Long time lurker from Michigan

I’m a 50 something retiree from Michigan. I played off and on in grade and middle school. The books were as terrible as the teachers… Bought a Martin acoustic about 10 years ago and found Justin about 5 years ago. Got serious about 5 years ago and alternate between Justin, a live teacher and Mel Bay book, and simply exploring the internet. Sometimes, I like to learn and other times I just want to play and sing with the chords that I have down pat. I loved the guitarioki in the Justin app and went down that rabbit hole hard during the pandemic. I got frustrated with one of the updates and decided to detour that rabbit hole to Ultimate Guitar Tabs and have about 200 pdfs that I can play from my tablet. I like to play and ‘sing’ and use the capo to bring the song to my voice. I am not as far along with Justin’s course as you might think, but I’m almost done with my Mel Bay and will simply use Justin’s courses after that. The last couple of years I play outside the house occasionally for informal small audiences. Last summer I had a chance to play with another guitarist. We shared my tablet view and he played lead over my rhythm and singing. That was fun, I need to find more time like that…

My wife suggested that I remodel our smallish den into a music room, so all my music stuff will be in one area. Partly, it’s to contain my equipment and partly to help me get better use out of the instruments currently in various parts of the house. My two go to instruments are a Fender Strat and a Rainsong guitar. To a much lesser extent, I am getting comfortable with a keyboard, acoustic bass, ukulele, and I just recently got a travel cajon.

I am having a ton of fun with music. I want to start being active on the forums.

Cheers,

Chris

12 Likes

hey welcome Chris!

2 Likes

Hi Chris, welcome! This is without doubt the best line from your intro, great to ready your backstory though. Continue having fun and non-lurking! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you. I’ve got a Journey carbon fibre travel guitar and played the Rainsong travel guitar recently, quite enjoyed it. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Welcomd to the forum Chris

2 Likes

Welcome, DH and I retired to Michigan (he’s from Trenton) and both bought our first instruments in November last year, though he got a bass, so we won’t see him here. :upside_down_face: We just moved into our house last year and he had set up his bass in the large 4th bedroom which will be our den, and I was set up in our bedroom. Finally, we figured, why not put all our stuff in the small bedroom I had designated for my sewing room because I barely sew at all anymore, and now guitar practice is going to take up all my free time anyway, :sweat_smile: So now it’s the official music room. We certainly don’t have all the stuff you have though!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Chris.

2 Likes

Chris, welcome to the community forum.

2 Likes

Hi Chris and welcome!

My husband and I recently converted one of our rooms to a music room and we love it. Playing with other musicians is always fun too. Enjoy your guitar journey!

2 Likes

Hey… just joined the community. First post I see is a Michigander! I too am retired and live in southern west side of Michigan. I was just listing to the lesion a bout “jamming” with other guitar players and Justin Community… now here I am.
I’ve been trying to use my “spare” time to learn more. I’m basically self taught. Started when I was 16, now at 70 thought I would be like Clapton or Hendrix… but I don’t think that will happen. I’m living in between Kalamazoo, Holland and Benton Harbor. I’m always up for a jam.

Rocky

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Chris!!!
Hope you have a great time, keep on playing!
Rene

2 Likes

Hello Chris and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Pretty cool to have your own music room. Have fun doing that. Maybe share some pictures of it?

2 Likes

Hello Chris,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome Chris, sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge to share :+1:
Cool own music room great project.
A

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Chris

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Chris

2 Likes

Welcome Chris and Rocky (@RockyConrad) and greetings from Australia. Nice to have you both here with us.
I’m loving my music too and it’s amazing what you can achieve here.

2 Likes

Hello Chris, welcome to the community. I hope you enjoy your time here.

2 Likes

Welcome Chris and Rocky from another retired Michigander! I’m in the southeast part of the state.

Tom

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies everyone. I am enjoying the forums. Kudos to the group - not all forums run this well…

Kind Regards,

Chris

1 Like