Man On The Moon Cover (G2 Consolidation)

Continuing Grade 2 consolidation with a cover of another REM classic (imo!). The Bm changes and chords aren’t as good as I’d like, singing while changing to it is the issue there, doing the guitar only I’m way happier with. Penultimate chorus also goes a smidge off track but at this point and rather than try another 20 recordings I’m going to “send it” as @Rod58 promotes :slight_smile:

Shout out to Rod too for a specific piece of advice that makes the whole song come together to my ears. Thank you sir. Not sure which song I’m going to attack next, but will probably switch back to an acoustic one.

Please let me know any tips / thoughts / advice. You can almost make out me smiling and enjoying this one, especially at the end @brianlarsen :rofl:

Thanks as always!

23 Likes

I thought you did great on this. You had a nice steady rhythm and chord changes looked smooth.

1 Like

It sounds awesome to me. This is one of my favourite REM songs. You did great!

1 Like

Hey Mark, you are on a Grade 2 Consolidation Roll! The singing and playing sounded good as usual. Loved the tone of the guitar. The only tip I would give you is with the Am shaped barre chords is bring the barre down such that the tip of your index finger is muting the 6th string. I take it your fretting the 3rd and 4th strings with your little finger on the Bm Chord?

1 Like

Cheers James!
Good suggestion with the barre, my full barre I have quite high because of the anatomy of my index finger so that’ll take some time to get used to but I’ll certainly work on that. On the Am shape I’ve mixed and matched a little but need to settle on one to properly bed in, it’s part of why they’re not as good as they could be in this recording I think, coupled with half looking at it and half not!!

1 Like

@TheCluelessLuthier @WouterBruffaerts Thanks guys for the listen and comments!

Sounded good to me. Strumming and chord changes looked smooth.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Lovely song ,well played and beautifully sung :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…The ending was funny, just the thought of saying it makes your face express itself cheerfully :smile:
Greetings,…

1 Like

:joy: thanks Rogier! I couldn’t resist it after my last AVOYP!

1 Like

Loved it my brother Mark! Really nice Dsus work in the Solo. Now let’s stand up!:grinning:…Rod

1 Like

Really good Mark, well done. One of my favourite REM songs and you made a good job if it.

1 Like

Yes this is such a great song and you pulled that one off nicely Mark well done! Few times you sort of lost the BT but I feel that was due to Bm chord which you will get sorted out I am sure… my word of advice - when you fret Bm chord you don’t need to fret 6th string, start from A string and that should make strings on lower notes ring out more clearly and changes become quicker. Just my 2 cs :wink: all the best!

1 Like

That was super Mark! Really smooth and your voice suited that song perfectly. Really enjoyed listening to your cover. Bravo :clap:

1 Like

Good choice, treal “tactical” song to go with your skill, vocal and timbre.

You seem to have a low base voice and still manage to do these higher up things with consistency and stability.

I’m gonna sound like an old hag repeating this but imagine this potential STANDING UP and waking his body work for him to project more, get “grounded” and make that diaphragm work!
You’ll get that thinness out of the higher parts and be able to “round of” your notes so much easier. (don’t get me wrong, this was a solid take)

Thanks for making me feel 16 again :smiley:

2 Likes

@Rod58 Appreciated :slight_smile: On the “old” chord style I was good with it standing but needed more time and honestly I’ve been on this for a while so just wanted to get the recording done, sitting was easier but I will be standing for other consolidation songs, I promise!

@sairfingers Cheers Gordon, one of my faves too :slight_smile:

@adi_mrok Thank you, echoing James’ advice which I will definitely take on board. Yes the Bm shift still needs a little work, it’ll be interesting to see how much of a difference that barre change can make to the ease of change.

@Eddie_09 Glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

@LievenDV Solid and valuable advice, thank you. I’ll be continuing to work on this anyway and actually have been doing it standing but as above an alteration in chords used a week or so back is what sat me down again :rofl:. When I’m happy with it standing again I will do another take. Appreciate the vocal comments generally, my natural level is quite low but continuing work with vocals is starting to open it up again (ex-choirboy and soloist many, many moons ago!). I’m sure it wasn’t that long ago to recall being 16 :wink:

1 Like

aha, you weren’t able to hide your roots :wink:

There’s more where that came from, bring it out, set it free! :smiley:

16? that’s 24 years ago already…

1 Like

Before certain “things” dropped Lieven!! :wink:
It’s certainly a different range now and actually I have found it hard to break away from pure chorister style, not that I want to entirely, but that with guitar isn’t the best friendly combination!!

2 Likes

gee i enjoyed that

1 Like

Guitar and vocal nice and tight. Good job, Mark.

1 Like

Nice one Mark, well on your way with Grade 2 consolidation.

I thought overall really good. Like @adi_mrok I noticed a few times your playing got away from the backing track, I noticed you being ahead more than behind. Is the BT loud enough in your headphone mix to hear the drum beat I wonder? Hearing the beat more can help, I often get off track if I can’t hear the “rest of the band” loud enough. You can always reduce levels post recording, assuming you’re using a DAW.