Module 1 Practice Schedule

No I noticed that too

1 Like

Hi Corban @CG2010, welcome to the community! Fortunately there’s nothing really to see in that bit anyway! I haven’t seen this occur again in any of the lessons I’ve done. :smiley:

1 Like

I love the 1 min change exercise. It’s really usefull and recorded stats and visible improvement are so rewarding!
Nevertheless, I struggle with fluency of my arm movement when playing A and D chords. I move my arm to each beat and strum only on beat one. It’s not difficult to move my forearm, tap my foot, count aloud and change chords on the guitar neck. Everything is fluent. However, once I need to strum the strings, I tend to freeze for a moment in order to place my thumb/pick precisely and avoid the two thickest strings. Any tips how to avoid this and be more fluent without strumming wrong strings?

1 Like

Hi @Migelito, I guess the best way is to slow down as much as you need to be able to make sure you hit the right strings without interrupting the movement of your arm. Once this goes smoothly you can start speeding up, and not looking at the strings. It will come with practice!

2 Likes

Hi! I have a question is it normal for your wrist and forearm to feel sore after you do the practice routine?

1 Like

Hi @Amber16, and welcome to the forum! Hope you’re having fun on your journey!

Your first and forearm shouldn’t feel sore. However, all this is also new to them, so they will have to get used to the exercise. This might create tension and and some soreness, but it should go away. In any case: limit your practice time. Better spread exercising over multiple sessions than cramming it all in one long session.

But you could also be putting too much unnecessary tension on them by gripping the neck too hard, pushing the strings down too hard, bending your wrist too much. Try to be conscious of your way of holding and playing the guitar and aim for a relaxed arm, a straight wrist (or at least with as little flex as possible) and not more pressure than needed. You could try filming yourself while exercising and look afterwards to see what you are really doing, which might not be what you think you are doing :wink:

1 Like

I just started learning last Wednesday. How often should I practice per day and per week? I’m experiencing the normal finger pain but want to progress steadily. By the way, I’m almost 68 and just want to be able to play a few songs eventually.

1 Like

Hello Dana,

Welcome to the community. Terrific place here that will help you along the way.
I’d suggest picking up the guitar every day. As to how long to practice, well that depends on your situation. I probably wouldn’t go more than an hour at a time at this stage. It is much better to pick the guitar up more often, in shorter bursts, than less often in longer bursts
Best of luck. Stick close to Justins lessons, join in, and reach out here anytime. You’ll be rippin’ some tunes in no time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hi Dana @DSC1755, and welcome!

I started playing almost two years ago now, and I sure remember how it felt: many days I wanted to play more, but just couldn’t! Justin recommends absolute beginners practice 20 minutes per day. He suggests breaking that into two 10-minute periods to help with the inevitable finger pain. Also, especially for us older folks, this makes it easier to build strength in our hands while avoiding overuse injuries. Even if you haven’t watched all the lessons yet, have a look at the Grade 1 Module 1 practice routine. There’s good info there!
EDIT - Oops, I just realized this thread is for the practice routine. It might be worth reviewing the text on the website, and maybe even the lesson, to internalize Justin’s guidance. :blush:

And if you’re inclined, introduce yourself over on the “Older guitar students - can “old dogs” learn new tricks?” area of the community. You’ll find well over 200 kindred spirits (including me) over there!

1 Like

Thanks for the response, Shane. I read somewhere yesterday that learning how to play a guitar is a marathon, not a sprint.

1 Like

Thanks, Judi. I’m going to be taking a few days off because I now have a blister on my left middle finger. Anyway, I was going at a little too intense. I’ll check out the “old dogs” community.

1 Like

Ah, yes, the blisters. Another thing I experienced (and still do at times) is that my callouses peel a bit and catch on the strings. I’ve found it very helpful to apply a rich hand cream to my hands, and especially those fingertips, every night before bed. It may seem counterintuitive, but it for me helps keep the callouses in good shape. (It might help with the blister too!) Oh - another tip regarding the peeling callouses is to get an inexpensive glass nail file and even out the catches without removing the callous itself. Here’s the one I got, but there are many out there. Hope your blister heals quickly!

1 Like

Hi all,

I am roughly at Module 4 of Grade one, learning for a little over a month now.

One thing I am really confused about is how / when did Nitsuj start to strum multiple times in a bar?
Also I dont find the connection between the number of times he strums in a Bar and the Guitaraoke thing on the videos. Sometimes there is just one Chord name in a circle (in a a bar) and he strums two or more times and sometimes he ignores a Chord (when it is the same chord) on Beat 3 in a Bar.

What should we (beginners) be doing and where is it explained?
I really feel a link missing between my Chord and first songs practice and Strumming patterns.

Any pointers and directions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sven

1 Like

Hi Sven @Hackshock, and welcome to the forum!

Generally, when starting of with a new song (or song practice), first strum once per bar, on the first beat. When that goes well, you can add a strum on 3. When that’s fine, go for 4 strums per bar, on each beat. And when you can get that right, you can try applying some more fancy strumming pattern, like the ‘old faithful’ pattern introduced in module 4.

Try to play as even as possible, so nice clean chord changes and even, relaxed strumming.

Have fun, and good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it! In hindsight makes a lot of sense, but as a total beginner, I was just not sure and did not want to invent my own “rules” :slight_smile:

What when there is a different Chord on Beat 3 of a Bar? Should I just continue with the strumming pattern?

2 Likes

First focus on strumming on 1 and 3, making sure you get the chord change in time. Then go for 4 down strums. When that goes well, try some strumming pattern that sounds good. Using old faithful will give yo some extra time to change the chord, as there’s no strum on 3. But you can try different strumming patterns, see how you go - put a bit of your creative side in it :slight_smile: It will also teach you when to start a chord change in order to be in time for the strum on 3.

3 Likes

When a bar is shared equally between two chords, the second chord first occurs on the count of 3.
Old Faithful is not a good pattern for such bars as there is no strum happening on the count of 3.
You are better advised, if you want to move beyond simple four strums per bar, to play a different pattern.
For example,
D, D, U, D, U, D
1, 2, &, 3, &, 4

1 Like

Hi all. I have a (probably stupid) question. I will try my best to explain. When I lift my fingers to move to a different chord, the strings make an extra sound (essentially like a pull-off). How do I stop this to get cleaner chord switches? It is on nylon strings so not sure it that plays a role. It almost feels/sounds like the string is sticking to my finger when I life, thereby essentially played when I lift off (and yes I ensured to wash my hands prior to playing just in case :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Hmm… There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers :slightly_smiling_face:

Which strings? The ones you were fretting? Are you pressing down on the strings very strongly, so that it takes effort lifting your fingers? Are you perhaps inadvertently touching the strings again shortly when you are changing chords?

The only thing coming to my mind right now, is that you could experiment with how lightly you press down on the strings and have them still ringing out clearly. That could lessen friction when changing chords, I guess…

Btw, welcome to the community, Johan :slightly_smiling_face: If you have a moment, why not introduce yourself here? Introduce yourself ... - JustinGuitar Community

1 Like

thank you. Yes it is the fretting string and I was thinking that I was not pressing down that hard. Perhaps it will get better with practice but I will try pressing lighter going forward and see if that helps, as well as try to lift fingers quicker/slower.

2 Likes