Mari's Blues Studies - Slow Six Blues added Mar 12/23

I think I have to organize my postings here a bit better so it’s clear what I’m referring to, but yes I was talking about Solo Blues 3 / Gospel Blues. As it turned out the intro, the turnaround and the ending were the most difficult, the rest was not too bad. I’m on to Slow Six Blues now - with no expectation for a posting date so I won’t hold you to any posting dates either!

1 Like

@DavidP thanks David, I’m really enjoying this course. As for the video production I should have excluded altogether the centre shot where the lighting is atrocious, but hey I’ve got lots to learn on video editing too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mari - I don’t think it you so no need to be clearer. Its me having navigating difficulties with these new combined threads. I think its easier to miss things, especially added recordings, unless you listen there and then. If I come back in a few days its all moved on and I’ve lost the plot. But nothing new there. Just keep doing what you are doing as it gives me the incentive to keep at Justin’s course while working on the other Hamburger stuff.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello Mari, it’s a few days that I was wondering “but where the new video is?!” …and today I’ve finally found it :sweat_smile: It sounds really really good! The blues seems so difficult to me.

1 Like

Incredible, Mari! Awesome to be able to do this. Loved the cool ending FX.

1 Like

A ditto from me on all this. I know I replied to your previous blues study posts as I remember commenting on the camera work and you saying it gave you a laugh. I’ve had to go back through the posts and work out the time frame of that reply and realised I haven’t listened to or replied to your ‘gospel blues’ post.
It’s terrific. You’ve really got the bit between your teeth with these. Well done. I particularly liked the slides you put in. Sooo blooozy. Your timing was great and the picking accuracy excellent.
I look forward to the next instalment (hopefully I’ll find it!).

1 Like

Missed that completely, its the one I am on at the moment. Ooops better back trawl :confused:

Nicely done Mari. I know realize I was in a parallel universe or at least in one of the firsts posts. Must stop Dismissing posts but then the forests grow back. You made that look effortless so thank you for sharing. So you can certainly ignore my F# comment earlier but I would add with a new set up the slides are now working better than before. Still WIP for now.
Look forward to the next one.

1 Like

@SILVIA thank you for looking long enough to find it! I’m glad you liked it. I’m reading a book on the history of the blues and it seems the blues is all about feeling. That seems like a good starting point anyway!!

1 Like

@pkboo3 thank you Pam. Is it okay to say I’m thrilled to be able to play these pieces? Lol. Got a long way to go but I’m very happy to be where I am right now.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner thanks Toby, Justin’s Solo Blues course is amazing, I’m loving it. Great music, and Justin’s teaching is first class for sure.

1 Like

@sairfingers thank you Gordon. This course is great because it brings new (to me) stuff with every piece. At the end of this one Justin talks about using those slides in other playing, but that is a couple of steps beyond me right now.

Re finding pieces, there’s so much going on in AVOYP now it’s impossible to keep up. I figure that must be a good thing though, lots more people playing guitar!

2 Likes

Hi Mari, really enjoyed this, thought the timing was spot on. I have just begun this course and am on Steady Thumb at present, will watch closely how you are doing. Excellent job! :sunglasses: :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Mal, and have fun with the course, I certainly am!

@Mari63

re: Gospel Blues. An accomplished play through overall, you have a relaxed way of going through the passages. The sliding flat barre on G, B & E occasionally snagged on the frets and missed target or missed time by a fraction. No biggie at all. Are the frets and action high … perhaps making this a tricky move?

re: Steady Thumb Blues. Bravo. That thumb is a whizz. Kudos for the awkward arch formed at fret 2 for the shape that isn’t a barre because it’s even more tricky! If I had a criticism, a finickity one, your curls are maybe getting pushed just a tiny bit too far, almost reaching a semitone and going beyond the little blues tweak. But I’m splitting hairs where none is really needed.

re: Walkin’ Easy Blues. You have that bass line rocking and grooving, oh my. There are some little muted buzzy notes from your E and B strings at times and it might be worth trying to just play repetitive plucks with your two fingers on those two strings counted on the &s of several bars. 1 pluck 2 pluck 3 pluck 4 pluck. Aim to get them ringing for their allotted eighth and ring on until you next pluck them.

re: both the riffs & fills vids. Kudos. Getting to grips with switching between the rockin’ riffin’ part and the bursts of lead guitar is a great move and you’ve entered in style. Tearing up some tasty stuff. Bravo.

1 Like

Impressive work @Mari63

@Richard_close2u already summed up a nice feedback above so no need fro me to go too deep

I love your feel
You really prove to be able to flow along with the vibe of the song while in the meantime, you deliver accurate fretting and picking.

Thanks for sharing and love that guitar btw :wink:

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u you pick up on everything Richard! I found that little slide in Gospel Blues quite difficult to get, and yes there might be an issue with the frets that I hadn’t considered. (Not to try to ignore Issues with my playing of course!) maybe this is a good reason to look harder for my dream guitar lol. And for STB I mentioned somewhere above that I wasn’t being crisp enough with the bends, so those little curls I do need to work on. And I also noticed that there’s some unintentional muting on WEB. There’s something a bit similar in the piece I’m working on now, so I will try your suggestion about repetitive plucks. Thank you very much for your detailed constructive feedback, Richard, and also for your nice positive comments :slightly_smiling_face:

@LievenDV thank you, your comment about the feel makes me very happy. I’m reading The Devil’s Music, A History of the Blues right now, and it’s telling me that’s the biggest thing about the Blues - the feeling. If I can show the feeling, hopefully that means I’m on the way :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Slow Six Blues added Mar 12/23

Here’s the 4th piece of 9 in Justin’s Solo Blues Guitar course. I’ve got a friend’s guitar borrowed for a week, an Eastman E10-SS. It’s a slope shoulder, which is a dreadnought, so the sound is great. It’s too big for my shoulder for me to play comfortably for very long though, so it’s not my dream guitar - still looking.

I didn’t want to use my guitar head camera clip on for a video view, since it’s not my guitar, but I did have 2 cameras for the video still. I did 2 partial takes, and 2 full takes. On the playback I realized that I had once again set the video record button to slow-mo, making that video useless. That was the front/centre video, so I’m left with just the closer video, which isn’t framed very well. Oh well, you can still hear the guitar.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. Richard noted some muting on the E and B strings for one of the prior ones , so I tried to take that into account on this piece and let the high strings ring out. I think it was more successful than before, but it still needs work. For this one I found the fast chromatic walk down on the turn around the most challenging part, and I’m not getting a very good little curl in the 1 spot. Other than that I think the muck ups are pretty much due to the recording button being red :woman_shrugging:

I thought we could change the title of the first post to add info re new posts, but I can’t figure out how to do that today.

9 Likes

Sounding good Mari, no critical feedback here but you are making great progress through the course. Well done. Man I must get round recording the first two but I have extreme Solo Blues RBS for some reason !! On the framing I don’t think there is anything wrong as your picking hand is visible and that’s where the important action is. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Toby, I’m looking forward to the next piece! Maybe the timing will work out perfect and Justin’s revamped Solo Blues Course will come out right when I finish this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes