Music Theory Live Class I

Having seen what others have posted I’m a bit unsure about these but my progressions are:

Verse - Big G - Cadd9 - Big G - A7sus4.
Chorus - Big G - Cadd9 - Big G - Dadd4/F#

I like the stuck 3 & 4 chords (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-stuck-3-4-chords-b2-801) as they are relatively easy to ply.

4 Likes

Something to be aware of: if you are after chords in the same key, a normal A7 would wrong here.

A7 is a major chord and this seems to be in the key of G Major so, if you were using a standard A7, it wouldn’t be the right chord for the key (although playing chords outside the key is often OK). The correct chord for the key would be Am7.

However, the sus4 replaces the third of the chord which gives the chord it’s major or minor flavour, so A7sus4 is entirely fine to use and, effectively is still in the key of G.

Using sus chords is a little bit of a cheeky hack, and it works well. But, if you want to learn theory, it’s useful to understand that it is a bit of a hack.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the responses.

I’ll take your word for that. :slight_smile: I didn’t have a key in mind (although though it was C) when trying these out. They just seemed to sound OK.

As Justin noted in the class.

Thanks. Had to check the Chords Library for the fingering of that one.

OK. Didn’t know that but the chord sounded good to me.

Why?

Because a sus chord removes the major or minor nature of the chord. It makes the chord “ambivalent” or, maybe, “unopinionated” or perhaps “neutral”.

Basically, the sus chord can be used in place of either a major chord or a minor chord and it will work.

The reason I call it a bit of a hack is because you don’t have to consider whether the chord should be major or minor.

It’s perfectly legitimate to use it but, in the context of an exercise to use chords in a key (assuming that it the exercise), it’s sort of avoiding the issue of knowing which chords fit.

Edit: correction…

It can’t be C as the D would then be a Dm. You are using a Dadd9 which is a major chord, which fits into the key of G.

Note that, if you had used a Dsus4 (for example) chord here, it would have made the key vague as it could have been G or C.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like I better have another go at this then, although the challenge was to write two chord progressions.

I had shown Dadd4/F# with the name coming from the Chord Library but at https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-stuck-3-4-chords-b2-801 it’s a Dadd11/F#, so totally confused now!

If that was the challenge, then job done. I’ve not watched the video yet to know the precise challenge, but the lesson seemed to be chords in a key, so I made an assumption.

Sorry, I said Dadd9 when I should have said Dadd4. I misread on my phone screen.

I have no idea what fingering you are using, so I’m not sure what the proper chord name is. You may be thinking of a Dsus4, perhaps, which is similar fingering, but as soon as you add the F# in the bass note, it’s no longer a sus chord as the F# provides the 3rd of the chord.

The following thread discusses this:

To be honest, this is getting quite a way above where I think your level is currently, so I wouldn’t worry about it. From a theory point of view I would stick to major and minor chords and understanding them first, as they are more fundamental. The “sus” and “add” chords come into “altered” chords which is more advanced, and is probably best tackled when you have the basics under your belt.

Which is, kind of, why I posted a warning above.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. Appreciated.

How true this is and made me chuckle when I read it! :slight_smile: It’s fun exploring chords though.

Will do.

1 Like

I had a read of this but, to be honest, didn’t understand it!

@Stuartw Stuart, I’ve not watched the recording of that live lesson, so not sure what the brief was. Also not sure exactly what was covered in the lesson. So I don’t want to say too much and ‘give the game away’ so to speak.

What I would say, is perhaps guard against getting side-tracked into all the ‘shiny’ topics, such as the topic Keith linked to. I know how enticing it can be, but can easily lead to confusion that has a negative impact on the grasping and applying at the level where you are. In this case maybe that is about the notes and intervals in the major scale and the chords in the key (key being a specific major scale eg C major). As I say I don’t have context, am inferring from the discussion with Keith, and don’t want to go off on a side road.

@DavidP

Not really getting side tracked. It started with me finding a chord (by luck I would add) then trying to find out what it was called, to find that it had two names. A bit odd really. Not too bothered about the theory to be honest. Happy that the chord sounded good and seemed to fit with the progression.

Justin’s First Rule … If it sounds good, it is good :grin:

1 Like

To be clear, there’s nothing stopping you using them. They are cool chords.

But, from a theory point of view, they are really a distraction/confusion for you at this point.

Cheers,

Keith

I saw that you wanted to post chord progressions, so for key of C:
1 5 6 4 C G Am F
1 4 5 4 C F G F
1 6 4 5 C Am F G

these sound good and have been in lessons
Paul Miller

1 Like

Hello and thanks for the previous live session :slight_smile:

Here is my chord progressions:

Verse: G Em C D (I vi IV V)
Chorus: D C Em Am (V IV vi ii)

Looking forward to next session!

Br,
Karl from Finland

4 Likes

I’m wondering something similar. Do we have to have been in attendance at the first live music theory class to post a chord progression, or is it okay if we’re registered in the course and just watched the recording? And will there be an open invite again to the 2nd class?

Thank you.

Mari @Mari63 Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner
In terms of joining the class my understanding is that if you have paid your recurring subscription or a have life time access you should get an email with a zoom link, that’s what I got.
As far as questions go you were asked to submit these in advance, I think these were used to decide on the main topic. It seemed that question were asked at the time which Richard filtered and passed onto Justin, they were not direct to Justin.
I think as this was the first one and a bit of a learning curve things are likely to develop.
Hope that helps
Michael
PS if you don’t have a subscription or life time access I am not sure about submitting a chord progression.

2 Likes

Thanks @MAT1953 . I have a lifetime subscription so I will try to get my chord progressions recorded and will hopefully attend the 2nd class live.

1 Like

Mari @Mari63
Did you not get series of emails for the first class?
Michael

2 Likes

I think so, but I couldn’t swear to it. I wasn’t available for anything then so wasn’t paying a lot of attention: I will pay attention to this thread or a thread on the 2nd class now and check with someone if I don’t get info for the 2nd class. Thanks Michael.

Mari

2 Likes

Michael

Like Mari, I’m a PMT lifer. When the mail went out I didn’t have any questions, so thought I’d see how the Zoom sessions would roll. Just wondering how I get into round two, now my boat’s been floated.

:sunglasses:

1 Like