Lightning Crashes - Guitar Cover

Having literally earlier commented on not posting anything recently, and as it’s a slow WFH Friday, I thought I’d try and knock this one off as it’s been part of my song list for a while but only in consolidation have I played with tones, percussive hits and muted strumming.

I was in the US on my university sandwich year when this came out so I’ve always associated it with that period of my life and got into Live as a band from then. When Justin did his lesson it was an instant “I want to be able to play that” moment.

Plenty of little things I can still improve here with concistent volume of strumming early on and I’m occasionally ever so slightly ahead of the track but all in all this felt pretty good. I’d like to get to doing vocals on this at some point but not my priority for now. It’ll function as a bonus grade 2 consolidation song practicing barre chords and getting used to footswitching :wink:

14 Likes

Very nice Mark! I didn’t know this song, but I like the chords, and you seem to have the changes nailed. Beautiful PRS you have there.

I know how difficult the pull of the guitar can be when you’re WFH. I lost my battle with the guitar and I retired in the end.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Nice song for your consolidation, such a worldwide known song but I always forget the title :blush:… very long so a good strength exercise and you have persevered to keep doing your chords neatly,… …think that your voice will fit perfectly with the quiet parts, so keep the song close to you,… :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,…

1 Like

@twistor59 - Cheers Phil, not sure I’d use the word difficult with guitar and WFH, therapeutic for when work winds you up :wink: :rofl: Thanks for the listen and feedback! Must admit I do love the PRS, she’ll be with me for life!

@roger_holland - Always appreciate your comments Rogier, thank you. This song will certainly stay close for continuing development and vocals, I’ve not even tried to sing with it yet to be honest so hope your suspicions on it suiting me will be correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fabulous Mark. Love this song and this band. I have seen Ed Kowalcyk live since he went solo and some of his stuff is also really good.
Your version and playing was absolutely spot on, and I can’t wait to hear you sing it as well.
Top top stuff Mark!!! :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Eddie! There’s a great acoustic version Ed K did of this a few years back if you’ve not seen it - Live performs “Lightning Crashes” in bed | JoyRx Music #Bedstock 2017

I’ve heard some of his solo work but only the odd song, sounds like it’d be worth checking it out some more, imo he’s got an amazing voice.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Mark. That was great. What a voice alright.
Chris Daughtry has a similar kind of voice if you haven’t already checked him out. Some of his stuff is fantastic.

1 Like

Nice one Mark, great song and well played. Isn’t that phaser effect cool.

1 Like

Cheers JK, surprisingly it’s a flanger rather than phaser, when I first started playing it I’d used a phaser too, Justin’s lesson corrected me. Having said that I can barely tell the difference! :joy: Either way it’s a cool effect and adds to the flow a lot! Hope you’re doing well :+1:

Great one Mark. Well played. Not a song I’m familiar with, look forward to hearing your next update on it with you singing. Interesting to read that you did your sandwich year in the states. What year was that? I spent time over in the states after University. The album that sticks in my mind at that time was Heathen Chemistry as I remember the house getting a copy when it first came out and that got played a lot before we went to see them play in NYC.

1 Like

Thanks for the listen James and comments!

My sandwich year was 1995, Jan to June I was on a work placement in Geneva, armed with CDs if Definitely Maybe and Parklife (amongst others), I don’t need to tell you which got listened to more :wink::joy:. Then July to December was study exchange at Kutztown Unuversity in Pennsylvania, deepest Amish country and a true university town, had an absolute blast I have to say! The album this song is from (Throwing Copper) is well worth a listen. It was in that time I got introduced properly to Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins and, more embarrassingly, Deep Blue Something :joy:

1 Like

Flanging Phasers! :rofl: I have no idea on the difference, one day I’ll get around to trying it out.

1 Like

Me either to be honest with you mate! I’m following the man’s guidance blindly :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t too far from where you were then mate. I didn’t get as deep as that when I was over in the states though I did end up at a Pittsburg University Frat Party. I’d classify that as an educational trip :wink:

1 Like

I certainly had a few of those over there!! Halloween night being one in particular, by that point we’d twigged the way to not get ID’d for bars (was 20 when there), you rocked up at about 4 before doormen started, got to know the barmen and make a point of chatting to on the door guy on the way out. Before long everyone assumed someone must have carded you at some point so you were waved on in like an old friend. Honey Gold beer was tipple of choice (by the pitcher :joy:)

Definitely a life experience and enormously privileged to have had the opportunity. Had a number of cool mini road trips whilst out there, DC, NYC, Baltimore. Good times :+1:

1 Like

Very nice, like this.

1 Like

Mark that was great you really nailed it down, from chords to tone. Stunning work and it’s great to see you taking more and more challenging songs with every cover. You mentioned you want to include vocals in the future, but what about solo?! :grinning: hope to hear it too one day!

1 Like

Thanks Adi! Being cheeky there actually isn’t a solo as such in this one :wink::slightly_smiling_face:.

But on a serious note solo stuff is something I’m working on generally through this period of consolidation. James @Socio has passed on some good exercises in my latest LL update that look like they’ll really help in terms of general improvisation and technique.

So many things to work on….love it! :+1:

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I’m pretty sure I listened to Throwing Copper, purely because of Peter Howson’s cover art (Sisters of Mercy) and it lived in my cd player for a good while afterwards :smiley:
That was a solid barre chord workout and no nits from me. It’ll be worth learning to sing this simultaneously.
You mentioned footswitches. I can’t remember, are you using individual fx pedals?
I know you have the Yamaha THR, so my evil side will just mention (again? :thinking:) that you can get an Airstep YT (£130ish) wireless footswitch (five buttons) to switch between any settings on your amp that you program, and for an extra £100 a cool Trio+ band looper :smiling_imp:
Nice to see the facial muscles getting a workout too. It really is a good indicator of how comfortable you are with performing a song.
And because all my posts are really about ME :rofl:, here’s a cover of Pillar of Davidson I did a while back (using said Trio+ and unusually put through a DAW)

1 Like

Thanks @brianlarsen Brian, good to hear you were a Throwing Copper fan, agreed the cover art is pretty special! Lovey cover of Pillar of Davidson, looking very youthful :wink:

Naughty to throw the GAS temptation at me, but I’m actually ahead of you and am already using an Airstep! :joy:. Also have a Ditto+ looper which I’m just starting to use properly. Feel free to tempt me and my bank account with anything else tho!! Cheers for the listen and comments, I’ve been practicing my smile hard, it’s getting there :slightly_smiling_face:

@adi_mrok I need to correct myself above with the solo comment, I’ve been so lasered on the rhythm work I’m almost blotting it out!! Comes across relatively simple so yep, added to the continued work with this. Might look at doing this all as a multi layered / recorded song to try and level up my DAW work.

1 Like