Messin’ in Bb - sairfingers

I’ve finally found a way to play over a backing track and record at the same time.
I managed to coax an old phone back into life and get it to connect to Spotify then plugged it into the aux in port on my amp. That lets me use my iPhone to record the video.

The backing track is called ‘Backbeat Blues in Bb’.
It’s my new line in the sand with recording techniques. Eat your heart out @DavidP

The improv needs much more work of course. This is really by way of an experiment.

13 Likes

Great to watch :sunglasses:

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like you sorted out your setup Gordon, balance is good and sounds good to me overall! See you are experimenting with different keys, that’s super cool!

1 Like

This was fantastic! I love blues guitar and while I’m many lessons away in Justin’s course from tackling that section you’ve inspired me to keep at it until I get there!

3 Likes

I enjoyed that a lot Gordon. Your phrasing was really good. Nice job.

1 Like

Well your experiment went really well Gordon. I thought you used repetition and space really well. I loved the way you got right into it too. I’m nowhere near a place to give any tips, as I’m headed down this road myself but I’m not very far along - but I’m going to make one suggestion anyway! You’ve done a nice job on the bends, what about incorporating some slides as well? The runs are good, but they tend to be a bit staccato. Keep that for sure, but you could think about adding some slides in places to complement with some legato.

1 Like

That was awesome Gordon! Love the sound of that SG. Well done!

1 Like

Nicely done! Easy groovin blues jam. Good quality video and audio. Really good look with the SG and camera angle - style points.

1 Like

Now Gordon don’t go upsetting him or next we’ll have an epic dissertation on recording :sweat_smile: He will at least want more detail :smile_cat:

You’ve got a very cool sounding vibe here Gordon and you look far more connected with what you’re doing. I get the impression that the musical imagination that Justin encourages us to develop is happening for you.

1 Like

Well done, Gordon! Your phrasing and use of “empty space” is solid. Keep at it. If you’re interested in suggestions, I’d look at some more variation of the solo’s rhythm (e.g., maybe more eighth notes thrown into different phrases). An easy suggestion might be some B.B. King style “big quick descending slides” when you do a single note (or even chord) “stab.” Also, I see that you play vibrato along the axis of the string. That’s a technique that is used in classical guitar, and it’s valid. However, on an electric you might get better results moving perpendicular to the string. Often, a good way to approach vibrato is to hold the note without vibrato for just a bit, then add in the vibrato. Something worth playing around with.

Anyway, that was enjoyable; thanks for sharing. And congrats on getting the backing track + guitar audio sorted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good things going on there, Gordon. Nice to see you trying different keys, too. It’s coming along just fine and you are making definite progress. I like seeing that SG, too. Waited a long time for that. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

@sairfingers

A# video, Gordon, enjoyed your jam. I especially noticed the quick bend on the fist note of a repeated lick.

Good to be able to reach into the ‘Man drawer’ (just read Michael McIntyre’s autobiography) and re-purpose one of those old phones.

Hope that’s not your quota for the year, that you’ll not go into jam hibernation to stay in the wife’s good books :rofl:

:pleading_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :no_mouth: :grin:

2 Likes

I wonder how long this will last David? :rofl:

2 Likes

1 Like

@roger_holland @adi_mrok @kdickson519 @frito @mari @Tom_B @NickDelRey @batwoman @J.W.C @oldhead49

Thank you all so much for the listen and supportive, encouraging replies. As always, your support and interest means a lot.

As I said, this was a bit of an experiment in recording over a ’real’ backing track as opposed to a home made Trio+ one.
In terms of sound balance, the issues were the same, ie. master volume on the amp, distance between the amp and phone and phone orientation to frame the video. Backing track volume in is done using the old phone volume control and of course guitar volume is by the guitar controls.
All very hit or miss and until you listen to the playback you don’t know if you’ve got it right.

Regarding backing tracks, I still feel a bit of a cheat as they make the whole thing sound so much better than it should!

Arggghhh. I’ve just tried to post this and been told I can only mention 10 users in a post!!

I’m working on the areas of play that you’ve highlighted. Slides, vibrato technique, changing the rhythm with 8th notes and trying to be less staccato.
As for musical imagination, it changes every time I play something like this, no two are the same so it’s difficult to improve as I’ve forgotten what I did last time.
Yes, of course videoing an improv over a backing track is the answer to that and now I’ve found a way to do it I can work more on those techniques.

3 Likes

Lovely seeing you play that SG Gordon! Nicely done on the production as well. I’m looking forward to digging into Blues soloing in the new year so it’s really cool seeing others experiment. Keep em coming!

1 Like

@DavidP Well David, as you’ve seen from my previous post, you’re number 11, so I’ll have to mention you separately. I’ll take this opportunity to give you all the relevant recording details as I agree with @batwoman that they are very important.
Guitar - Gibson SG
Amp - Boss Katana 50
Backing track played through iPhone 3 into amp via various adaptors.
Video recorded on iPhone 11
iPhone 3 at mid volume
Guitar volume at 5 using neck humbucker
Amp master volume at 10 o’clock
Amp to iPhone distance - 4 metres
iPhone to me distance - 1 metre
Room temp - 20degC
Outside temp - 4 degC. Cloudy, overcast potentially some rain later in the day.

With regard to my wife’s reaction she said it sounded really good as the backing track covered me up!
:joy:

2 Likes

I guess guitar volume needs to be raised :laughing:

1 Like

Hey , she sounds just like my wife…
And now i have to play and practice ,way too long reading and thinking how and what to buy,
later in the day I’ll break my head again,…enjoy the day, and have fun playing.
Greetings , Rogier

1 Like

Thanks for the listen Ivan. Yes the Blues improv stuff is good fun. However like everything guitar it’s yet another endless journey. Looking forward to your next AVoYP.

1 Like