LizW - March 2022 - Otis Redding, Ed Sheeran, Foo Fighters

That’s sounding good! It does look like quite a stretch. I ran into trouble trying, and not getting to the end, of learning Blackbird in part because of the way some of the chords call for big finger stretches. Your post made me curious about finger stretching so I searched for that on the site and sure enough Justin has some finger stretching exercises. I’ve recently added palm muting to my practicing but now I think I’ll add finger stretching and take another run at Blackbird.

Thank you for sharing your progress so far and good luck to you!

1 Like

Ooh I’ll look for those finger stretching exercises too :+1:t2:

Ooh, thanks for that. I didn’t realise that was something to be aiming for. The introductory video was more about it just being comfortable. Will try and think about where my thumb is now :+1:t2:. Do you know why it’s best in that position?

This has a number of benefits such as:

• getting your index finger out of the way of the thumb

• making your fingers more perpendicular to the strings so that your picking motion becomes more vertical (no scraping sounds along winds of the string)

• enables you to play some more complicated percussive and picking/strumming techniques

I found it awkward at first but I was able to play a lot faster and cleaner as soon as I made the switch. Give it a shot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was brilliant Liz and I’m really looking forward to the complete song. His best album and one of his best tracks, in my opinion.

I know what you mean about the left hand ache. I’m working on a Snow Patrol song and boy, it hurts. :smiley:

Thread hijack

@adi_mrok Thanks for that picture Adi, I’ll be making sure my hand looks as handsome :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you,that’s really helpful :smiley::+1:t2:
Only thing that would make that hand more handsome would be some very cool purple nail varnish :laughing::wink:

1 Like

That’s terrific Liz, first time I’ve heard you play. You’ve got a lovely voice, really suits the style of playing and song. I can certainly recommend the finger stretching exercises too, my left hand is aching now just thinking of that module!! :wink:

1 Like

That was tremendous, Liz, the guitar, the vocal, just fabulous. Look forward to the whole song when you get there.

Thanks, I’ve uploaded a few bits of songs now. Yes I’ve just tried the finger stretching, very useful I think, it’s in a module I hadn’t got to yet.

Thanks! Could be a few months yet ‘til I can put all the bits together :rofl:

1 Like

Wow, that’s a pretty damn good start on finger style, you’re coming on in leaps and bounds!

Aww thanks, being a piano teacher I have a lot of odd free periods during the day so can often practice a couple of hours.

2 Likes

And I guess also helps with finger control and dexterity in a general sense, not to mention music theory knowledge and a well trained ear. Lots of general assets that enable the learning of guitar.

That was excellent Liz. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very true, although my fingers aren’t used to stretching in some directions required for guitar! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Liz,
Super good start on this one, both vox and play. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the whole song once you get it down.

How is that video editing going? You could make this better by a 2-3 second fade in at the start and a 2-3 second fade out at the end… While at it you could shorten the video just a tad prior to reaching for the off button. - Just trying to offer some help on this one. Or is that, the next one? :slight_smile:

All the best and keep on rock’n,
LB

It’s only done on a phone, but yes you’re right I could chop a few seconds off. More bothered about the music though really, IT less my thing :joy:.

Wow, Liz. You are a natural. Advancing in leaps and bounds. I’ve not heard that song before. It’s very pretty and you played and sang it very well.

1 Like

@pkboo3 thanks. It was a big hit in the UK for Ed Sheeran and it’s in Justin’s acoustic songbook :slightly_smiling_face:

I recently acquired that book! Cool!

1 Like