Major Triad Grips Memory Exercises

Not the theory within 10 minutes, but the part where you play with backing tracks with G, C, D. The only problem is I don’t have the fretboard memorized, so it was very helpful for me to learn (Major 123 grip, also 234 because I already knew it from songs) with a tablature as it also was helping me with memorizing the notes on the fretboard as it is a systematic approach. Anyway I think I’ll follow Richard’s and your advice in playing them in different chord progressions in different songs, and I’ll use my guitar’s built-in tuner to learn and find the notes.

2 Likes

I think that’s the way to go. And it’s more enjoyable, because it sounds musical. But rather than using the inbuilt tuner to identify notes, I recommend finding the notes yourself using the octave method. That way you’re reinforcing the pattern the notes follow on the fretboard, rather than trying to memorise a random spot on the fretboard. If you haven’t seen Justin’s lesson on it, it’s worth a look.

2 Likes

As @jacksprat has said, I strongly suggest you do not find notes using an elecrtonic device. Use what you know to find what you don’t know.
These triads are all small fragments of bigger CAGED chords, specifically the A< E and C shapes. You should know where the root notes on strings 5 and 6 of any A-shape, E-shape and C-shape chord is. And you should know that another root at a higher pitch (one or two octaves higher) can be found within the A, E and C shapes on strings 3, 1 and 2 respectively.
See the diagram. The triads are shown as black dots with red root notes and they are sitting within a CAGED chord shape whose notes beyond the triad are grey or pink (for root notes).

I hope that helps.
Cheers, RIchard
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is making so much sense to me! I feel like someone has unlocked the fret board for me! Thanks to all, Happy New Year!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How can I prevent string squeak when sliding between triads?