Module 2 Practice

any particular reason we don’t do anchor practice with E?

1 Like

Hi Raymond, I seem to recall E formed part of the anchor practicing unless I’m missing something? My routines certainly moved betweel all 3 anchor chords and I’d encourage it.

1 Like

the mod 2 practice assistant only shows a/d anchor practice

1 Like

Ah ok, I would certainly incorporate it if I were you, it’s beneficial :+1:

1 Like

Hi all! I’m using the phone app to practice my songs, I used it for Dance the Night Away and Give Peace a Chance in Module 1 and had a lot of fun with it. In this module, I’d like to do Three Little Birds as you recommend, but I find that the song is not available on the app. Is there any chance of it being added any time soon? I think it’s really a shame that it’s not on there, since you yourself say it’s pretty much the best one for practice at this stage. So I’d really like to practice it on there :wink:

1 Like

Hi Thomas, @TommySVK
Welcome here and have fun. :sunglasses:
Unfortunately, I have read back here repeatedly that 3 little birds have been removed due to copyright problems, they are working hard on it, but no guarantees are given…
I hope you like this
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/bob-marley-three-little-birds-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-101

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

This is the most asked question for beginners and there is no real answer. Everybody learns at their own pace. The biggest factors is how much quality time you put into practicing and how fast your fingers pick up the chord changes.

1 Like

Yo so I am currently learning the guitar using all three chords which is so exciting, but I have noticed in some of the songs there are parts where singular parts are played out. For example, I Walk the Line, by Johnny Cash, has a cool little riff in the beginning of the song. Should I be learning those little tidbits in songs to help practice strumming the right strings, or should I keep playing those three chords all together and wait on that for later lessons? Any input is fine with me. I just want to know what is best to learn for now. Thank you so much and Peace and Love to all!

1 Like

Yeah man, go for it, have fun!

I mean, do your diligence, practice the basics first, then if you have the time and your fingers ain’t hurting, do what you want!
I think aspiring to more advanced stuff is a great motivator!

1 Like

Hey Landen @LandensGeetar, welcome to the community! I’m also a beginner (currently hovering midway through Grade 2), and remember having the same question when I started. I’m not sure there is a single answer - as @rtakeshi13 points out, aspiration is good. I found myself, though, getting bogged down trying to become proficient with skills that are beyond my base skills. The approach I’m currently using is to learn songs at my current skill level, getting as good at them as I can at that time using the skills introduced in the module. Then select one additional embellishment at a time, and practice adding it in. It might be a riff, a bass run, a hammer-on, or a more sophisticated strumming pattern. That usually messes me up, but I can still play the song without it!

Justin will introduce riffs and techniques as exercises in most modules. For me, getting those under my fingers has helped me go back and add in cool stuff to songs I really love.

Of course, we all have different levels of innate talent (mine is quite average, or even less!), and different things come easier to each of us. I think the most important thing is to keep having fun, and that might mean not setting the bar too high at any given moment. If something isn’t fun (or it becomes boring), set it aside and come back to it later.

2 Likes

Thank you guys so much @judi @rtakeshi13, I will definitely practice those techniques! I wish you both the best on your guitar journey!

1 Like

Hello Teach’

What’s the strumming pattern like in the 2nd and 3rd song in this practice session? Is it all downwards strum or can I change?

1 Like

Hi, a quick question .So what exactly does “had a go at playing a song” mean ?

1 Like

In my opinion, it means that you have tried playing a song with - for example - one strum on beat 1. Ideally, you went through the whole song and have not given up somewhere in the middle.

It doesn’t matter how much you need to slow the song down or how good it sounds. All that matters is that you tried playing a song with the chords you know at this stage :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So let’s say with a easy same chord progression throughout the whole song i just need to know how many times i should repeat that chord progression?

1 Like

Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you are really asking. You posted your question in Grade 1, module 2. So are you at the very beginning of your guitar journey? What resources do you use for learning? Do you have the app? Do you use the tabs? Are you relying on the videos exclusively?

There is no one fits all answer, because in songs chord progressions may vary within a verse, may be different in bridges and then again different in choruses. If your aim is having a go at and ideally playing the whole song with a strumming pattern of your choice, you would have to play varying chord progressions.

There are rarer cases, where the same chord progression is played throughout the whole song. In Grade 1, module 6, you might encounter “What’s up” for example. In a case like this, when you can comfortably play the chord progression with a strumming pattern of your choice, you will play the same chord progression until you are at the end of the song.

1 Like

Well i finished beginner modules but i rushed through it.
So i was wondering from the start if a song like “what’s up” wich has the same chord progression throughout the whole song ,if u play it while counting how many times you have to play the chord progression .(btw i am now using beginner app)

1 Like

Then the app will make it easy for you, because the app will continue playing until the song is done :slightly_smiling_face

Otherwise, what helps me when learning a new song is breaking it down into various building bricks (so to say) or sections, remembering the chord progressions per section and then creating a mental map of the structure of the song. This helps “feeling” where I am in the song. After that - still before learning the lyrics - I forget taking a look at chord progressions I might have written down and play along with the original -if I can - this will help me remembering the song intuively anticipating which chord is next. I’m in the consolidation phase of Grade 1 however only, it will have to be seen how well my “mental map” way of learning works with more difficult songs.

2 Likes

Not sure if this will answer your question… it’s not about how many times you play the progression. You should play the entire song! The app is a great place to start. As I recall it’s a simplified version. Still, play the entire song with the app to developyour rhythm and to know when the dynamics of the song change. Then if you want more, I’d encourage you to review Justin’s web lesson on What’s Up to learn about making it more interesting to play. Some of the techniques may be even a bit advanced for where you are now, but it will give you an idea of what’s to come. There are changes in dynamics and in tempo in this song, and it’s good to start thinking of these things from the very start (even if you can’t yet perform them). Also, the strumming pattern in the original song is a bit of a challenge (at least for beginner me!), but really fun to start working on.

Also, What’s Up uses G, Am, and C…none of these chords have been introduced by Module 2. You say you’ve rushed through the beginner modules…I assume you mean Grade 1. I’d suggest you go back and review each of them slowly for consolidation. Playing complete songs is part of that. :smiley:

3 Likes

JokuMuu and judi ,thx for the reply.I am at grade 3, already finished them but rushed through them.I consolidated some module songs with only knowing the chord progression (of the songs with the same chord progression all the way through) and counted them as knowing the whole song .So My method for playing those songs was i just counted how many times the chord progression repeated and played it as many times.

1 Like