Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

be happy, that I don’t post a AVoYgu :rofl:

I only can agree! At least in my head, I’m still pretty young :wink:

Thanks! Cheers! :cup_with_straw:

4 Likes

Oh well, I guess I’m just barking up the wrong tree.

3 Likes

Lucky you! I absolutely don’t feel as good at 74 as I did at 50.

2 Likes

Mark …that gap you describe is half my entire age :roll_eyes:
:laughing:
Greetings

2 Likes

I think zi have patience now (in my late 50s) and perhaps Ive realised that I will never know everything and can concentrate on those areas of my learning that are achievable.

2 Likes

I thought a single post with all Old Dogs tagged would be quite a thing to see …

EDIT

This is now all on the first post of the topic Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

25 Likes

Hi Richard,
Oooo that’s cool. :smiley: :sunglasses:… and…

you really need a hobby :sweat_smile: :laughing:

Nice to see,
Greetings

10 Likes

Thanks Richard. That’s very impressive :astonished:.

:joy::sweat_smile::joy:

7 Likes

Brilliant. Thank you Richard. That is helpful and a great motivator for any student. Cheers.

3 Likes

Here is an old dog with an almost new trick.

In the winter, I suffer badly with arthritis and have trouble trouble fretting.

So, thanks to the knowledge I have acquired on the beginners course,practical music course, and from the community,I have a practical workaround.

Open D- capo on fret two for open E.

This gives single finger major 5th chords on the bottom three strings .

Now, I changed the G sharp in the tuning to G to keep the top three strings in standard.
So…
I can play all my blues licks on the top three strings ,plus partial pentatonic scales, and also have access to triads - especially e string root minor triads. Work is still in with triads.You just have to remember the board has moved two frets.

4 Likes

@Richard_close2u
Wonderful!
Playing guitar must have taken years off me! :guitar::smiley:

2 Likes

Made a big email notification…:grin:
See you all Monday…?

1 Like

Richard .Can you think of an easy 7th grip on the top three strings.

2 Likes

That is quite a list!

2 Likes

Doesn’t compiling lists count as a hobby?

:hushed:

8 Likes

We are in good company!

I wonder who the oldest old dog is?

2 Likes

@Peterctid
Err….my name isn’t Richard and no I can’t think of an easy 7th grip on the top 3 strings.
The real Richard @Richard_close2u might be able to help you….although he isn’t much good at compiling lists!

2 Likes

We are Legion :smiling_imp::rofl:

3 Likes

Oh,sorry. Obviously, now I read it correctly.

I blame old age.

4 Likes

Hi Richard,
Ha ha …Nooo… :smile: …sometimes it’s a pitty that I can no longer see the likes given to your mods, otherwise it would have saved me a story and in other situations I also miss it sometimes…but that must be my age to "complain"about such things :smile: … mayby we will look for a MEANINGFUL hobby together :upside_down_face:… although lists are part of this time of year… but that must be an annual list for 2023. …
Oooo, enough nonsens, I have a birthday party soon and I wish everyone a lot of fun the rest of the day…

And don`t forget to play your guitar old people instead of chatting here :face_with_raised_eyebrow::roll_eyes:

Greetings :guitar:

3 Likes