Lisa's first AVOYPs - June 2023 (Anchorage, Good Riddance, WYWH)

Hi folks,

the day finally arrived: My first AVOYPs are there. :cold_face: :hot_face: :woozy_face: <<< My feelings currently (and while filming and watching afterwards).

Yesterday, I finally kicked myself from procrastinating this any further, because neither the RLS nor the overal nervousness about this would go away, if I wait any longer. So after a long, busy and awkwardly hot (30 Ā°C) day I sat down and recorded myself. First of all, Iā€™m sorry for the sound quality. Donā€™t have any other recording equipment than my cell phone, so the tone is a bit dull and voice often to low. Listening with headphones might help a little, though.

Except for Good Riddance (2nd Take), all were more or less shot in one take. More or less means, I was so nervous I messed it up after few seconds, threw this part away and restarted and then pushed through for the whole take. Coming to gear: youā€™ll see my 20 year old Cort - the guitar that really started my journey. For Wish you were here I took up my 12-string Martin, man I love that one for her sound - my phone does not do her well. :slightly_frowning_face:

I got even more nervous when it was about to sit down and listen/watch myself. So I got a cool glass of white wine and while writing now, I consider to have one small drink before filming as well. :rofl: I was a little surprised it was not as bad as expected and after a few mins it started feeling less awkward for the listening part. Watching will remain a little weird, until I find away to control my facial expression while playing. :woozy_face: :rofl:

So, enough said. Here they come:

Anchorage - Michelle Shocked

Edit: As I just received a copyright strike from YouTube thanks to Michelle Shocked herself, I deleted the link here and will do so with the vid on YouTube. Obviously, she doesnā€™t want her music to be heard anymore. Therefore, I will not upload it anywhere else as I respect her decision. ( :roll_eyes:)

Havenā€™t touched it for a while, but somehow I felt like doing this one.

Good Riddance (Time of your Life) - Green Day

Certainly not the best version I could give, but considering my nervousness, Iā€™m ok with it.

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd

Most of the time I play it on the Cort as well (my ā€œeverydayā€ guitar), but it just deserves these 12 strings! :smiley:

Thanks to all who made it till hear without bleeding ears, hopefully! :wink: Iā€™ll bury myself for a while now and have a Pizza or something to please myself a little after stepping out of comfort zone! :rofl:

Have yourself a fabulous day! :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

42 Likes

Wow Lisa, you are a talented player with a lovely voice. I love all 3 of these.

1 Like

I agree with Serhat. So well played and sung. No bleeding ears - on the contrary. A special thank you for ā€œAnchorageā€. It has been a long time since I heard this song, and your version is beautiful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fantastic Lisa, youā€™re a great player already.

We always tend to undervalue our own skillsā€¦ and I suspected that might have been the case reading your intro post & learning log where you called yourself an ā€œok-ishā€ campfire player and ā€œcrappyā€ fingerstyle. No way, that was great! You clearly did a lot of playing when younger, and have been doing a lot of practice since starting again!

Youā€™ve got a lovely singing voice as well. Good on you for getting past the nerves and uploading the videos.

2 Likes

Wow Lisa!
You have nothing to be nervous about. All 3 og them sounded awsome!
I liked the good riddance best, but that is just my tasteā€¦ all of them sounded amazing to me.
Youre voice is also great.
Think you are way to hard on yourself, you could easily perform this to anyone on a stage.
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more :grin:

1 Like

Lisa wow what a debut, you made Good Riddance picking look so easy, and as a matter of fact I know very well it is NOT! :grinning: To play without looking at your strumming hand while picking has really impressed me, awesome!

And that 12 string for WYWH - love it! :heart_eyes: a few more recordings and I hope to see you as a performer during Community OM! Well done.

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: someone cutting onions in here or where do all these happy tears come from?

@elevatortrim

Serhat, thank you so much for your kind words! Glad you like it. :smiley:

@JokuMuu

Nicole, Tausend Dank! Thanks for your kind and encouraging words. Anchorage is a lovely and rarely heard tune, unfortunately. It deserves some more attention. Glad you liked my version of it. :smiley:

@jkahn

JK, thank you so much! I appreciate your kindness and well chosen words of support. You are right, like many others, I tend to be too critical and harsh on my own skills. But thatā€™s maybe also a thing that grows while we progress on our journey. Recording regularly will definitely help on that, so youā€™re right again: It was good getting past my nerves. :smiley:

@tRONd

Trond, thank you very much for your kind words! Glad you liked Good Riddance best, I love that tune! Butā€¦ performing on stage? Meā€¦ :cold_face: :woozy_face: A few years ago my foolish younger me would have said, well letā€™s go and do that! Nowadays I feel stage fright kicking in so hard, I wanna hide under a cover. But thatā€™s nothing a beer couldnā€™t fix. :rofl:

@adi_mrok

Thank you so much, Adrian! For Good Riddance picking looking easy - well it didnā€™t feel so, but glad it seemed so. :smiley: Because youā€™re right: It isnā€™t and spent a lot of practice time especially on this part.
For community OMs I think I need to get some better equipment in place, though. Until then, I will keep on practicing and recording every now and then. Also with the 12-string! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much to all of you again! Iā€™m overwhelmed by so much positivity and support. Feeling gratefull and blessed to be part of such a great, heart-warming community! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pray: :orange_heart:

4 Likes

Three super performances Lisa. Terrific debut. I look forward to more from you in the future.

1 Like

Hahahaha!!!
Seriously Lisa! You have nothing to fear, could hang out all day listening to you play and singā€¦ with a couple of beers :grin:
But i do understand that Ā«stageĀ» fright of yoursā€¦ but put that aside! :grin:

1 Like

Very enjoyable Lisa, and very well done. :clap:
To be honest, I wasnā€™t expecting that level of playing, from reading previous posts.
Then again, we often do that to ourselves.
Now youā€™ve been ā€˜exposedā€™ as a good player :crazy_face::+1:

I enjoyed WYWH especially so, as its a personal favourite, plus its a deceptively difficult song to play well, but you nailed it with that beautiful 12 string.
Looking forward to some more now.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Goodness me, posted a few hours ago and already I feel late to the party.

I can only echo all that others have already said. Lisa.

Bravo and congrats on pushing through all the nervous anxiety to record and share. The first time is the hardest.

With or without beer, wine , or whiskey you can take confidence and own the comments shared as sincerely appreciative.

Look forward to more from you.

1 Like

@sairfingers

Thanks a lot, Gordon! Glad you enjoyed it and probably some more will be coming their way next weeks. :slight_smile:

@tRONd

Thanks again, Trond! I will try to get over it, but thatā€™s easier said than done. :smile:

@sclay

Shane, thank you so much! Appreciate your kind words and Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the listen. :slight_smile: Iā€™m flattered you liked my version of WYWH keeping in mind itā€™s one of your favourites. Feeling a little proud now. :smiley:
This kind of ā€˜exposureā€™ is one I can deal with. :crazy_face: But surely, expectations for upcoming stuff keeps rising now, so I should better get back et practicing now. :rofl:

@DavidP

David, thanks so much! This party is ongoing, no need to feel being late - people may join whenever they want to and stay as long as they want to. :joy:
Youā€™re right with everthing you say: The first time of overcoming this kind of fear was the toughest and it will become easier with every further step now. :slight_smile:

I really do appreciate every comment, every like, all the feedback, given here or elsewhere. Iā€™ll let it sink in and comfort me when feeling down and use it to grow some confidence. I am indeed very grateful for this and it canā€™t be said too often: this community is just awesome! :clap: :orange_heart:

Now Iā€™m better off practicing again to not disappoint for the next round of AVOYP. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No bleeding ears here. WOW what a debut performance, you play really well and have a great voice to. Look forward to more.

1 Like

Absolutely fabulous Lisa. I especially loved Anchorage as it is a song I love and also play. I definitely donā€™t play it or sing it as well as you do! Superb job!!!

1 Like

Hi Lisa,

You sounded amazing on all of the songs. Bravo!!! I play that Green Day song a lot too as my go to song. Itā€™s a lot of fun and a crowd pleaser. Your version sounds am. Thanks for sharing the videos. Youā€™re very talented!

1 Like

@skinnyt

Thanks a lot, Trevor! Glad you liked it and your ears survived without any harm. :rofl:

@Eddie_09

Thank you so much, Eddie. Anchorage is truely a lovely tune! I would be curious to hear your version of it, Iā€™m pretty sure it will be great as well and one of its own - this is the lovely thing about music! We can find beauty in all of it. :slight_smile:

@SDKissFan

Jeff, thank you so much, appreciate you kind words! :slight_smile: You happen to have an AVOYP of you performing Good Riddance? Would be nice to check out as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes I think I did it in January this year? I did a soft acoustic version with no pick. Itā€™s posted here.

1 Like

Great, Iā€™ll check it out! Thanks Jeff. :slight_smile:

It is one of my most popular you tube videos on my channel. I canā€™t remember if I label it ā€œGood Riddance ā€œ or ā€œTime of your lifeā€ lol. Thanks for the interest :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello Lisa, this is absolutely brilliant :+1::clap::star_struck:. Congratulations, these are three fantastic performances. You play wonderfully and I love your voice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.
In your profile, you wrote that you wanted to become a singer-songwriter when you started your guitar journey. Why not pursue this dream now :smiley:?

2 Likes