Last Kiss by Pearl Jam - Jorge Leon - Beginner

Hello all! I’ve been playing on and off for the last ten years and am starting to get back into it again. I’ve been VERY inconsistent, so I’m still a beginner but hoping to dedicate myself and start making slow but steady progress. This was one take and not sure why I look so serious/angry when I play, I was actually having a great time! Open to all constructive feedback!

10 Likes

Good stuff. The “guitar face” comes from concentration. Playing in front of a mirror helps, but it might help to do it once you know the song better. At about 2;20 you looked like you were having fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Tony, I think you’re right and I’ll work on the the RGF (resting guitar face) once I know the song better! :joy:

1 Like

Hi Jorge welcome to Community! Very steady rhythm and well played chords, good job and no issues with your playing whatsoever!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback Adi!

You are doing well, getting back into it, Jorge.

Your strumming action looks fabulous, relaxed, with a loose motion of arm and wrist, and producing a pleasing tone from the guitar.

I notice you look repeatedly at your fretting hand and I suspect that back and forth to the app (I assume) to follow the chords was perhaps demanding the extra concentration, displayed on your face.

Your chord changes were good throughout, so maybe try and do less checking, trust yourself, and not worry if a couple of changes aren’t as clean as you’d like when playing the song. You may find it allows you to be more relaxed.

I also wonder about the difference there may be in following the song karaoke style vs playing it with a song sheet as the reference?

Bravo, keep on keeping on.

1 Like

Hi Jorge,
Don’t stop anymore, keep going, you still have the rhythm guitar in your hands :sunglasses: :clap:…so build up from here and you’ll be playing the stars from heaven in no time…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

hello Jorge,

Your are caching up quite well :grimacing:. Everyone of us has a face when in concentration mode, i tend to bite my lips :rofl:.

liked how you kept your hand moving for the entire song, and this tune seems a great sus chords practice as well.

great job! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed feedback David! Good thought on looking at my fretting hand. I’ve been thinking that I need to work on not looking at it, so this is good motivation to start trying that more and more.

Hi Jorge,

My daughter says the same thing to me, that I have a mean/serious face while playing. I laugh every time when she says it and gives me a demo. You had a nice even rhythm and played in time very well. The only thing I noticed was you looked at your fretting hand a lot when changing chords. I still do that for chords that are new to me. One thing I started doing to overcome that is play in complete darkness. It sounds crazy, but it forces you to make a mental map of the fret board and trust yourself that you are playing correctly. Once in a while you may be in the wrong spot, but progress not perfection keeps things moving. Correct it and the mistakes will be fewer as you practice. Thanks very much for sharing-overall great job!

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks Roger! Yes, the last time I stopped was due to a detour into several years of martial arts. Those years are gone now and the kids are out of the house, so I should be good for a while!

Thank Rumil!

1 Like

Thanks Jeff and I like that idea of playing in the dark, maybe I will try it. I think if I can fret without looking, that will be a big move forward in my playing. It’s now on the top of my list of areas to improve! It’s a long list… :wink:

Pretty awesome I thought. Great playing. Watching this has made me go back to this song, it was one I played a while ago but only the basic chords, now I need to add in the embellishments!

1 Like

Nice.
Great rhythm and clean chords.
Well done. :clap::clap::+1:

1 Like

Thanks and yes, the embellishments are a lot of fun and make me feel like a “real” guitar player! :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Ron!

Really nice relaxed, consistent strumming. More difficult than it looks. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you Claudia!

I think we all have the “ guitar face” to some degree. Especially when first learning a song. My wife keeps telling me to relax. I think I need to adopt a signature “attitude “ look!

2 Likes