Music Theory Live Class #I

Hi :heart_eyes:. Justin Sir used Sharps before. So One bar means 1 Strumming?

For our beginner purposes itā€™s easiest to think of one bar being four simple downstrums (quarter notes, 4/4 time)
So in your example it would be strum the D minor chord four times, followed by 4 strums of Bb.
Yes, Justin does refer to sharp chords, but not sharp major keys (F the exception).
This may be jumping the gun for you but here is a picture of the circle of fifths which contains all the keys. You can see that there is no A# or a#.
(edited)

3 Likes

I got plenty out of class 1. Some of it was beyond my current knowledge, which is as it should be.

My progression is in scale of G.

Verse: Am7, Cadd9, G, Bm (all x2)
Chorus: Am, C, G, G (all x2)

Hence verse: II, IV, I, III chorus: II, IV, I, I

Iā€™m strumming whole notes on verse and pumping 1/8 notes on chorus.

If it becomes a song it will be my first, and might be called ā€˜With Me So Far?ā€™

2 Likes

As there are equivalent chords in each of the major keys is the choice of key normally based on the following?
i vocal range of the singer
ii ease of playing the chords
iii other instruments that are in the band eg brass.

Or are there other factors?

With so many using Bm I had to google this one as not noted at https://www.justinguitar.com/chords. Does Justin have a lesson for this? Whatā€™s the attraction?

Finally got around to watching the video and thought the format was great. I was actually surprised that I followed all of it, as I am a bit in and out when it comes to focusing on PMT, still loitering around 4.2 and triad exercises.

My biggest take from this was ā€œsecondary dominantsā€. I was well aware of the pull from 5 to R and 7b to R but had not come across this term. The actually concept audibly was immediately apparent, as Iā€™ve heard it so many times over the years not knowing it had a theoretical moniker. If it sounds good ? The rest is history.

Might have a dabble with the chord prog but my question to @Richard_close2u (hope the move is progressing) and @larynejg (thanks for all you do) is how do I sign up for number two ? Do I need to come up with a question or can folks sit in on the day and ask when invited ?

Great initiative @JustinGuitar Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get the hang of Zoom in good time. :wink:

:sunglasses:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Toby.
Do you recall me stating somewhere that I had more stuff brewing in my mind re: my borrowed chords topic? As an off-shoot / extension to that whe concept? Secondary dominants was the core of that (mentally formulated but not yet written) topic.
One day ā€¦
Not this week ā€¦ Mrs C and I have had no time for anything but packing, deep-cleaning moving out at the old house then deep-cleaning and unpacking at the new.
Phew, itā€™s exhausting.

1 Like

Great Idea for a Theory class Live, Thanks. I think a good idea for the class would be to use a Whiteboard as a teaching tool. I know Iā€™m a visual person I think it would help some with visualizing everything, and of course referencing the guitar.

Yep and Iā€™ve been patiently waiting for the next installments, while biding my time with other challenges. Look forward to you expanding the topic. But get your feet under the table and let the dust settle in the new home first. Iā€™ll be waiting. Hope the move is going well.
:sunglasses:

Yes, all of those things, plus it could also be the key the songwriter originally used, which probably depends on their instrument and playing skill.

For instance, a lot of songs written by guitar players will use open ā€œcowboyā€ chords because they are naturally easy to play on guitar.

But, ultimately, you can move a song to any other key to suit the singer or other instruments.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith.

So I presume many songs written on guitar will be in C or G to avoid the need for barre chords (except F and Bm) whereas those written on piano will have a wider range of keys.

Cheers,
Dave.

1 Like

Bm is often the first minor barre chord people learn because itā€™s used in many songs in the key of G major, A major or D major.

2 Likes

Having seen what others have posted Iā€™m a bit unsure about these but my progressions are:

Verse - Big G - Cadd9 - Big G - A7sus4.
Chorus - Big G - Cadd9 - Big G - Dadd4/F#

I like the stuck 3 & 4 chords (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-stuck-3-4-chords-b2-801) as they are relatively easy to ply.

4 Likes

Something to be aware of: if you are after chords in the same key, a normal A7 would wrong here.

A7 is a major chord and this seems to be in the key of G Major so, if you were using a standard A7, it wouldnā€™t be the right chord for the key (although playing chords outside the key is often OK). The correct chord for the key would be Am7.

However, the sus4 replaces the third of the chord which gives the chord itā€™s major or minor flavour, so A7sus4 is entirely fine to use and, effectively is still in the key of G.

Using sus chords is a little bit of a cheeky hack, and it works well. But, if you want to learn theory, itā€™s useful to understand that it is a bit of a hack.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the responses.

Iā€™ll take your word for that. :slight_smile: I didnā€™t have a key in mind (although though it was C) when trying these out. They just seemed to sound OK.

As Justin noted in the class.

Thanks. Had to check the Chords Library for the fingering of that one.

OK. Didnā€™t know that but the chord sounded good to me.

Why?

Because a sus chord removes the major or minor nature of the chord. It makes the chord ā€œambivalentā€ or, maybe, ā€œunopinionatedā€ or perhaps ā€œneutralā€.

Basically, the sus chord can be used in place of either a major chord or a minor chord and it will work.

The reason I call it a bit of a hack is because you donā€™t have to consider whether the chord should be major or minor.

Itā€™s perfectly legitimate to use it but, in the context of an exercise to use chords in a key (assuming that it the exercise), itā€™s sort of avoiding the issue of knowing which chords fit.

Edit: correctionā€¦

It canā€™t be C as the D would then be a Dm. You are using a Dadd9 which is a major chord, which fits into the key of G.

Note that, if you had used a Dsus4 (for example) chord here, it would have made the key vague as it could have been G or C.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like I better have another go at this then, although the challenge was to write two chord progressions.

I had shown Dadd4/F# with the name coming from the Chord Library but at https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-stuck-3-4-chords-b2-801 itā€™s a Dadd11/F#, so totally confused now!

If that was the challenge, then job done. Iā€™ve not watched the video yet to know the precise challenge, but the lesson seemed to be chords in a key, so I made an assumption.

Sorry, I said Dadd9 when I should have said Dadd4. I misread on my phone screen.

I have no idea what fingering you are using, so Iā€™m not sure what the proper chord name is. You may be thinking of a Dsus4, perhaps, which is similar fingering, but as soon as you add the F# in the bass note, itā€™s no longer a sus chord as the F# provides the 3rd of the chord.

The following thread discusses this:

To be honest, this is getting quite a way above where I think your level is currently, so I wouldnā€™t worry about it. From a theory point of view I would stick to major and minor chords and understanding them first, as they are more fundamental. The ā€œsusā€ and ā€œaddā€ chords come into ā€œalteredā€ chords which is more advanced, and is probably best tackled when you have the basics under your belt.

Which is, kind of, why I posted a warning above.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. Appreciated.

How true this is and made me chuckle when I read it! :slight_smile: Itā€™s fun exploring chords though.

Will do.

1 Like

I had a read of this but, to be honest, didnā€™t understand it!