Metronome alternative?

Can someone please advise me on the best (and cheapest ) way to play very basic drum accompaniments on my PC. I have been using a metronome but its getting on my nerves now. I have looked at Beatbuddy and Boss Rythm units but they look like overkill. I am only a beginner and want to use it to improve my strumming and chord change practice and maybe play alongside the few songs that i`ve learned.
Sorry if this has been covered already ( I did search -honest. ) :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a few Phone apps that are worth looking at, like Loopz.

Or, on the PC, you could get a Drum machine like Hydrogen. If you use a DAW, many of those come with drum loops. There’s also tools like EZDrummer.

But the easiest for pre-canned drum loops is to use drum backing tracks. Check out Lumbeat on Youtube for a load of cool ones.

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

thanks–that Lumbeat might just do the job. Will look at EZD later.

Oh, I just remembered: a nice PC tool is Tonelib GFX which includes a bunch of drum backing tracks, as well as an Ideas recorder, and some other tools.

It’s got a free trial and it’s on special offer at the moment.

Cheers,

Keith

Now feeling a bit stupid—never thought about youtube

Hi Tommion,
Ha ha …Don`t feel that way .Sometimes the most obvious goes unseen…did I say sometimes?..a lot of times :blush:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

I have a free App on my Android Smartphone, it’s called Metro Drum and it’s so much fun to strum along :blush: But I also use the Metronome for practice :blush:

1 Like

If you have an I phone Garage Band is on it and it’s free

1 Like

Use the built in practice assistant on the JustinGuitar site. It has a built in metronome that is not very intrusive.
You will get the best of two worlds:
A structured practice routine
A nice metronome that is programmable

1 Like

Thank you all for helpful replies… I managed to find some on Youtube but interrupted by adverts and can`t get Garageband to work on PC so …I thought to heck with it , and bought a Boss Rythm Partner which I can take outside to my den (shed) and strum away in peace alongside my acoustic.

5 Likes

It arrived this morning. Absolutely brilliant .Easy set up for my ageing brain and will help with my Acoustic practice. Had 40 presets already in memory. A wee bit pricy for what it is but so portable and did I already say --easy to use. :grinning: Also plugs in to my electric guitar amp as a bonus.

2 Likes

Do you like it? I’m looking for a hardware metronome to love, I’ve many Korgs, but wanted to consider Boss approach

@Pleasedodisturb Hi–Yes I like it. Its possibly overkill for my level of playing (grade 2) but its hopefully going to help me. Plus its fun . Have a look at a couple of youtube videos and see what you think. I also got it on a 14 day free return from you know who.

Oh wait, I thought you’re talking about Boss Metronome (DB-30), but you’re talking about that giant thing - https://www.boss.info/global/products/dr-01s/ ?

Whoa, I need to investigate :smiley:

I need to choose my next gadget - Trio+ or this thing? They are both massively overly over my playing level, but sounds like a lot of fun

1 Like

I managed to find some on Youtube but interrupted by adverts

I run a security blocker in the browser called UBlock Origin. Seems to block most during-playback adds on YT. You still get the one at the start but not the more intrusive ones. YMMV.

1 Like

(I use windows PC and never mobile, so not sure if it works on mobile also)
Try use Brave browser. I get no adds at all.

1 Like

I got seriously annoyed by the metronome sound after a short while and found a solution for myself.
I use Guitar Pro to make my drum beats as substitute for the metronome. Also it can export files, for people to download and different formats. It started an avalanche in my mind.

An idea have been brewing over the last couple of weeks, about making things like this and other stuff also. Being some of us in the community making it and let it to be part of JG. But I will write a separate post about my ideas and how it could benefit all of us when I get back home. Because the ideas involve more than just the metronome alternative.
Now I simply need to get down to my little creeky place and practice for some hours. I get some good ideas down there. Sun is shining and hardly any wind and was just back home for something to eat. :joy: :joy: :joy:

@kimlodrodawa Way over my head at this stage but good idea. I`ll stick with my new Boss for now. :grinning:

2 Likes

If you just want some basic drums, I’ve been using Online drum machine | Musicca

There are quite a few online options, but that’s the one I seem to have settled on, as it’s basic enough to use easily, while still having enough functionality to cover most things needed for practice.

1 Like

It was for people like me and others who already have software and time, to make to you and others, so you don’t have to go invest in stuff. :wink: But I will do a little work and put a post together, where I explain further. - Have followed the post here and looked at the Boss thingy you got. Seem like a fun toy :slight_smile: