Major Scale Improvisation

For the purpose of this exercise and many more to come I’d say no. We are trying to tune our ears to recognise the effect of certain notes over the chords, What works and what doesn’t and also why.

You could however use it in reverse if you have a tune and work out what chords you would like to play under it. A lot of songs are written that way.

1 Like

Thank you for the backing track. This is so much fun!

3 Likes

Wow
Mr Justin you really blow my mind with this, but how do we know how to play the notes?

1 Like

is there a reason why i wanna learn/play open position C scale though?? im an intermediate bass player so i know most (4 string) scales and modes except open. i dont see people soloing open C scale much but maybe theres a good reason to learn it and im just ignorant?

1 Like

There are multiple reasons to learn all scales in open position.
You will learn the names of the notes on the first 5 frets and how they relate to each other.
You will learn runs and fill in the open position to go with all the open chords.
Country and Blue grass play a lot of solos in open position.
The C major scale in open position is also a movable scale if you treat the nut as a barre it
is the C shaped Major scale any where on the neck. Think of CAGED system

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: App Request - can the Module 5 C Major Backing Track Go On The App Please?

Love it. All starting to make sense. Thanks Justin. Great lesson.

1 Like

Hello:
I followed the link to Justin’s Jam track packages, and my login here and the regular site didn’t work. Do we need to create a new account at https://justinguitarjams.com/ to buy a pack?

1 Like

Dude

Have you tried this link

I’ve tried clicking on one of the jam tracks when logged into the main site and lets me add to basket and go to payment section.

1 Like

That worked. Thanks! :sunglasses: :guitar:

1 Like

Where is the backing track for the C Major scale improvisation - I really cannot find this link!? Cheers.

1 Like

Under resources tab

2 Likes

Click “Resources” under the lesson, there will be the track for download. Ups, Socio was faster than me…

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Kevin.

While I was typing you already had the answer. Thanks @Socio and @Helen0609

Anyways, as they said, if you look at the lesson page on the website, you’ll find the backing track under Resources.

When I click the download icon on the right-hand side it opens a new tab in my browser. I can either play the backing track in the browser or down load it by clicking on the vertical three dots.

Note that I access the website using Chrome on a Windows PC. I have noticed some people using other platforms don’t see the download option.

1 Like

That’s a very good point I forgot about David. You have a very good memory. If I recall correctly the Team were looking into that issue. So if the OP is experiencing the same it would be helpful to provide details of browser they are using for the Team to look into,

Btw I managed to upload the backing track onto looper so it’s great that Justin has provided a downloadable backing track.

2 Likes

Thanks - got it. Too many hours learning guitar has fried my ‘logical brain’ haha.

2 Likes

Great stuff - thanks for clarifying & so quickly too :slight_smile: Got this link now: https://jtgt-static.b-cdn.net/system/dragonfly/production/2020/06/15/9synw4vs02_JustinGuitar_Beginner_C_Major_Jam.mp3

2 Likes

That happens to all of us from time to time :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the wonderful and fun lesson! I felt so empowered being able to improvise even just this little bit!

1 Like

I think the backing track provided under the Resources tab for this lesson is actually better for a beginner than the C major backing track on Justin’s Jam Major backing tracks album. That track is a fast tempo funk track which I find difficult to improvise over.

Is there a way to download this lesson’s backing track so it can be played with a music app like Apple Music? For me it opens as a web page, which works OK, but I’d prefer to have all my backing tracks in one place.

1 Like