Messin’ in Bb - sairfingers

I enjoyed it and especially that you left “space” and did not overplay it. Very bluesy.

@2:48 nothing better then smile and continue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably not until after the next OM Gordon. My hands are a bloody mess right now no one needs to see that :slight_smile: @TheMadman_tobyjenner can relate.

1 Like

Thanks for the listen Eric. Haha yes, I should have stopped around the 2 minute mark. That’s long enough to expect anyone to listen to this sort of thing. :smiley:

Enharmonic pun? We see what you did there.

2 Likes

Better to be A# than Bb.

2 Likes

You caught me in the act, if I was a trout I’d have been smoked and eaten long ago…just can’t resist the baited hook.

3 Likes

Love your sense of humour Gordon, though my guffaws were cut short when I read the outside temp. :cold_face:

1 Like

Doin well laddie ! That vibrato has really come in leaps and bounds. Lots of good insights above no need to repeat. And the Heath Robinson backing track set up works, so ignore the doomsayers.
Could have been worse, could have been a Fife Roberston contraption instead ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

You are emerging as a playa. The best way to get better is to keep at it and find your own voice. You are much more conversational, experimental and soulful with this one. Well done sir!

2 Likes

I had a sense of what is meant by “Heath Robinson”, but thought I’d Google just to be sure. And I was not quite right, if a Google search result is to be believed:

William Heath Robinson remains one of Britain’s best-loved illustrators and has embedded himself into English vernacular, inspiring the phrase ‘it’s all a bit Heath Robinson’ to describe any precarious or unnecessarily complex contraption

To my mind then, playing the BT through the amp aux, seems about as direct and simple means to play over a BT as one can get and simplifies the recording.

I look forward to making the odd video in similar fashion in due course. Super simple, with just the amp and a phone to record the video (no Reaper and OBS, playing with headphones on, resolving latency, etc.)

2 Likes

Thanks so much Clint. You’ve made my day!

1 Like

Haha, over 30 replies in two days, Gordon- makes me feel like I’m the last to catch this bus :laughing:
I did have a quick listen when it was released, but never got around to leaving my 2 cents.
Seeing that this is a fresh start community, I shall leave my old bluntness behind and say superb!
Well, maybe not quite, but there is undoubtedly an audible progression (in the right direction :wink:). If you keep this up, you will end up in Clint-land sooner than you think :sunglasses:
Out of curiosity, is this the direction you see yourself wanting to travel, or a detour/added string to your bow? I probably had you pegged more as a strum’n’singster.
Are you following Justin’s lead/improv course and learning all the licks or forging into the jungle on your tod with your machete?
Whichever it is, it’s working, so onward and upwards.
Happy Hogmanay :smiley:

2 Likes

Give it a shot! My journey has me charging toward mediocrity, you can and should set your sights higher. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Brian thanks for the listen and supportive comments.

To be honest, I jump about and go through phases of learning acoustic stuff including fingerstyle, then move to the bluesy lead stuff. I’m also guilty of cherry picking Justin’s lessons and also some TrueFire lessons that I’ve been given as presents at various times. I probably want too many strings to my bow!

I followed the Beginner’s Course methodically and started the Intermediate Course the same way but I’m a bit more haphazard at the moment.

I look/listen to some of the others on the forum oops! Community who concentrate on one area and improve more quickly (or so it seems to me).
But we’ve all talked about this before. Don’t compare yourself to others and find what suits at a particular time and have fun.

Happy New Year to you too when it comes.

1 Like

Actually it’s spelt Fyfe Robertson Toby. :smiley:
And for those who don’t know what we’re on about, he was a well known Scottish tv broadcaster and writer in the ’60’s and early ‘70’s. He was famous for his ‘roving’ reports and tweed jackets.

1 Like

Well Maggie according to the weather forecast, Scotland’s in for the warmest New Year’s Day on record. It’s to be a blistering 12 degC!

1 Like

Skills over gear. All of the Justin lessons are great, no question about it, but a one year all access pass on TrueFire is a really great investment. I highly recommend this courseware:

2 Likes

I know we’re not supposed to mention other competitors products but I have the all access pass also, so many good courses! Something for everyone there for sure. I think it’s an especially great resource for people who have completed Justin’s foundation courses and are looking to explore styles to specialize in.

2 Likes

I’m not sponsored by anyone, and Justin can rest easy, he is the online guitar lesson king. “After all it’s a great big world with lots of places to run to…” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The TrueFire site seems to offer non stop sales. The all access pass for a year is currently $99 (£73).