Music Theory Live Class #I

#PMT Challenge 1 Chord Progressions Key of C

Verse
C Am F G

Chorus
Dm G Dm G Dm G C

Iā€™ve modified my earlier chord progression in G to get more ā€˜movementā€™ and apply some of the concepts from class2.

A basic amp-to-iphone recording, appreciate any and all feedback!:

My new progression is:

|G |G6 |Em |Em7 |
|Am |Asus4 |Bm |C |
|Csus2 |Em |Am |D |

Chorus:
|G Em |Am D7|G Em|Am D7| 3x

I like this version more than several earlier attempts but am not very satisfied with the Bm to C to CSus2 portion. I tried to get the ā€˜movementā€™ and ā€˜melody partā€™ to ring out more clearly by playing the G6 without the pinky on the high E (string 1) and the Em7 with pinky on the ā€˜Dā€™ on string 2.

While working on this, I wound up discovering how different voicings, inversions and instruments can influence musical choicesā€¦ I first tried working out the progression on a piano. I am not great at piano, and my son offered to help me. He got a lot more ā€˜movementā€™ out of a very similar progression:

|G |G6 |Em |Em7 |
|Am |Asus4 |A5 |D |
|F#dim |F |Am |D |

by using inversions that added a lot more ā€˜spiceā€™, for lack of a better word. wBut when I tried the same chords on guitar, it didnā€™t sound good - I couldnā€™t play the G to G6 with a D in the base, for example. I will try to upload a recording of the piano version if I can get him to play it again :slight_smile:

When reading music/tab is there a way from the notes that we could tell the strumming pattern or picking pattern that would work best? I know itā€™s depends on the song and a few other things but didnā€™t know if there was a general rule or not.

Just uploaded a revised arrangement of my progression, making it a little simpler.
When working on the exercise for Class 2 I realised Iā€™d boxed myself into a corner, by adding some semblance of a strumming pattern. This more basic framework gives me some scope for exploring the melody. I can then determine where the rhythm goes based on melody, lyrics or both. :thinking:

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/pmt-live-project

Verse Am Am Em Em x 2
Link/Bridge Am C Em Em x 2
Verse Am Am Em Em x 2
Pre Chorus Am C Em Em x 2
Chorus G Dm Am Am x
Outro Am to fade

Contemplating one cycle of Chorus as an Intro. :hole: :rabbit2:

Copyright : Madmanā€™s Music Studios Normandy :sunglasses:

1 Like

Agreed that the simpler framework will make it easier to develop a melody line. Sounding dark and ominous; be interesting to see what direction you go from here!

2 Likes

Very nice Tobyā€¦it sounds kind of mystical. While listening I also happened to think it would be a perfect intro for some heavy metal songā€¦I donā€™t know why I expected a distorted electric guitar to burst in and start rocking :guitar::blush::thinking:ā€¦just my feeling!

The question is: what came first, the egg or the chicken? :chicken::egg::hatching_chick:

1 Like

A very good point Silva, I think there a multitude of approaches and thereā€™s no right or wrong.

As to the progression, yes mystical and moody. So its good youā€™re picking up on that. I can definitely hear some pimping power chords as a potential development but one step at a time. :sunglasses:

Sounds like I am pushing the right buttons. As to the direction, I am still looking for the map !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@brianlarsen :wink::pray::blush::grin: