Man of Constant Sorrow (in Double Drop D)

I think it’s about time I posted more on here, so here’s something of a work in progress. I started playing around with this song recently, since the module 18 lesson on open tunings. I’d prefer to have done it in one take, but I’ve edited out the most egregious mistakes, also tackled the background hiss issue that was present on my early soundcloud recordings. It’s rough around the edges, but I enjoyed making the video (also learned a bit about editing), and it’s here as a benchmark for future progress. I hope you enjoy it too

Man of Constant Sorrow (in Double Drop D)

PS In case you were wondering, the wording on my T shirt is “In my defence, I was left unsupervised”

19 Likes

Nice playing and singing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nicely done Ian.
Any time I hear this song I smile and think of O Brother Where Art Thou.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Ian, that was a very enjoyable rendition :blush:. I don’t know this song, but your playing and singing was lovely. Your voice fits so well.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

There was karaoke at my sister’s 70th birthday party last weekend, I sang Man of Constant Sorrow as a duet with my daughter, and of course, it was the “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou” version :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, Nicole. If you don’t know the song, then you’ve never seen the movie “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou” starring George Clooney. It’s a very funny film, with some excellent music (It’s not George singing, It’s actually Dan Tyminsky)

1 Like

Well played Ian. I have that song on a bluegrass compilation album by the Soggy bottom boys and it’s one of my favourites. Really enjoyed listening to you. Thanks for sharing it :clap:

1 Like

Sounds great, Ian, most enjoyable, thanks for sharing.

Great film … Soggy Bottom Boys :joy:

2 Likes

That sounds great Ian, lovely playing and such a spot on vocal for the song! The quality and balance were great.
Bravo! :clap:

1 Like

Really good Ian, I enjoyed your version. Well done.

1 Like

Nicely played and sung.

1 Like

Sweet sounding guitar
Superb vocals
smooth editing.
Well done on all fronts Old Man :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow, Ian! :clap:

Haven’t heard this song for ages and you nailed it! Singing and playing sounded terrific and touching. Thanks for sharing this gem!

1 Like

Hi Ian,
That was super :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…singing and playing was wonderful and with the thought of the movie (long ago but nice memories) enjoyed it all,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Nice rendition there Ian, good work!

1 Like

Hi Ian,

Nice job - makes the song sound more ballad-like - slightly mournful.
Love the film too. In fact, you may have prompted me to re-watch it - it’s been a while.

Digger

1 Like

Very nice Ian. Great voice and voicing.

1 Like

Very nice, and the quality of the recording is great too. :slight_smile: Also, I recommend everyone take time with the open tunings lesson you mentioned. It’s amazing how the character of the guitar changes with Double Drop D, even when playing the same open chords.

1 Like

A little late to the party but that was well played and sung Ian. Really enjoyed it.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I love this song Ian it’s such an uplifting song and I really enjoyed your version of it.

I, like Richard always think of, O brother were art thou, when I hear it.

1 Like