Madman’s New Diary Chapter Six - New Normandie Noodle in Bm

@skinnyt Trevor thanks for the listen.

@ChasetheDream Robert assuming you are not doing anything stupid I reckon you’ll be ok. Just ease yourself back in. What I did not mention is that the family visit allowed ne to catch up on some work that’s been on hold, due to wife’s health and aging dog. So there was a bit of a blitz on some heavy work involving chainsaws, machetes, loppers, shovels and many wheel barrow trips. All resulting in a couple of days of sticky tendons and trigger fingers. So to some degree self induce. Just enjoy the cruise and chill out ! :sunglasses:

@stitch Thank regards the phrasing that was the catalyst. I’m finding I can eventual let some thing ring out while my mind guides me where to next. Taken a while to get there and not rush in to fill the void !

@DavidP all good on the hand front now but the stretches will stay in the routine. The main issue now is tractor butt :rofl: And yes a nice BT often provides inspiration but in this case it proved to be the other way around.

@Socio Cheers James glad you liked it.

@sairfingers Thank you Gordon. I just think it takes time to resist that urge to not stop hear and there. I think some of that has to do with the more you play these impros and learn licks and phrases, the more you recognize the notes you can hold and where they fit. Its like Rick has said in the past, impro is not making it up, its taking what you already know and linking it together. And you are doing that yourself these days for sure.

@Aaronwith2dots Aaron thank you and yes I know exactly what you mean. The plan was to be slow and deliberate and fit things in the right place. Got away with a couple of stumbles but your statement captures what I set out to achieve. :+1:

I’ll take that any day of the week Mari, glad you enjoyed it. There could be some @Digger72 influence there somewhere. :wink:

@adi_mrok I fool to deceive as there was only one bend at the end but a little slight of hand here and there maybe. Appreciate the comments.

@Richard_close2u I’ll come back to you later once your SC is stable. You’ll have to blame the Belgian and French brewers for this one, as its been a steady diet of Grimbergen Blonde and Pelforth Brun. If I hit the Bordeaux who knows what will follow ? :wine_glass: :cheese: :guitar:

2 Likes

Hey Toby! Nice lead work and production all around! I enjoyed it thanks man! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course by bend I meant vibrato, definitely a late night answer twisted my tongue around! :smiley:

2 Likes

@jkahn Cheers JK glad you got the vibe bang on. That ending was a bit of a sod, as the BT doesn’t really resolve, unusual for Elevated, it kinda just cuts off. So the bend is after the track finishes. I’m surprised David didn’t cop me looking at Reaper to see where I was. The first 2 take ended badly as I missed my cue, so glad to hit this one.
As per song writing, done a couple. A covid 12BB but another about 6 years back called The Reaper which featured some licks I’d made up to pad things out but very basic back then and I keep meaning to revisit.
I like the pub analogy, by comparison I saw it more like a village and now we’re in the big city. Given up on keeping up and like you focus on Latest and a few Cats I’ve marked to follow. But a few weeks away and it bang ! so many entries but hey its been a busy summer.
And the mojo good right now. New plan of a attack in sensible chunks. All is good. :sunglasses:

@Helen0609 Andrea thanks for the kind words. No real dark thoughts here, more a case of where do I start (again) and the family time is always worth it and never to be sacrificed. I am glad you liked “the melancholy” I enjoy noodling over tracks like that. They can bring out more emotion sometimes, opposed to the happy slappy upbeat tracks. And for I will keep playing and sharing. As to the long long road ? I don’t think anyone at anytime has got to the end yet, it just keeps on rolling ! :sunglasses:

@crocodile1 Hey Leo I don’t think anything I’ve done has been considered “chic” ! I’ll have to change my game plan :wink: It was a lovely track play over and could happily recorded over the full 10 minute version. And “bluesing” man I love that. I’ll keep bluesing if the Croc keeps rockin !

@MiJoy Hi Mike I like your connection, hadn’t thought of it that way but now you mention it ! I like the captivation tag as well, it kind of felt that way playing it, especially over the long version and you feel like letting it loop continuously and just keep on going !!

@LBro Mellow and relaxing works for me Bro ! The tone on the POD was actually some Strat presets I acquired but sounded real good on the SG. Minimalist production again this time. BT dropped into Reaper twiddle some starter levels. Recorded in Reaper and OBS at the same time. Dropped the OBS video back into Reaper. Synced the GTR audio tracks to the video and adjusted the audio tracks using a Loudness Meter. No fx anywhere, just panned the 2 GTR tracks 3 degrees L n R to fatten a little. Verdict accepted your honour !

@RodC Thanks for the listen and comments Rod. Glad you liked it.

OK more grass to cut. Back later !
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Toby, I thought that was good, way above my pay grade to offer any insights. You continue to provide inspiration to us newbies (well certainly me), with the recognition and demonstration of the effort and dedication, and continued learning needed to get there. Thank you.

2 Likes

Nicely played! Every time I hear something so laid back yet with such deep tone, I want to pick up the electric again. Staying with nylon and steel for now, but you make it enticing! Thanks!

2 Likes

Just the ticket, cheers Toby :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Follow on from above …

For the six demonstration audio tracks I use the 8 bar intro then use the call & response lick played twice.

Here is the intro and your first lick with its response. You start the lick on the first beat, the count of 1.

Toby Licks The One

What would it sound like if you delayed that first note (with all subsequent notes being displaced equally in time)?

Here is the same thing but this time starting on the fourth beat, the count of 4. The 1 and the 4 are strong in 6/8 music so this is a logical first step to try.

Toby Licks The Four

How does that land in your ears?

What about other options?

Starting on the second beat, the count of 2.

Toby Licks The Two

Starting on the third beat, the count of 3.

Toby Licks The Three

Starting on the fifth beat, the count of 5.

Toby Licks The Five

Keeping everyone in suspense … Starting on the sixth beat, the count of 6.

Toby Licks The Six

Something to play around with perhaps?

A mojo finder?
:slight_smile:

For a reference, here are all six placed one after another with a 6/8 drum backing track. Note that each call & response lick now only has one run through, there are no repeats as above. This is just to keep the track a little shorter in duration. There is one bar of silence between each iteration. All are still identical but given that they start on different beats your ears should hear them somehow differently .

Toby Licks Them All (With A Beat)

Have fun with this.
Try it with other licks.
Displace them.
Start them somewhere not the count of 1.
Explore.

3 Likes

Tres bien, Tobias! :smiley:
That’s the tastiest twanging I’ve heard from your padded cell, since you dredged up that swamp thang! :laughing:
Double kudos for engaging good teacher @Richard_close2u to provide free pearls to all us grunters :smiley:
What did we learn today, children?
Yes, you start and finish the solo wherever you like.
(If you can play that is :rofl:)

2 Likes

I must express my disappointment @brianlarsen

No jokes about licking?

Phut.

:wink:

1 Like

Thank you Richard. You Math people sure do like your numbers and counting ! :rofl:
To be honest I was not counting but had decided listening to the BT when I would jump in.

That certainly introduces some different tension and makes me wonder where and what I would follow up with, after that initial C & A sequences. I am sure each on would lead me somewhere different. Or at least a different path to the final root.

I’d actually started off at the 7th fret playing Pattern 1 (E) B Aeolian for the call and then responding at Pattern 2 (D), then call from 2/D went back to 1/E, then shifted up a pattern in the same way. That’s when the idea for an impro kicked. However the lower pitches clashed with the BT, so I started higher. So not quite the 5 pattern link exercise it started out as !!

I will definitely follow it up, as starting on different beats is covered in one of my Truefire Blues courses and its been a bit of a challenge, So maybe with these “licks” resonating with me I’ll have better luck.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate and throwing down the gauntlet !!

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Leave that to our Sophie, she’s an exert !! :dog:

Ah you can start but I can see it developing into a KT Tunstal !!
Tangle Up In Blue.

Kind words Mr L, I’ll have to dredge the swamp and revisit what I did with that one. I know it was a great BT but can not recall a scooby about the impro. Should I be writing em down ? Nah just wing it as always. Could try Richard’s Martini lesson over that 'spose ?? That would be fun :sunglasses:

Oh Mr Coles what have you done !

This little St E has just become a teenager, seems a shame let it gather more dust.

And very nice it is too. Some things are better waiting for, they get better with age.

3 Likes

What a great photo that is Toby.
Handsome, warm, appealing and a natural elegance.
That geezer holding the glass looks pretty good too.

1 Like

That melody totally goes with a Quentin Tarantino movie deep within the plot. Awesome job Toby.

Jeff

Hey made a change from the wonderful beers and proves sometimes you just need a little patience. There’s a Chateau Neuf du Pape calling my name but the garage is full of some unctuous liquids that lay dormant waiting to be awoken.

Browsing the EJT tracks and a Dorian dalliance could be in line next. Very Pink in essence but could prove a useful, interesting vehicle for a “Not On The One” project.

St. Es are good, Es are good…
but is the geezer good? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The Geezer is cool my friend. I pay homage to the elevated son of Emllion but know not why he got the gig as a Saint. But his crew is ok in the Cru Skool of beverages. I play not tonight but dabble in these pages. Perchance Ezza will aspire in the morn ?

1 Like

Hi Toby,
Finally the time to play every day again :sunglasses:… but it’s nice that your family wants to hang out with you for 5 weeks, be proud of that.

The Bm is a great one to meander away (and sometimes a bit harder) …
I find it annoying to read that your finger joints are also starting to get older with complaints … good luck with it and keep them moving :guitar:
Greetings…

1 Like