Rogier

Loved your rendition of Autumn Leaves, Kevin. Again the tone is so good. I think somebody else asked before and maybe I missed the answer but if not would love to know a little more about how you get that tone.

Really cool video effect as well.

I encourage you to post it over in AVOYP, don’t worry about spamming. I think if you were going to post a couple of videos a day for a sustained period that would be a bit much.

Hi David,
Sorry I didn’t saw the reply. Here is my “setup”.

As to the recordings:
Recording really helped me a lot more than I though (as usual Justin is right), because of this - also because it was a lot fun - I wanted to record all the songs I know. I imagine that this would be kind of annoying for everyone else, maybe I’ll do a post for each category to sum everything up.

I’ll a new post vor every new song from then on, normally I need a couple of weeks/ months for each one, so that probably should be alright :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Kevin.

Tone sounds great, with just a touch of reverb and the blend of neck and middle pick-ups.

I can’t speak for anybody else but I’ll find it enjoyable to listen to more songs from you, wherever you post them. Personally I think it would be fine to post all the full songs in AVOYP.

Hi Kevin, well laid and focused guitar learning plan. The hours spent playing the guitar are clearly reflected in the the two posts of you I have seen. You have very well controlled touch of the strings to produce the sound you are aiming for. Even if you post all the songs you have listed above I don’t think it would qualify as spam as you are a Justin Guitar student like any of us. Keep working on it (and posting).