LizW - March 2022 - Otis Redding, Ed Sheeran, Foo Fighters

Well done, Liz-
Whether pre-prepared or not that’s a really enjoyable listen. You’ve already arrived at that point where if you were at a party and performed like that, everyone would love it and be joining in.
I’m not sure what you thought was wrong with the whistling, but each to his/her own…
I too find it easier to sing than play, but you raise this to a different level.
Enjoy and share your gifts :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s just the look of the whistling that offended me, would be ok without the pictures :laughing: I hate watching myself at the best of times.

1 Like

Liz, Love your talent in all areas. So inspiring. I love your vocal inflections. Very powerful. I had figured you had performed for audiences before. Great job. Can’t wait to hear more.

1 Like

Thanks :grinning:. I realised it was important to say I’m not new to singing just guitar. Sometimes I actually find guitar easier when I’m singing as it helps me to relax and stops me thinking about it too much, if you get what I mean.

1 Like

LizW, I like your sense of humor! And you can definitely sing well. But I was also impressed by your ability to hold a somewhat, to my ear, complex strumming pattern against the rhythm of the melody. I for sure have struggled with learning to strum one rhythm while singing another. Well done!

Also, I’m thinking you’re already doing this, but just in case it’s useful, I’ve found if there’s a chord change in a song I’m struggling with I’ll practice it in a loop, just going over that one part repeatedly. It’s helped me with several songs, though as much as I’ve gone back and forth between A & G I’m still not a 100% accurate.

If the whistling isn’t working for you, I’d suggest taking up the kazoo. A kazoo always adds a little extra to a song I think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Great go of it I must say. I guess you have been around the block on the vox. Good to hear you and the emotion you showed in your singing is impressive. All the subtile voice nuances are there aplenty.

Hey, I have a song request. Not sure you can do it fingerstyle, but maybe you could collab with someone that can. The song would be Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I think you would crush it out of the park.

All the best on guitar as you have the vox well under control!

Keep rock’n,
LB

Hi! Thanks :smiley:. Yes the strumming and singing not particularly easy on this one, lots of separate strumming practice has taken place without singing. I think the reason I find the B7 hard in this is that it takes place on an up strum and I think I probably am arranging my fretting hand from the thickest string down, so the wrong order for an up if you can understand what I’m on about.

Ah yes Over the Rainbow, it’s nice but would have to be in a lower key than the original otherwise it ends up mostly around the break in my voice, not so great there :slightly_smiling_face:. I only have an iPhone to record at the moment so don’t think I could manage a collaboration yet.

Very nice Liz i loved your whistling!! Great job! Looking forward to more! :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I think I do get what you’re saying. I learned America’s “Horse With No Name” that Justin has a lesson on. That’s one with an unusual strumming pattern with chord changes on the upstream I think but, of course, there are only two, two finger chords right next to each other for that so the changes are easy.

I can totally see how trying to get to a B7 on the upstream would be hard.

You did a good job! And, of course, will only get better as you play it more.

1 Like

That was really good, well done. I haven’t tried that song for a while but would definitely agree B7 is the trickiest bit.

1 Like

Really really enjoyed that, Liz, you’ve got a nice guitar strum happening, and your vocals are amazing. I also noticed your tendency to look at your fretting hand when you’re switching chords, although I also saw you switch comfortably without looking to all chords except maybe the B7. I would encourage you to try not to look down, so frequently anyway.

1 Like

Not pained, Liz, passion. :smiley:

I really enjoyed that and the whistling I thought was mighty fine.

1 Like

Why thank you. Yes, that’s what it is, passion :+1:t2:

Hi, this is me trying the chorus for Lego House, first pattern as per book, second what I thought might be nice. Let me know what you think. This is the song I’m working on that’s way too hard for me, I’ve been on it for about a month now. Can’t get all the way through yet as my left hand aches from the constant stretch but I’ll get there one day! Eventually my hand closes up and I hit the frets :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

Beutiful guitar playing :clap::raised_hands:t2:

Thanks.

1 Like

Neat song, well done

1 Like

Nice work Liz. You’re doing great.

1 Like

She’s pushin’ boundaries
She’s stretchin’
She’s going all the way :smiley:

2 Likes

Doing great there my only suggestion is since you are just starting to get into fingerstyle to work on your thumb placement. Thumb parallel to strings as the most handsome hand of the Community in the pic below indicates :grinning: all the best and keep it up, it’s a great song!

1 Like