Major Triad Grips Memory Exercises

Three effective exercises to get those Major grips into your memory!

View the full lesson at Major Triad Grips Memory Exercises | JustinGuitar

I really like these videos. I learn a lot. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Can you and where, find backing tracks tracks on JG? I know he mentions them alot but I canā€™t find or have missed links.

1 Like

Hello @TheeTdubs check here Official JustinGuitar Products | JustinGuitar.com

Is there a way to navigate to lesson specific backing tracks? For example ā€œmajor triad practice G C D Cā€ or whatever the case may be. Blues Em is self explanatory but a lesson specific link would be awesome for stuff like this. Iā€™d love to buy backing tracks to support the site plus Iā€™d hate to get off my [censored] tush, and grab the looper pedal. I can see it from here but Itā€™s feels sooooooooo far away! :joy:

Thanks as always guys!

1 Like

Walking on Sunshine is in Bb. Verse is I-IV-V (Bb - Eb - F). Didnā€™t work out the chorus.

1 Like

Up until now I have found this theory course lots of fun and all the concepts quite easy to understand and memorize. Then we come to a bit where you need to know the notes on the fret board and the wall Iā€™ve hit looks very very high. I just have a lot of trouble trying to memorize the fret board. Oh boy this is a challenge.

3 Likes

Hey Colin,

Dont stress too much about it mate. Justin doesnt expect you to know every note within a second straight away. Its going to take some time. I think its just something that he emphasises (importantly) to be working towards. For me, learning these triad shapes up and down the neck really accelerated that process.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Cheers Shane.
I guess it feels like a bit of a road block given up till now was quite easy to get a grip on all the theory concepts. Then the notes on the fret board rears itā€™s head and itā€™s allā€¦umā€¦hhmmā€¦ahā€¦nope!
I can see how these triad exercises will help retaining the info though.
Did you use any other technique or system to help learn the note positions? One string at a time, one fret at a time, patterns?

1 Like

Hey Colin,

Yeah mate I just followed Justins initial advice of learning the notes on the 5th and 6th strings, then after a while using octave shapes to locate notes on the other strings. Found these provided a solid starting framework. Did take a while though.
I also utilsed Justins Note Trainer app, which I found very helpful. Can do it anytime, anywhere on your phone. Great little app, with little timed tests to challenge you.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

I just started learning a bit of the fretboard last week and I found doing this really helpful :smiley:
The other thing to keep an eye out for is the knowledge you already have but donā€™t necessarily realise. For me, this included the 1st and 6th string being the same; that the 3rd and 4th string notes are exactly the same as the 5th & 6th, just two frets up. Also that the ā€˜tuningā€™ method teaches you already where equivalent notes are and you can slide that up the neck as well.
The most useful exercise I do at the moment is picking a random note and then playing all those octave notes up and down the fret, a bit like the one minute changes.

4 Likes

Octave shapes, playing scales on one string, playing same note on each string up and down - this sort of excercises will help you tremendously in memorizing the fretboard :wink: I am still an amateur in this field but I found it super helpful

3 Likes

I donā€™t think there is any quick or easy way to learn the notes. There are a lot of them arranged in space.

But there are a lot of different ways to work on it. From brute force to pattern finding. Someone here posted a good exercise video, but I canā€™t find where I saved it. Even the best exercise will require a lot of hard work. Assuming the goal is to know the note you touch instantly.

My current method is a course in sight reading. It will take a long time, but in the process I will end up learning all the notes and hopefully be able to sight read. Not the thing for ever. I am putting an emphasis on classical guitar so it is more appropriate for me.

3 Likes

Break it down to basics. There are only 12 notes to remember. Only 7 if you leave the sharps and flats out at the beginning. Using triad shapes if you learn them using the three shapes as a 1 4 5 song pattern using the root notes of each pattern to learn where they fall on the neck. Start with the most common 1 4 5 combos.
C F G, E A B, A D E. That covers all 7 notes.

2 Likes

Lots of good advice here. Feel like I have a loose plan. Thanks all
@brianlarsen @sclay @adi_mrok @stitch @Jamolay

1 Like

For helping to find and learn note names on the guitar neck ā€¦

plus in Theory module 4.3 the find a note exercise ā€¦

I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Moderator, Guide & Approved Teacher

2 Likes

@Colberg69 , Iā€™m right there with you. I was moving along okay until this lesson. Around the 3:50 mark, Justin says, ā€œYou know the root notes on the thicker stings, so therefore you know the root notes on the thinner strings as wellā€. Iā€™m not sure if I missed a lesson somewhere, but I do know the notes on strings 5 & 6, but I have not even begun to learn the other strings.

Granted Iā€™ve only been going through the Music Theory courses, so Iā€™m not sure if learning the thinner strings was in one of the other guitar lessons?

I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do now.

2 Likes

What Justin says is
You know the Root Notes on the the Thickest String(as in the E(6) string) So therefore you know the Root Notes on the thinnest String(as in the e(1) string)
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Oh! Thanks for the clarification. I misheard it. Although it still sounds like I need to learn all the notes in order to find the root note for the thinner strings.

1 Like

Hi David,

Here Justin is simply pointing out that the thickest and thinnest strings are the same. Both E and therefor if you know the notes on thickest E you automatically know the notes of the thin E. This is true but getting them to stick front of mind is tough. Then add the A, D, G and B string. Oh boy!

Part of my method is to memorize all the natural note positions on the E string; Frets 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12. Sharps and flats in between.

I also use a couple of die. Roll them and recall the notes E and A string which correspond to each die number. Then add together and recall that fret note (3 notes in total per string). Simple way of making it random and seems to have helped somewhat.

Basically it is very easy to ā€˜knowā€™ the notes on any string in any fret once you understand the musical alphabet. Recalling them quickly is a whole other matter.

All the best in your efforts

1 Like