Module 11 Practice

Wekcome to the forum Tim if you’re not into fingerstyle your time will be better spent practicing things you enjoy but if you ever get into hybrid picking(very useful in rock and metal) you be glad you did a bit of fingerstyle.

True, but only if you have the ears for it!

This is a tough one.

The F is not the issue for me, as I had perfect changes, F to C and F to Am as part of my module 10 practice schedule. I could not describe these now as better than mostly OK, certainly not good. This is why module 10 took me about 9 or so weeks.

Seems hard to get the sus chords ringing properly as seem to mute strings and the finger style, I just keep using the wrong fingers… :neutral_face:

Ever onwards…

Hi,
Realized as simple tune as “Happy Birthday” may not be as easy on Finger style, but after some practice i could play it decent enough. But i have a question, in spite of being able to play the Birthday song, i still do not know the notes used. Is that Okay or do i need to mandatorily know the notes i am playing before moving on to next lessons?..my question is not only about the Birthday song, but for any lead/solo song in general! Thanks to experts who have been patiently answering my novice questions.

@mavericksrinu
Srini, firstly congrats on the learning of Happy Birthday. As for the notes, my opinion is that there is some value in making a note of the notes. As I recall Justin does encourage learning the notes in the open position and teaches the C major scale in the open position. I just can’t recall exactly when. That said, I’d move on to the next lesson and am not sure how important learning the notes really is. Some say more valuable to learn the intervals in the applicable scale.

1 Like

It already works :slight_smile:

Hi petterwinter,
I had the exact same experience. Happy birthday was waaay harder than I anticipated. So was fingerstyle. It took me a very long time to get through this particular module, but I did like it. Finger style is fun for sure difficult as it may be. Thats why Justin in the final video doesn’t call for an entire song in fingerstyle, he tells you to have fun. And as far as Happy birthday is concerned, I don’t think even Nitsuj completely nails it. So having completed this module, i think you are going good on your guitar journey! Have fun!

What’s the best way to practice fingerstyle? I have the app, just use the 6:8 fingerstyle pattern with a 6:8 song on the chords played? This Year’s Love by David Grey for example.

@cckelly21

1 Like

I love this practice, especially the Cmaj Scale Improvisation. This exercise requires me to be more creative and thinking fast, what note should i play next, does that note sounds good , does it still included in the scale and etc.

Sometimes when i’m practicing this Cmaj scale improvisation with a backing track, i still find myself going off beat.And that’s make me realize i should
have to pay the same attention to the backing track, same as i gave attention to yeah, you know the fretboard on my guitar.

Maybe some of you can give me an advice for improvising ?
I appreciate all of your advices, thank you

1 Like

I knew I didn’t want to jump into power chords yet so I started exploring sus chords and working on strumming. I took the first strumming course. Then I began working on 2 songs that are not in Justin’s catalog - Take It On The Run by REO Speedwagon and Can’t Find My Way Home by Blind Faith/Steve Winwood. Both in the Easy catagory. I watched different videos of various guitar players showing how to play them. Observing different techniques, seeing that experienced players develop their own method of playing a song, which still sound good. Opened my eyes and I just love that this module drove me that way since I could care less about finger style. I’ve learned a lot just by stepping out for a bit. Now I’m ready to jump into power chords.

Justin, I just want to say thank you. You are an incredibly thoughtful and methodical teacher. I am astounded by the level of detail and resources you provide to assist in learning an instrument that demands mastering the convergence of so many skills. I love your lessons and would be so lost without them. Thank you, thank you.

Also I thought fingerstyle wasn’t for me, but I’m trying it out on my electric guitar and really enjoying how much more connected I feel to the instrument.

1 Like

Just about feeling ready to move on to module 12 here. A few takes from me personally:

This module took me a lot longer to nail than any previous modules.

F changes are ‘ok’, if I don’t push it past a few minutes at a time. Get there faster every day and mostly ring out. Good enough to move on for now, while keeping it in the daily practice run.

Sus chords were a breaze since I had already learned songs which include most of them. Lucky break.

“Happy birthday” was a hot mess for about 2 weeks. I decided on doing my daily practice set, and an extra 5 minutes of just “happy birthday” somewhere during the day if I found a bit of time. Definitely chop it into chunks and learn separately.

Yesterday “happy birthday” suddenly just clicked. Will consolidate it over the weekend, but I can already tell that fingerstyle is where I’m most passionate. Absolutely loved this module!

1 Like

Hi Ivo and welcome to the Community!!

Yeah you do find in grade 2 the modules take longer to move on from, but you are starting to really explore some more complex things so it’s only to be expected and perfectly “normal”! So long as you’re having fun, and it sounds like you are, that is all that matters :grin:

Whilst you’re here, why not drop a post here to introduce yourself a little bit to everyone, it’s a great place to share your learning and ask for any advice whenever you need it. It’s one of the friendliest places on the web!!

Keep on strumming / finger picking! :wink::guitar:

A short note on the practice routine - In the pre-defined item “L11 Song practice” there’s a comment that obviously does not belong there:

It’s really just a cosmetic thing.
Maybe one of the moderators could pass this on to the web team?
@DavidP @LievenDV @Richard_close2u

Thanks! (And feel free to remove my post once the issue is resolved)

I’ve found the F chord changes tough to get, but over time they’re getting better. My left thumb is painful a lot of times (doc said it is arthritic and there is nothing I can do but splint it but whatever) so I’ve been working it and stretching it. I also tried adding a couple other chords in my switching practice. Not gonna lie, this F barre chord has been a challenge.