Lisa_S Oct 2023 - Greensleeves Chord Melody

Hi Folks,

motivated by Rogier’s little lick challenge and the homework of the first PMT Live Class, I decided to do another little recording, which will be Greensleeves as taught in the Chord Melody Module. I was doing some repetition on this tune for a few weeks now, to get the rolls under my finger and work on basic concepts of fingerstyle in a tune rather than just practicing patterns up and down. All this is part of my Grade 3 consolidation. :slight_smile:

To get this off the plate to make room for something new, I thought recording and sharing it here would be a good idea and a nice benchmark to look back to. :smiley: Practice on the same was quite smooth the past week, so now was the time - then RBS kicked in heavily (as mentioned elsewhere already). I was so tense in both me hands and other body parts while recording, that my hands hurt for 5 min after I was finished. :woozy_face: Not good, but luckily this never happens while playing and practicing without the cam on. Solution is probably to record more often - yippieee. :rofl:

I certainly see and hear some issues, but leave them open for now as I want those who want to give it a watch to do so without any bias. :smiley:

I’m open to any kind of feedback and suggestions. Thanks in advance to all that gave a listen. :slight_smile:

Cheers - Lisa

24 Likes

Very nice, Lisa. Love watching your learning progress. Your rolling chords were very impressive.

2 Likes

That was lovely Lisa. Nice and chilled and very enjoyable to listen to. I don’t play much finger style so am not in a position to give you any feedback. Great job!

1 Like

That was very nice Lisa and your rolling chords sound good. Pointing out the obvious here but you need a little more work on the change to the F Barre. Once you’ve got that ringing out you will have this one nailed.

No need for RBS, if you’re not happy just stop the camera and start again.

1 Like

That was beautiful. For recording nerves, one thing you can try is to keep the camera rolling and not to start stop after every ‘take’. Just leave it recording for half an hour and just play. That way you don’t have the same anxious ‘I’ve just pressed record, don’t mess it up’ feeling that we all get :slight_smile:
cheers
Paul.

8 Likes

Well done Lisa. You played that piece with feeling. As you said, this is a benchmark to look back on. You know yourself what you need to work on.

2 Likes

Hello Lisa :slightly_smiling_face:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

What a lovely tune! That was beautiful and I enjoyed it a lot.

I’m just a total beginner and haven’t started any finger style exercises or songs, so I surely don’t qualify for any constructive feedback. But I’ve heard my guitar teacher saying something like “If it sounds good, it is good” :wink:
And your lovely performance surely sounded very good :grinning: :+1:

Thanks for sharing :sunflower:

Cheers
Gunhild :lady_beetle:

1 Like

@pkboo3

Thanks so much for taking your time to listen and leaving some nice words, Pam. Very much appreciated. :slight_smile: I keep on rolling. :smiley:

@Eddie_09

Thanks a lot for checking in and encouraging comment, Eddie. Highly appreciated. Happy it felt chilled, I defintely wasn’t feeling chilled at all. :rofl:

@SgtColon

Thanks so much for taking your time to listen and providing some kind, helpful feedback, Stefan. It is highly appreciated. Yes, that darn F-chord… some days, 99 % of landings work, some days 90 % and other days… :woozy_face: But yes, it’s on my “to-improve-list”.

That’s what I do, but my brain doesn’t get it. :rofl:

@mathsjunky

Thanks a lot for checking in here, Paul. I very much appreciate your kind words.

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for this advice! :smiley: I’m going to try it next time. Only downside is, I have to get myself more proficient in cutting recordings properly. Guess that’s what is being referred to as life-long-learning. :sweat_smile:

@sairfingers

Thanks very much for taking your time to listen and leave some words of encouragement, Gordon. Highly appreciated. :smiley:

@Gunhild

Vielen herzlichen Dank, Gunhild! :smiley: I appreciate your kind words of encouragement and am glad you liked it. Sooner or later in your guitar journey you will come across this piece as well - wish you lots of joy with it in advance! :slight_smile: It’s truely beautiful and some thing to return to once in a while (but now I need a little break though :rofl:).

3 Likes

Nice Lisa! :clap:
Cool vibe and nicely played. got this laid back “spanish sound” vibe from it. witch i love… i think you are well on your way playing fingerstyle… think your technique looks pretty good from my point of view… you had to do a lot of looking on both your fretting hand and picking hand… almost looked like you watched a tennis match :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: but that is understandable and something that will be better…
But at the end of the day i liked it a lot… keep up the great work Lisa! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Trond! I appreciate you took the time to watch and provide feedback and encouragement. :smiley:

Amazing comparison and soo true! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I should try it once with something covering my eyes? :thinking: I always thought during practice, I’m looking more on the fretting hand, but obviously I switch - a lot. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Lisa,
How nice to hear that I inspired you to do something good… :blush:. :sunglasses: :clap:…and you did this in a few weeks :dizzy_face: :sunglasses: :clap:
It took my a few months (you can calculate it because I started the week that Justin released it and even though I didn’t play it for weeks in blocks of 4 or 5 day`s I continued to work on it until I posted it :roll_eyes:) :sweat_smile:

There was a lot to like and what Stefan say`s I echo .
Now that you have posted this, don’t leave it for too long on the side and play this every week sometimes after a little longer rest, because there is now a burden off your shoulders and only now are you going to make the big jump to play it relaxed :smiley: and later without muted notes and in the correct continuous flow post it again , see it as a very good time marker indeed and don’t make the same “mistake” as I did with most of my posted songs in the past :grimacing:…enjoy it and often look back on it with a big smile :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Rogier! Very much appreciated. :blush: :slight_smile:

No worries, the couple of weeks was probably between 2 and 3 montsh (taking together the initial Go on it when I came across the lesson and the past weeks I spent on it more regularly), so it took me also quite some time to get it. :sweat_smile:

That’s a very good idea! :smiley: I’ll do it probably. By the way, it’s not too late for you to do the same with your songs. :joy: :sunglasses:

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice Lisa, ok not perfect but we’ll on the way - break it up into manageable chunks and get each one perfect before you add more, do it that way so that you don’t practice flubs!

1 Like

Hello Lisa, you are doing really well on this one…just a few weeks is quite impressive to tell the truth! It made me good company for months! Brava! You have a very beatiful feeling for those rolling chords, despite the tension. I agree with Darrell you’re well on your way to it! It made me smile, a couple of times it seemed like your hand wanted to strum, maybe just to keep time :blush:

1 Like

Great that you’ve posted another video, and so soon after your lick!

Greensleeves is a tricky one. Rolling chords are hard and chord melody is hard. This one is coming along nicely, keep practicing it and it will get smoother.

In terms of feedback, it’s hard to know what was recording tension and what was not! Anyway, I can’t help myself :grinning:. Because I know the piece.

Your picking hand looked very tense, and when you roll, there was a lot of movement in it and your fingers ended up in a curled up tense position. Have a look at how Justin does it again now you’ve recorded yourself, it’s almost a small hand curl rather than an outwards movement. That will make them easier and also sound more fluid.

The f barre - yep, muted notes. Fingerstyle really, really shows us reality over strumming chords! Doing simple fingerstyle (eg Hallelujah) with an F can help train this - it’s much slower and more forgiving.

The part where you need to lift middle finger off the F barre is super hard - I found I had to really squeeze my barre down at that point to get it to ring.

Keep at it, great progress. Took me a LOOONG time with this one to get it good. There is so much to learn in it.

2 Likes

as i can`t play finger picking it was pretty good if i knew how i would post one of my efforts !

1 Like

:scream: Get off my back :monkey: .
:joy:

Well…I started it the day before yesterday :blush: with the 6th trick (old one is hard to find but I will put it in the open more when finish the new one) , I thought I had it completely right (at least with the right bass notes i thought that) and for some time I have been working on is there any body out there, but it has been on hold for 8 weeks now due to with some physical setbacks…work work work … no fun :sweat_smile:

Ps:I don’t have the total number of days I spent working on this song, but it adds up to more than 60 times rather than 40 times.

Greetings,

1 Like

@DarrellW

Thanks a lot for checking in and leaving encouraging and helpful feedback, Darrell. Much Appreciated.

Exactly what I did in the first intances of practice. Maybe should come back to that part to tackle the tricky (F-barre) bars. :slight_smile:

@SILVIA

Grazie mille, Silvia! :smiley: You kind words and feedback are highly appreciated.

Probably the word “few” was a little bit misleading. Practice time probably adds up to 2 or 3 months on total as well. No wizardry involved here. :sweat_smile:

Glad I could make you smile! :smiley: And yes, it’s for keeping in time.

I think I’ve seen you did record this one as well and I might have seen it already. Will check it out (again). :smiley:

@jkahn

Thank you so much for listening and providing words of encouragement and valuable feedback, JK! Highly appreciated. :smiley:

That’s good and I hoped you check in as I know you did tackle this one as well (need to revisit your version again as well).

Hell, it was! I don’t think it is while practice, but I will take a very close look on this the next times maybe using a mirror rather than a cam and see how it looks in a less thrilling situation and compare to Justin again. Good advice. :+1:

The F barre is unforgiving while fingerstyle indeed. Some days it works up to 100 %, sometimes not that much. I have some small country fingerpicking etudes (4 bar pieces) where it is involved, also in some more tricky fingerings. This is an excellent workout on the F as well.

I couldn’t agree more with anything! My finger anatomy makes it hard as well, as the joint between first and second finger segment is lying on 3rd string, so I really need to squeez to get in ringing clear. :sweat_smile:

Thanks again, JK! A lot to take closer looks on again and I will definetely come back to it every now and then. For now, I need a little break and tackle the next bit. :smiley:

@Guitarman63

Thanks a lot for listening and leaving a kind comment, John. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

For sharing a video of you playing, you need to upload the footage on platforms like YouTube or filesharing platforms like google drive and past the link to the video in your post. Nothing to hard, but surely a little learning curve involved as well to get used to this kind of stuff as well. Good luck! :slight_smile:

@roger_holland

Rogier, you know I only want to get out the best of you. :smiley: No pressure, just fun. :blush:

So sorry for you… :disappointed_relieved: Hope you will feel better soon and be back at 100 % guitar capability soon! Keep my fingers crossed and all the best for you. :four_leaf_clover:

But glad to hear you’re back on track again and revisiting some older works. Comparison of old and new will be revealing in a positive way, I bet. :smiley:

3 Likes

Of course and I growth under healthy pressure :sunglasses: more more please :smile:,

I still have to physically recover from falling while transferring from chair to stair lift, but I’m almost there and this morning for the first time after a long time I did fifteen minutes… is there any body out there… none wasting tears because things are already going quite well ,but thanks :blush:
Now we must play :roll_eyes::face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile:
Greetings

3 Likes

Hey Lisa, I’m a little late, I just heard your “Greensleeves” for the second time, nicely played! A lot has already been said, so I won’t repeat that all. What stands out to me, is that apart from the few things, that will soon get better with ongoing practice for sure, your playing is very sensitive and gentle and hits the mood of this song perfectly! I recently started to practice Greensleeves, it’s not easy, a lot to learn and skills to develop! But it’s worth the invested time. Unfortunately I get disturbed know… wanted to write a little more…sorry! To be short: well done, thumbs up!!

1 Like