Module 1 Practice Schedule

You can definitely use the app on multiple IOS devices if they use the same Apple account. I don’t know about Android. Unfortunately there is no sharing capability between the app and the website.

1 Like

Hi Christoph. The ability to sync and share between the actual JustinGuitar website and its Practice Assistant and the JustinGuitar Lessons & Songs App is a much requested feature. But, unfortunately, it is not yet available and may not be for some time.
Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

I have been using this website for a week. And this is my first time learning to play guitar. I find this website so informative.

3 Likes

@Zionmark
Welcome to the community :guitar::notes:

1 Like

Hello @Zionmark and welcome.
Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is the app an extra membership compared to the website?

This module practice routine is awesome. I am 50 years old and started to learn about 2 weeks ago. I can feel the progress. After listening to the “Huberman Lab” podcast suggested by Justin, I may have a few insights to the practice routine:

1. Since the 1 min A-D D-A fast chord switch correlates with the high repetition error making, it actually opens the gate for more efficient learning and therefore it might be beneficial to move it up the schedule to be the first exercise, and than chord perfect, anchor finger…

2. It will be helpful to my opinion to put a 1 or 2 minute quite timer after the fast switching exercises, and the 10min song playing. This is for closing the eyes and rest, letting the brain digest. May be with mild white noise during the timer.

3. The 10min song playing correlates very well to the external metronome sync practice Andrew Huberman is talking about which enhances learning.

Anyway thank you very much for helping me make an old dream come true. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey I don’t know if it’s just me but the video seems to cut to a black screen right after the 4:54 mark FYI.

1 Like

So for chord changes, am I counting every chord or each pair?
A->D is that one chord change or two chords I count?

2 Likes

Hi @Kilowatt_123 John, welcome to the community! We count the changes, so A->D is one, A->D->A is two, and so on. I was at this for a while before I realized I regularly gave myself an extra count: I counted each chord I played. No big deal, but might a well do it properly!

2 Likes

No I noticed that too

1 Like

Hi Corban @CG2010, welcome to the community! Fortunately there’s nothing really to see in that bit anyway! I haven’t seen this occur again in any of the lessons I’ve done. :smiley:

1 Like

I love the 1 min change exercise. It’s really usefull and recorded stats and visible improvement are so rewarding!
Nevertheless, I struggle with fluency of my arm movement when playing A and D chords. I move my arm to each beat and strum only on beat one. It’s not difficult to move my forearm, tap my foot, count aloud and change chords on the guitar neck. Everything is fluent. However, once I need to strum the strings, I tend to freeze for a moment in order to place my thumb/pick precisely and avoid the two thickest strings. Any tips how to avoid this and be more fluent without strumming wrong strings?

1 Like

Hi @Migelito, I guess the best way is to slow down as much as you need to be able to make sure you hit the right strings without interrupting the movement of your arm. Once this goes smoothly you can start speeding up, and not looking at the strings. It will come with practice!

2 Likes

Hi! I have a question is it normal for your wrist and forearm to feel sore after you do the practice routine?

1 Like

Hi @Amber16, and welcome to the forum! Hope you’re having fun on your journey!

Your first and forearm shouldn’t feel sore. However, all this is also new to them, so they will have to get used to the exercise. This might create tension and and some soreness, but it should go away. In any case: limit your practice time. Better spread exercising over multiple sessions than cramming it all in one long session.

But you could also be putting too much unnecessary tension on them by gripping the neck too hard, pushing the strings down too hard, bending your wrist too much. Try to be conscious of your way of holding and playing the guitar and aim for a relaxed arm, a straight wrist (or at least with as little flex as possible) and not more pressure than needed. You could try filming yourself while exercising and look afterwards to see what you are really doing, which might not be what you think you are doing :wink:

1 Like

I just started learning last Wednesday. How often should I practice per day and per week? I’m experiencing the normal finger pain but want to progress steadily. By the way, I’m almost 68 and just want to be able to play a few songs eventually.

1 Like

Hello Dana,

Welcome to the community. Terrific place here that will help you along the way.
I’d suggest picking up the guitar every day. As to how long to practice, well that depends on your situation. I probably wouldn’t go more than an hour at a time at this stage. It is much better to pick the guitar up more often, in shorter bursts, than less often in longer bursts
Best of luck. Stick close to Justins lessons, join in, and reach out here anytime. You’ll be rippin’ some tunes in no time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hi Dana @DSC1755, and welcome!

I started playing almost two years ago now, and I sure remember how it felt: many days I wanted to play more, but just couldn’t! Justin recommends absolute beginners practice 20 minutes per day. He suggests breaking that into two 10-minute periods to help with the inevitable finger pain. Also, especially for us older folks, this makes it easier to build strength in our hands while avoiding overuse injuries. Even if you haven’t watched all the lessons yet, have a look at the Grade 1 Module 1 practice routine. There’s good info there!
EDIT - Oops, I just realized this thread is for the practice routine. It might be worth reviewing the text on the website, and maybe even the lesson, to internalize Justin’s guidance. :blush:

And if you’re inclined, introduce yourself over on the “Older guitar students - can “old dogs” learn new tricks?” area of the community. You’ll find well over 200 kindred spirits (including me) over there!

1 Like

Thanks for the response, Shane. I read somewhere yesterday that learning how to play a guitar is a marathon, not a sprint.

1 Like