Mac's learning log

I wish I had your discipline to be able to record so much of what you practice each day. It will pay dividends in the future because on the days when it’s not going so well, you’ll be able to look back and realise how even your future bad days become better than your early good days.
I compare this to my yoga practice where I wish I had a series of photos from my first classes to be able to contrast where I am now, 5 years later, because there’s definitely days when I lose sight of the progress because of an off day.

Keep up the great work :blush:

3 Likes

I agree… I’m lacking this discipline as well. My LL has many updates but they are more or less just saying “well, that’s what it looks like now”.

Did any of you @MacOneill and @mattswain ever go back to reading earlier LL entries? I never did so far… the little successes I remember and the things that didn’t go well, I don’t even really want to be reminded of :slightly_smiling_face:

Not so far. My LL doesn’t really have much detail in it. I completed grade 1 but since then I’ve spent a lot of time learning a handful of songs so it would be quite repetitive reading. I suppose I should have recorded more detail of my progress and what the struggles have been. Mine mostly lists the songs I’m learning and a few words on progress. I don’t write in my LL often enough either with little updates

@JokuMuu @mattswain
I know i have a bad memory so i took the habit of writing everything down

yeah sometimes
Looking back , i know that i started training on wonderfull tonight around the 20 january till 16 february ( took me a month Oo )
and shaolin master took me 8 days to gold it
I started module 6 16 days ago , i thought i was longer than that

the more details i write , the more i can follow my progress

1 Like

Wow. Strangely, I never go back… For it’s the process of writing down my thoughts that makes the LL so useful.

And… I will always remember the most fundamental aspect. I started writing my LL by setting the rule never to touch any guitar when I’m stressed. Now I’m sitting and work an can’t wait to play, because I know playing will relieve the stress, funny how things change… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

if you follow that rule you’ll almost never play :rofl:

4 Likes

… and how true that turned out to be last autumn and December. I had had so much stress at work and I stuck to my rule. Don’t play when stressed. So I did not play at all… it’s much, much better now that I noticed playing guitar actually helps when I’m frustrated or stressed from work :sun_behind_small_cloud:

5 Likes

I keep a more general journal that I write my thoughts in at the end of each day - that is one that I’ll never look back at. The purpose is purely to get things out of my head and maybe also write down things that I’m grateful for because it’s easy to fall for the narrative that the whole world is bad that seems to be popular online!

With regards to stress, I suppose there’s a greater chance that I might miss a session but only because it sometimes puts me in a mood where I don’t really want to do anything. I know that anything that takes my focus (playing guitar or practicing yoga typically) is what I need to get me out of that stressed state. Maybe the first song or two will be messy but it steadily improves

2 Likes

Day 46 :
Trained on changing chords between C G D Em ( 26 in 45 secs )
Trained on strumming and changing chords on Nobody to blame with the pattern down down up down down up at 70 bpm ( practice for forcing changing chords )
Practiced strumming on Horse with no name
Played heart of gold by Neil Young
Played what’s up ( strum beat 1 )
Played edge of seventeen ( strum beat 1 )
Played wish you were here ( strum beat 1 )

Played on Yousician for 32 minutes
Played Lost on you by LP ( practice to strum on the C chord ) twice
Played on Dream on by Aerosmith ( practice to strum on the C chord ) 4 times
Started learning Misirlou ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppamhWm9BFM )

2 Likes

Day 47 :
Trained on changing chords between C G D Em ( 25 in 45 secs )
Trained on strumming and changing chords on Nobody to blame with the pattern down down up down down up at 70 bpm and then at full speed ( practice for forcing changing chords )
Played heart of gold by Neil Young
Played what’s up ( strum beat 1 )
Played wish you were here ( strum beat 1 )

Played on Yousician for 17 minutes
Played Lost on you by LP ( practice to strum on the C chord ) twice
Practiced Misirlou part 1, reduced the tempo to 70% than increased it to 80% and then to 90%

2 Likes

Hi Deborah, looking through your learning log, i am impressed with the amount of detail. You are more dedicated writing in your learning log than I am. It is good that you spend a lot of time in practice playing songs. That is the best way to improve as a guitarist and the most fun.

thanks a lot

true but i ll stop practicing on songs with G chord
I took an appointment with a guitar teacher to help me correct what im doing wrong since my fingers are not in a correct position
I’ll work mostly a yousician this week then …
I feel stuck

My answer to this (and maybe it’s just what works for me) has been to find songs that I really want to play that have the difficult chords and transitions in. I do spend a little time trying the transitions in isolation but mostly play the songs.
These songs are my reason for persevering with the difficult things, the payoff is huge when you can play one of your favourite songs and worth all of the doubts and frustration.

1 Like

its not that i can t play G , its my fingers taking a bad form
in the old videos of Justin guitar , he explained to avoid playing in this form and correct it
If i keep on playing in this form my body will memorize it
I see the teacher on 4th march its not a long wait

untill then i’ll work on C chord songs and strumming and i ll use yousician
Im stuck on power chords , this stuff is hell

3 Likes

Day 48 :

Trained on changing chords for 5 minutes
Trained on strumming and changing chords on Nobody to blame with the pattern down down up down down up at full speed ( practice for forcing changing chords )

Played on Yousician for 28 minutes
Played Dream on by Aerosmith ( practice to strum on the C chord ) twice
Played Misirlou part 1 , gold it !
Started training on Lean on me ( basic melody ) ( practice for picking )

2 Likes

It is also a good idea to look at Justin’s new G chord video again in the new course Grade 1 Module 6:

G chord hacks - playing the G chord with 2 fingers

Justin explains that playing with just 2 fingers is sometimes preferable and gives this form of the G chord in the summary of basic open chords in Module 7. So if you find the 3 finger version of the G chord too difficult now, you can try the 2 finger version or form of the G chord with songs until you master the 3 finger G.

1 Like

been there done that , doesn t change anything !
its still the same ring finger on the same string doing the same bending …

and its not difficult to do … its just not the right form

My apologies. I assumed you were using the classic course because of the classic course video. Good luck with correcting your form.

ah i see
I tried every videos that might help me , the new , then the old " classic " course " , and tried to see how others were holding their guitar neck on the net
but i was still having a bad form … ending in a bending finger
Justin says to correct that bad form , but he doesn t say how to correct it :confused:

There is one other G chord video in Grade 2 Module 10:

This is the 2 finger chord played with the ring finger and the pinkie. That is actually the form I use when I am switching between C and G. Justin uses this a lot also in his song lessons. It might not help you, since you might have the same problem with your pinkie, but it is worth trying.

1 Like