Music Theory Live Class I

@brianlarsen @sairfingers thanks for the encouragment, it’s much appreciated :blush: It’s not my intention to make it evolve at the moment as I want to avoid to feel overwhelmed with things to do and practice, but I take my eyes and ears open to any input that could remind me “oh! my chord progressions”!

2 Likes

Hello! I think I made this more complicated than I needed to. I have some software called Mix Pad that will accept an input from my amp and create a MIDI file. I also have Guitar Pro 8. I thought I could import the MIDI file I had created into Guitar Pro and create a score, but Guitar Pro didn’t recognize the MIDI. It says I should be able to directly input to Guitar Pro , but I either have something set up wrong or don’t have the correct equipment. That’s a future project. I suppose I could make a video, but no. So I manually create a score in Guitar Pro. Learned a bunch of stuff doing that which is good. It’s in A. Kind of an 8 bar blues. Three verses and 2 choruses.

Intro: A C#m Bm D

Verse: A A D A A E D A

Bridge: Bm C#m

Chorus: D D E E

It needs work if I’m going to take it further. Anyway, it was fun.

Thanks

The laughs on me. After I wrote this I started thinking about where I heard about Guitar Pro. Well, a while ago I had watched a Justin video and bought it. The video cleared up a lot of questions I had when I watched it last night. Damn I’m a dummy sometimes. Maybe I need to write some lyrics with the phrase, “Justin to the rescue, Justin to the rescue again.”

Have a great day and be safe.

4 Likes

Hi folks …

2 Likes

Hi Richard,
I had the email link for the first class.
Does that mean I’ll automatically get the others or do I have to register for each one now as they come up?
Thanks
Ruaridh

That’s a question for @larynejg

NEWS!

Hey everyone! Please register to ATTEND the Music Theory Live Classes here from now on. Once you do it, you’ll receive an email with the Zoom link if you’re registered in our mailing list.

Could someone explain the time to me? It says 15:30 UTC-5. I thought Britain was on UTC so I’m not following. I’m in Eastern Standard Time starting tomorrow, which is 5 hrs behind UTC, so does that mean start time for me is 15:30, or 10:30? (I have a doctor’s appt 10:20 so I’m hoping for 15:30!)

Thanks

Mari

1 Like

You should be good for 15:30 Mari.

1 Like

Hi @Mari63 I am UTC (0) and my email says 20:30, so it would be 15:50 for you. Hope that helps

Tony

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @TonyHS thank you both! I understand now it’s giving me MY time! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can we have a news section on the main JG website?

Yeah, 1530 UTC-5 is a pretty meaningless way to specify time. Better to just give the UTC time and let everyone convert that to their local time.

I disagree. It’s a very good way of giving the time.

When I looked, I had to take a second glance to realise that it was my local time.

But that is what it is: my local time, as @Stuartw says. For me it says UTC+8 which I recognise as my local time.

That is all the info I need to know to understand when it’s happening.

For you it may something different, but it will precisely explain what time it is for you, assuming your timezone settings are accurate. And if they aren’t, it’s still everything you need to understand what time it is scheduled for.

Cheers

Keith

1 Like

Here are my chord progressions in th e key of A:
verses: A F#m Bm E, repeat a couple of times
the “chorusy” part is C#m F#m C#m F#m D E then swing around back to A in the verse line

I was skeptical that I could come up with something like this but have to admit, I had a lot of fun with this. I’m working during the next class, but will definitely watch it
later. You hinted that we will have more fun with our songs and I can’t wait to see what’s next! Thanks!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Firstly…great class…definitely a supplement to the PMT course on the website, not a replacement for it. My chord prog is:

I put a video up on U Tube as this seemed complicated to write out!!!

Looking forward to the next class

5 Likes

Really enjoyed getting into a creative flow thanks to this class.

Here’s are my two progressions in the key of C:
Verse: | Cmaj7 | Am7 | F Fm | C |
Chorus: | Gm | F | C | C |

Looking forward to what’s next!

5 Likes

PMT Challenge 1

Key: C
Verse:
| C G | F C | Am | G |
| F G | Am Dm | C G | C |

Chorus:
| Am | Em | Am | G|
| Dm | Am | F | G |

2 Likes

Here are my chord progressions for the challenge. They come from my one and only attempt at songwriting so far.

Verse-
G-C-Bmin-D

Chorus-
C-Amin (x3)
C-D-G.

Thanks Justin and staff for the live class! I didn’t get to attend live but I got a lot out of watching the recording. I’m planning on attending the next session.

Kevin

Well … I suppose I had better stick my oar in for all of you lovely folk.

:blush:

Key of A = I → ii → IV → I

Key of F = I → iii → IV → V → I

Key of D = I → iii → vi → ii → I → iii → vi → I

Verse in key of B minor = i → iv → v → VI

Chorus in key of D major = I → V → ii → V

You modulate from relative minor to (verse) relative major (chorus).

| ii | V | I | IV |

| ii | V | I | IV |

| IV | iv | I | iii | vi | iii |

All the chords are diatonic to the key of C apart from your borrowed Fm but you’re not really emphasising C as home base, although on the two occasions it appears you do have the dominant pushing towards it.

Verse = I – IV – I – IV – I – IV – I - V

Chorus = Vadd11 – Ivadd9 – I – ii – Ivadd9 – I

Verse = key of E minor = i – III – iv – I

Chorus = key of A minor = I – III – IV – I (D is a borrowed chord)

Verse = key of G major = I - iii - ii - I

Chorus = key of E minor = i - v - i - v - i - v - iv – III

You modulate from relative major to (verse) relative minor (chorus).

Key of A major = I – Imaj7 – I7 – IV – Ivsus4 – IV

Key of C major = Iadd9 – V - Iadd9 – V Iadd9 – V

Analysing the E chord is tricky … depending on where it leads to. If it heads back to A it is operating as a dominant V transition chord to trigger the modulation. The slide of the E shape up one fret makes a chord ambiguous to name.

For the purposes of the ‘homework’ yes.

Ps Your move in the first section (I major à I maj7 à I7 à IV is a very common move. It is called a line cliché. Not because it is overused, that is just the terminology applied to it. In different keys, listen to the first four chords in The Beatles – Something and Bob Dylan – Simple Twist Of Fate

Verse = key of Bb major = VI – i

Chorus = key of G minor = I – v – VI – VII

You modulate from relative major (verse) to relative minor (chorus).

Without hearing it, I would call all of that the key of A minor.

Verse = i7 – IIIadd9 – VII - ii

Chorus = i – III – VII – VII

Verse = key of G = I – IVadd9 – I – ii7sus4

Chorus = key of G = I – Ivadd9 – I - Vadd11

All good. Chord progressions are often written using Roman numerals. I use upper case for major chords and lower case for minor chords. Justin uses all upper case.

All good for the verse. You may have modulated away from the key of G major for the chorus to the relative minor (E minor). It is difficult to know without hearing it.

3 Likes