Maggie unable to sign in today (2021211)

Good call David. A heads up will be useful if possible.

Was planning to move some posts over but in view of potential disruption, I’ll hold fire until I know what is going. Do we have a timezone for Ben ? Is he stateside and just getting started ?

Thoughts

• would a controlled bounce be better, with us logging off, if that’s possible
  • or we can stay logged on and see what happens when the rug is pulled from under our feet and add that to the UAT test data/issues.

Waiting for Ben to reply! He is in the USA at the moment.
He’s waiting for a 3rd party that handles a bunch of stuff.

Ben:

It’s a company called Oivan (formerly IWA) that does all the DevOps/SysAdmin work
there’s no way to log in because the SSO is though the dev server…
this issue is specific to the dev server and will not be a problem in production

Thank you for the update Lieven.

Thanks for the update, Lieven.

Curious about how all the content that has been created here on the dev server will be migrated to production.

I still can’t log in at work on my pc. It times out when I try.
I’m live only two blocks from where I work so I came home to
post from my tablet. I haven’t logged out just closed the browser.
Useing the shortcut that loaded on my tablet to connect to the
Community.
It’s 10:00 MST 2020 12 13

The issue is not solved yet :frowning:
Keeping my eyes open for updates

1 Like

Thank you Lieven, I’ll let folks know via the Forum PM :+1:

1 Like

Haha, DOS :joy:
Brings back hazy memories of ‘Going into the BIOS’ mwahahaha :smiling_imp::japanese_ogre::japanese_goblin::fire:
I never log out of anything :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry could not reply to Lieven’s request to check via Forum !

Hit login and got a 404 again.
Bounced the phone in case some thing was cached. Retried same error.

Hope someone is watching…

I replied to Lieven’s request on the Forum. I’m sure he’s watching here as well. In between the every day working activities.

Latest update from Lieven on the forum chain looks like the fix is in but I am still on the naughty step for too many mails !!

Anyway…

He shoots !! He scores !!

I am in all is well via the mobile/cell/portable.

BEN

Yourock

Now we need a post mortem. :sunglasses:

:joy: problem solved but as you say some feedback is in order I think, under the circumstances.

It feels like this has taken a long time to resolve. Of course I have no information, so nothing to base that on other than it has been days.

Also have no idea of the support arrangements which would also influence this. And as I said in the Forum PM, given the nature of the Community I’m not sure what is an appropriate level of transparency.

I imagine LDV will give us some feedback at some point.

Personally, I’m of the view this is still in dev mode, so alpha testing, if you will. Things are going to break and we shouldn’t rely too much on there being continuous service at this stage.

I’ve done a fair bit of alpha and beta testing for large companies in the past (I’ve still got a pair of 3D printed Sonos prototype speakers somewhere) and this sort of breakage isn’t uncommon.

Cheers,

Keith

Fair enough, Keith.

Though this was positioned as a soft-launch and is due to go live in the next week or so.

And whether or not it is dev or live, I also understand that software systems fail, it is part of life, key is how gracefully they do and the restoration process.

It is great that the login function breaking didn’t take down the whole system. As for the restoration process, as I’ve said, I’m not sure what I should be expecting in terms of restore times, comms during the outage, etc.

This is not the same situation as my Bank’s online Banking website or app being down.

What worries me more, for Justin, is the robustness of the new platform, especially when it comes to access and protracted outages (albeit not everyone in this case). I say that because “we” have already been on thin ice this year, in respect of the problems with the various BC App releases. I am not a user and never will be but given the posts that were hitting the forum, it was not a pleasant user experience and that’s putting it mild. Richard and Lieven did a fantastic job of nurturing calm, protecting the brand and pointing folks in the direction of Musopia (? wasn’t paying too much attention) and they took a load of flak. I know things have settled down and all new services have teething problems but if those app users get a repeat performance after signing up for the Community, there are going to a lot of unhappy bunnies out there. And that will not bode well for Justin’s reputation, despite all the good he does.

I know and trust that Lieven will have also this in hand and will take these matters to heart but as a privileged user here, who is in it for the long haul, I just feel I need to express my concerns over launching too quickly. There were no dates on the Newsletter, so there is no real deadline with respect to user expectations, they just know that a change will be coming.

I just urge caution but don’t know the ramifications of Ben’s impending departure or when that will be.

Just a concerned citizen is all.

2 Likes

Woke up thismorning to 28 pm on the old forum. Can’t test
the PC until I go to work. Will check in them if its fixed.
If not I’ll reply to the pm on the forum.

That is true too. I suspect that’s a bit of over-zealousness although there may be a rational plan behind it.

I’m just working on the basis that this is still running on a development server which, almost by definition, is subject to breakage, especially whilst they are fixing stuff and, perhaps, actively developing new capabilities such as the Avatar push/sync.

I would fully expect this to be migrated to a production server at some point (perhaps with a brief outage whilst the migration is done) and that platform would have much more stability and support.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

And a period of rattle testing before opening the floodgates ?

1 Like

Works on PC at work now :slightly_smiling_face:
What other devilish things should we be doing to try and break the Community. :smiling_imp:
After all we are suppose to be beta testing so these thing don’t happen when we open to the
World.

1 Like