Module 2 Practice

Hi Jason.
I have selected various quotes to give an overview and general comment.

You have rushed and reached the end of Grade 3.
That is something we often see in people who come in frustration due to having rushed, to not having made solid and really embedded the absolute essentials that give the bedrock foundation upon which everything else can be built.
My advice to you would be to go back to the practice / consolidation part of Grade 1, swallow a bit of humble pie, and really work there until you have the basics working well. Then work through Grade 2 again. And learn songs, learn songs, learn songs. You have the app. Play along with tens, dozens, scores of songs.

I have written this in several places to several people in a similar situation to you.

Beginner Grade 1 has 75 lessons plus essential consolidation.
Each lesson requires at least one day of practice time but by the end of Grade 1, in Modules 5, 6 and 7, I would say that to do the learning justice and really get solid in the basics, each lesson should respectfully be given several days or a week or more, each of the seven modules probably starting at one week for module 1 up to several weeks for module 7. I would even go so far as to suggest treating each module number as a guide to the weeks required, including learning and playing songs.
Modules 1 to 7 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28 weeks. That is more than six months just there.

Grade 2 has 68 lessons. And as the learning ramps up the technical challenge and skill, each lesson and each module will require extended time to really get to grips with. I would suggest a similar approach.
Modules 8 to 14 = 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 = 77 weeks. That is more than a year. Okay - those cumulative totals are on the very high side. Even if you thought them exaggerated over-estimates and took off 25 weeks, it would still amount to a calendar year. But I would rather encourage taking more time over the opposite of not taking enough time and hitting a brick wall of frustration.

I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

2 Likes

Alright thx allot for the reply Richard i will surely take your advice in consideration while re practicing or " re doing " the grades 1 to 3 . :smiley:

The song practice is ramped up so much in this module.

To be fair, I started practicing 4-5 days ago. I got my chord changes up to 40, was able to somewhat keep up with the song practice (website attached video) and so moved to Module 2.

Enter Module 2 Song Practice.
Three little birds - challenging but I didnt get flustered enough to miss an entire bar or more. I could see its the next level.

Common People - Holy f-sh-!!! This is sooo fast. I couldnt keep up with it. Missed 1-2 bars intentionally to get the rhythm back.

Down on the corner - Perhaps, I was already frustrated and my fingers hurt like hell at this point. The A chords are fine. But, going A A E A or A A D Aā€¦ I couldnt do it at allā€¦ I was never in timeā€¦

I think I should also mention that I didnā€™t know any song from both M1 & M2. However, M1 was not as challenging. Even if we forget the E chord in M2, and just focus on A A D Aā€¦ I currently cant switch a chord in 2 beats.

I know it ll get better with practice & time. I am here to type my frustration and lighten my chest because I was not expecting it to go sooo wrong.

Is there anyway to slow down the song through website? Or is there any free tool on the internet?

Hi @kirincorleone, at the bottom right hand side of the video, youā€™ll see a little cog wheel. Click on it, and you can slow down the video to 75, 50 or 25%. Slow down if necessary, then when comfortable, speed up again.

Itā€™s normal that things get harder as you move on. Donā€™t worry, weā€™ve all been there, and weā€™ve all come through. Take your time, make sure you have things under your belt before moving on and everything will be fine.

Happy strumming!

1 Like

I am committing myself to earning guitar even though I am over 50! I have toyed with it before, but I find your website very helpful in systematically breaking things down into manageable bites. The song choices are nice and varied, but I was wondering if you could include a few Christian praise and worship songs. There is a very large population of people who love to sing to God. Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum Witherly, Justin teaches how to play guitar to all people and religion and politics are not allowed because it causes problems. There are people on youtube who specialize in teaching religious songs Justin isnā€™t one of the.
That being said he is the best teacher on the internet and once you learn the basics you will be able to teach these songs to yourself.

1 Like