Mari's Blues Studies - Slow Six Blues added Mar 12/23

Your playing sounded clean, consistent, even, Mari. If there was the odd flub I certainly never noticed. And the tone of the Eastman and your recording was wonderful.

From a personal totally subjective feel/taste perspective, it felt a little rushed to me. I’ve not listened to Justin play this one, so I expect the tempo is what it is supposed to be.

I don’t think you have the ability to edit the title. The new platform settings allow you to edit the first post in the Topic in perpetuity, but seems not the title. @Richard_close2u could you look into this?

I edited your title and also included a link in the topic to the reply where you added the recording in the topic, for those (like me) who like to scan the entire topic from where the new recording was added.

1 Like

That sounds fantastic Mari!

1 Like

Hi Mari,
Cooool :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap:,this was a very nice one and i really loved it…And terrifying because i haven’t started this one yet and it seems really much more difficult than the first one`s :grimacing: :sweat_smile:
Absolutely amazing :star_struck:
Greetings…

1 Like

That sounded wonderful, Mari. You’re making great progress with the solo blues course. You did very well on the chromatic walk down on the turnaround. Look forward to the next piece. Great stuff.

1 Like

Really nice job Mari, I’m not on that part of the course yet so can’t offer any critique, but can certainly say I enjoyed it!! Lovely tone from that Eastman too :+1:

1 Like

@DavidP @twistor59 @roger_holland @Socio @Notter thank you all very much for listening and commenting, very much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

David, I’m glad you commented on the tempo. I also prefer it slower. Justin suggests in the video to learn it to the speed he sets, 90 bpm, then to play whatever you’re comfortable with. I actually like it slowed down to ~ 80 bpm, and your comment reminds me that I should play what I think sounds good! I just checked my tempo now and it’s 92/93 bpm, so a bit faster than even Justin suggests, but a lot faster than my preference. Next time.

David and Mark, that Eastman is a nice guitar. I wasn’t familiar with that name at all, but now Eastman is on my list of possibilities for my ‘dream guitar’. I’m thinking that if I don’t find my dream guitar locally when I’m off for a couple weeks in April I might go to Toronto when I have vacation time in September and find my dream guitar there. My favorite guitar store sells Eastmans, I checked :slightly_smiling_face:

Phil, thanks for listening :slightly_smiling_face:

Rogier, I’m waiting for your Blues Log … :wink:

James, thanks for being kind on the chromatic run lol. Re course progress, Justin wants us to expand on the course learning and incorporate the learning into other playing, so I have to say I’m nowhere really with that. The Gospel Slides from the 3rd piece are one thing I think I could work on to add elsewhere. My plan though is to learn them all first, and have an assortment of intros / turnarounds / endings I can mix and match, and also be able to mix and match the various actual pieces. Eventual goals are much broader, but I’m happy just headed in this direction for now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mari that was great, when you started I was blown away how confident you played the intro and this descending line, this is top notch to me! Sure perhaps there were some minor notes that didn’t come out clean but it really was barely noticeable and you really played it great! Loved the tone too, such a thick and rich sound off this guitar, definitely give some other smaller mode

1 Like

@adi_mrok thank you Adrian, that is very nice to hear! I actually kind of had the piece learned at the beginning of March and just didn’t get around to recording it, but that extra week-plus of continuing to play it a few times every day made a big difference for how well I can play it. That gives me something to think about in the future when I think I’ve learned a song! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, Mari, you’re really rock’n the blues. It sounds to my ears like you are getting into playing it the way you’re feeling it. I’m really liking your blues postings, and looking forward to more. Oh, yeah!!

1 Like

I don’t get on the forum that much any more and I may have already commented, or not, I’m unsure with 89 comments and amalgamated threads.

That said, well done Mari! Smooth, bluesy and very cool. I like what you are doing here a lot. Very easy listening.

2 Likes

Crisp and clean :star2:

Your making fantastic progress Mari :smiley:

1 Like

That was terrific Mari, beautifully played. Your picking and fretting looked and sounded so confident. Well done. You’re cruising through these blues studies.
Lovely guitar tone too. You can’t beat a dreadnaught for tone.

1 Like

@oldhead49 @CT @liaty @sairfingers

‘Rock’n the blues’ works for me, Dave, thank you! More to come for sure.

Clint, thanks for stopping by to listen and comment. Learning some acoustic blues (and other fingerstyle) I’m having the most fun with my guitar I think ever :slightly_smiling_face:

Dave G, thank you, I am definitely aiming for progress working through Justin’s course :slightly_smiling_face:

Gordon, the journey has quite a few bumps and detours but I feel like I’m learning a lot, and most importantly it’s so much fun. I agree that It’s hard to beat the sound of a dreadnought. I was even thinking maybe I’d buy a dreadnought for my dream guitar and then a smaller one to play when it was too much for my shoulder. I quite quickly realized that’s not going to work for me, my dream guitar will want me to play it every day! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Bluesy all the way there Mari. The guitar sounded great and your confidence with the piece came across I thought.

1 Like

Thanks Stefan, I’m really enjoying Justin’s course, and learning lots :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mari your fantastic playing has inspired me to take up Justin’s Solo Blues guitar course myself. Really impressed with your timing which is hard when all the fingers and thumb are doing different things - very easy to lose your way. Peter

1 Like

@rorystrat thank you Peter, and I’m glad to have inspired you to do this course - have fun with it :slight_smile:

Congratulation, you nailed the sixth blues. Looking forward to the next😊

1 Like

@Snah thank you :slightly_smiling_face: Been distracted and busy with work so haven’t been working on this course much lately, I hope to get back to it soon though.

Very nicely done Mari. :clap:

1 Like