Lisa's first AVOYPs - June 2023 (Anchorage, Good Riddance, WYWH)

Lisa, an awesome performance on all 3 songs. You really have been holding out on us and undervaluing your talent. The playing and singing was really great. The 12 string did add to the authentic sound of WYWH. Makes me wish I owned one.

1 Like

Pretty damn good to me, all three of them!
Very nicely played and sung on all of them and wow does that Martin 12 string sound good! A very appropriate choice for that song, well done on all accounts, more please :pray:

1 Like

:smiley: NicoleKKB

Aaaw, thank you so much, Nicole! Iā€™m flattered and overwhelmed by your kind words. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::orange_heart:

Not sure if you noticed, (/irony on) but it may shines through that I sometimes underestimate my skill and overthink a little (/irony off). :rofl: To be honest, I guess it is anxiety, the fear of the unknown or even worse, fear to fail. But actually, by receiving so much positivity here, itā€™s diminishing and I start feeling more confident on all these things again. Becoming an adult was quite a killer for my light-heartedness and creativity. :woozy_face: But as mentioned, with the support here, it seems to be on its way of coming back. :smiley:

Thanks for this excellent question, it made me re-think a little more. :slight_smile:

@SteveL_G99

Thank you so much, Steve. I appreciate you kind words. I really didnā€™t want to hold out set false expectations. I really thought this was true and was surprised myself. :smiley:
To have a 12 string was an almost life-long desire, itā€™s never too late to get one. :slight_smile:

@DarrellW

Darrell, my heartfelt thanks to you! Glad you enjoyed the listen. Yeah, this Martin is a treasure - love on first sight/listen for me. :smiley:

Thanks to all of you great folks out there - you made this sunday a very happy and special one for me! :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Wow what a stunning debut post !

Didnā€™t know Anchorage but was very impressed with your ability to play fingerstyle and sing at the same time. Something I still canā€™t do so huge kudos to you on that one. And the vox were wonderful, plus some fast changes going on there. Well done.

Loved Good Riddance. Again super vocals, solid strumming keeping that arm going, subtle sus chords and nicely picked melody. Nailed it.

WYWH on the 12 string ? Great choice, sounded so so good. Absolutely no nits from me, very well executed, vocals really shined through. Love playing this but still yet to sing it as well.

Three really cracking recordings. Top job !!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

What a great debut, nothing to add to what everyone else said, loved listening to these tracks this morning. Bravo

1 Like

Hey Lisa! That was superb! As I read your introduction a few weeks ago, I assumed that we soon will get some awesome AVoYPs from you and I couldnā€™t believe all your understatement in the posts Iā€™ve read so far. And tada :partying_face:! Here she comes with three wonderfully played songs. Not to to talk about the voice you are blessed with!
It can be seen, that your playgrade already was way above what you call ā€œok-ish campfire levelā€ before you restarted with JG. You must have put in lots of hours before. A good basis to build up additional skills and refine things to get to high level performances. I really enjoyed all of your three songs and there is no reason to be shy or unsure about yourself. Be proud of yourself!! Ich wƤrā€™ echt froh, wenn ich irgenwann mal so spielen und singen kƶnnte, wie du jetzt! Looking already forward to hearing more from you!

1 Like

Hi Lisa,
I took in ā€œWish you were hereā€ as I know it. Very nice rendition. Your timing was good, chords sounded good to my ears and your vox was a great accompaniment too.

Keep up the good work and share more often!
LB

1 Like

Hi Lisa,
Itā€™s great that you responded to our request for an AVOYP :wink: (which you were already planning to do, of course) and didnā€™t succumb to the statements that we had high expectations because of your writing.
This is you first (and then also 3??? :smile:) avoyp and then it is customary that everyone is extra sweet, even more than usual, but I will not participate in that since you are absolutely no longer a beginner ā€¦ I see you more ā€¦much moreā€¦as someone who can already perform in a pub /market square ā€¦even outside the open mics, your voice is very very pleasant and your guitar playing very very well ā€¦

You have not lived up to expectationsā€¦ you have gone way over itā€¦

:sunglasses: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouquet: :man_bowing: :man_bowing: :man_bowing: ā€¦ BIS BIS BIS

Greetingsā€¦

3 Likes

Hey girl :sunglasses:ā€¦is there anything more to add to the words of praise by our Community mates?! Your recordings are all just awesome :heart_eyes: wow wow wow!!! . So glad you broke the ice :cold_face: and now Iā€™m sure you feel better :sweat_smile:! Love your delicate touch on those strings and your voice is really beautiful!

1 Like

Congratulations Lisa, those were all very convincing performances. Itā€™s perfectly normal to be shy and self-critical, we all are/were, but you canā€™t hide the fact that youā€™re a competent player with a pleasant singing voice.

Donā€™t worry about the recording equipment (yet). You just proved that you donā€™t need state-of-the-art gear to be a great artist. That 12-string Martin really did justice to AWYWH.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, Toby! I appreciate it a lot and Iā€™m glad you liked all three. :slight_smile:

Regarding singing while playing fingerstyle, itā€™s somehow funny as for Anchorage the picking pattern comes up naturally and fits nicely. For other tunes or when trying to apply any other pattern, either singing or picking fall apart. Maybe itā€™s because I played that song approx. 1 million times. :rofl:

@philsmith

Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and leaving some kind words of encouragement, Phil! :slight_smile:

@Helen0609

Andrea, vielen lieben Dank! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kindness. :slight_smile: For the ā€œunderstatementā€-part I must admit I really felt like this is true and somehow I proved me wrong. :rofl: When I was a teen I spent every spare minute with my guitar and it indeed is a solid ground to build on. I just somehow expected to have ā€œlostā€ more in the time between.
Iā€™m sure, when you keep up and stick to it, you will also be able to sing and play like that!!

@LBro

LB, thanks a lot for checking out ā€œWYWHā€ and your kind and supportive feedback! Appreciate it a lot! :slight_smile: Some more to come in the furture - promised!

@roger_holland

Rogier, thank you so much! How could I ever decline a request coming from you? Never! :wink: Not at all after your kind words of encouragement. So yes, I feel you were extra sweet like all the others. :slight_smile:
The pub or market square need to wait a little more, shyness canā€™t be overcome in two days time. But someday, Iā€™ll do this! Would be lovely to have some folks from here around and we just hand over to each other, so all have their time to shine and lots of fun all together. :smiley:

@SILVIA

Grazie mille, Silvia! Thanks a lot for your kind words! Yeah, indeed I feel kind of relieved I finally opened up. The first step is always hardest. But it was worth it, this community is so rewarding and heartwarmingly kind, Iā€™m feeling blessed. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Jeff

Thanks a lot, Jeff! Your kind words and encouragement are highly appreciated! :slight_smile: Nice to be called ā€œgreat artistā€, I will let that sink and hope, to convince myself thatā€™s true. It will take time, but I try - promised! :smiley:

@all

Thank you all so much for your kindness and supportive, encouraging feedback. It really moves me deep down inside and Iā€™m so grateful that you all took your time listening and sending so much positive energy. Iā€™m flattered, overwhelmed and canā€™t even express how this all feels and what it does. I will cherish all this kindness, hope to give it back someday and finally (hopefully) stop undervaluing myself! I will forever be thankful for every single word in here! :heart:

5 Likes

Hi Lisa. Went back and had another listen through all 3. sounds amazing today as well.

Your green day song is still my favourite.
You smashed that out of the ball park. Sounds really smashing the way you play it. And amazing with your voice mixed in.

I have had a few attempts on this my self, but i find it impossible to sing, something with the Ā«pitchĀ» in that song that just makes me cough :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But again. Take my hat off, really impressive.

2 Likes

Maybe it hasnā€™t to be the market place for a first try? Another approach could be to got to a park or other space outside, which isnā€™t as crowded as a market place. Sit down and play, Iā€™m sure, it doesnā€™t take long and you are surrounded by a bunch of people :wink:

1 Like

I agree. Maybe try it some sunny day @Lisa_S . You have so much talent :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@tRONd

Hi Trond! Thanks a lot for taking your time revisiting this post! Iā€™m glad you still like it. :grin:

Have you tried Good Riddance with a Capo? Maybe this helps against the ā€œpitch-coughā€. :sweat_smile: Know this myself, I have it with ā€œHouse of the rising sunā€. :rofl:

Whenever you find a way to ā€œfixā€ this, I would love to hear your version of it. It would suit you well, at least in my imagintion. :rofl:

@Helen0609 @JokuMuu

Andrea, Nicole: You both are just awesome, thanks again! :slight_smile: Maybe I could go for this approach, but unfortunately I donā€™t have such a lovely scenery as the baltic sea around (thinking of on of Nicoleā€™s posts). :thinking: Probably the nearby park would serve me well, too. :smiley:

1 Like

I have tried to capo this one from just about 12th fret and all the way up :rofl::rofl::rofl: but no. There is something about this song that makes it very difficult. Theres loads of others as well that i just cant sing. Guess its just how it is. Some songs are not ment to be :grin:

1 Like

Wow Lisa, tremendous debut. Youā€™re WYWH on the Martin just blew. me away. Thanks! :ok_hand:

1 Like

@MadModMcd

Thanks a lot, Ian! Glad you liked my version of WYWH. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, Lisa!! Wow!!! Iā€™m trying to play catch up on the recent posts and so glad I caught this one of yours! Amazingly gorgeous playing and singing, blew me away, so impressed! :clap: :star_struck:
I donā€™t believe I had heard Anchorage before, so as far as I am concerned, you own that song in my eyes! Really loved it! :heart_eyes:
All were fabulous and Iā€™m excited to see what you bring next!! :smiley: :+1:
(plus, Iā€™m with Trond, I could sit quietly sipping a couple of beers and listen to you perform all day! :beers: :beer: :sunglasses: :guitar: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

They were amazing performances Lisa, bravo!! Watching yourself back will always feel a little weird, I doubt that ever goes away.

Really looking forward to your next posts, and the Cort sounds beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like