Music Theory Live Class #I

Thanks Mark.
Are you able / willing to do a short of guitar only with one verse and one chorus?

Sure.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u Iā€™m glad you asked me to record my chord progressions, because I found an error. :thinking:

The sequence details are below.

The Intro, Chorus, & Bridge is: IV I II V7 I (C, G, Am, D7, C)

The verse is: I II V7 I IV I II V7 I (G, Am, D7, G, C, G, Am, G)

I play it finger style and use a number of ā€˜Accent notesā€™ that modify the chords.
I with I sus4 (Gsus4)
II with II sus4 (Asus4)
V7 with V (D)
IV with IV9 (C9)

Theory Class 1 - Chord progressions

3 Likes

:grin::pray: @Richard_close2u

As my first attempt wasnā€™t quite right this my 2nd go at this. So mu chord progressions which I think are in the key of G:

Verse - C - G - D - Am
Chorus - C - G - D - Em

3 Likes

Here is an 8 bar verse, and an 8 bar chorus, key of A. Justin talked about making some differences between the 2 sections, perhaps in how long each chord is played for. Most of the chords in this progression are played for 1 bar each, so thereā€™s no real difference there. I made the difference in a bit of a change up for the strumming patterns in the verse and then the chorus, and in choosing chord voicings higher up the fretboard for the first half of the verse.

I intentionally did not look at anyone elseā€™s chord progressions, or listen to the couple of videos posted, until after I recorded mine. I therefore found it quite interesting that the beginning of mine and @Uninvitedguest are somewhat similar, although not typical 1-4-5 (etc) progressions.

Verse:
Aadd9 {x 0 7 6 0 0}
A Major 9 {x 0 6 6 0 0}
A9 {x 0 5 6 0 0}
Dadd9 {x x 0 7 7 0}
Gm {3 5 5 3 3 3}
D {x x 0 2 3 2}
A {x 0 2 2 2 0} E {0 2 2 1 0 0}
A {x 0 2 2 2 0}

Chorus:
F#m {2 4 4 2 2 2}
D {x x 0 2 3 2}
E {0 2 2 1 0 0}
A {x 0 2 2 2 0}
Bm {2 2 4 4 3 2}
F#m {2 4 4 2 2 2}
E {0 2 2 1 0 0} E7 {0 2 2 1 3 0}
Aadd9 {x 0 7 6 0 0}

The video lesson was fantastic, I learned a lot about secondary dominant chords in particular. I canā€™t figure out why the Gm seems to make sense in the progression though.

Mari

9 Likes

:smiley: Completely the same here ā€¦ I have already done the entire course (and Iā€™m already forgetting a lot :woozy_face:) and I am playing a lot with chords in the keyand show sometimes to others who pick up the guitar or used to play and most of them donā€™t know the diatonic chords and those faces are priceless and I thought I would skip this lesson ā€¦
But yesterday I took a look and I was completely forgotten this theoretical knowledge. forgotten (if it had already been learned that way? probably yes)

Wishing everyone a lot of fun :smiley: :sunglasses: :wave:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

We all know if you donā€™t practice you lose the skill, but for some reason, we forget that applies to mental processes as well.
The amount of times my kids asked me if I could explain something in science/maths (or indeed anything) and I would say: 'Oh, yeah I know all about that!'- realising I used to :roll_eyes: :rofl:

4 Likes

:grin:

The story of my life :see_no_evil: :roll_eyes:ā€¦ not with children, but if I had a penny for every time ā€¦ I could buy some nice guitars ā€¦ I think these refresher curses are a great idea and for the people who have it havenā€™t done yet whether the people working on it really are a great idea and with the help lines that Justin has and Richard who passes on the questions, well set up and a good design for a long future ā€¦ only a little start computer/image/interferences errors (I found) :sunglasses: :clap:

Edit: what is wrong with me?? :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: I keep writing ā€˜cursesā€™ a normal Dutch word that for people who are slightly dyslexic (sounds nicer than very bad with grammar) COURSE ā€¦course Roger course or cursusā€¦ not curse :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I may have missed it but thought that the homework was to show two chord progressions. Canā€™t recall anything about numbers of bars or recording.

Youā€™re probably right, Stewart, but the exercise was to write the chord progression for a verse and a chorus. Weā€™re supposed to use our guitars and ears to find out what sounds good (using the knowledge of chords in a key to guide us).
You canā€™t do that without deciding how many bars each chord is.
CCCG and CGGG are both CG progressions but very different.
With no other info, most of us will just presume itā€™s one bar per chord if there are multiples of four chords written down.

3 Likes

Correct, and that is what I did (twice actually).

I did & they sounded OK to me.

Why? The challenge as to post progressions for chorus & verse. Nothing about numbers of bars as far as I can recall as thatā€™s getting into song writing.

Fair enough, Stuart, and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that.
Weā€™re all learn in different ways. Thatā€™s one of the great things about this site. It caters for many approaches as well as abilities :grinning:
However, if you are going to use the theory we are learning in any practical way, at some stage you will be confronted with the question of how many bars each of these chords are played for.
Similarly, it makes sense to play (and therefore also record) what we create and thatā€™s all people are doing here. Itā€™s not homework like in school where we have to hand in a project. Itā€™s a tool and a spur to help us move forward on our guitar journey :grinning:

1 Like

The words ā€˜theoryā€™ and ā€˜classā€™ send shivers down my spine. But what youā€™re all doing here sounds and looks interesting. And the dark winter nights approach.
Iā€™d have to subscribe to the theory course to participate of course. Would I be able to catch up? The subscription lasts a year. Are there things you can print out/save for future reference after the year is up? Will the videos be available to me after the subscription runs out? I suspect not. If I bought a book Iā€™d have it forever.
Thanks guys.

1 Like

Morning Gordon,
Tbh, Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s much in the lessons that is not easily accessible elsewhere on the course or the web. I was sceptical that this was going to simply be a way of ā€˜interacting with the communityā€™ but regurgitating content we already have. In a way it is, but simply by joining in, means you have to focus on it and different areas are brought together giving it context.
Youā€™d have no problem ā€˜catching upā€™.
The simple answer to your value question is: sign up for a month and see if you like it. You can scan through the whole course and see whatā€™s in it and how long itā€™s worth keeping it for.
I signed up years ago and havenā€™t touched it for ages, but left my subscription going as itā€™s one way of supporting J. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Stuartw

Hi Stuart, you can have any number of bars you want in your chord progressions. My intent was not to say you had to have any particular number of bars in each section, just how many were in mine: 8, in both the verse progression and the chorus projection.

I reviewed the video again and Justin does talk about the number of bars in a couple of places, essentially suggesting but not mandating the number of bars in our chord progressions.

At ~ 12:22, question re difference between chord progression and chord family. (Note: the following is not verbatim from the video.), Justin answers that a chord progression is a sequence of chords that are used to construct a song usually. Theyā€™re very commonly 4 or 8 bars long, sometimes 12 or 16, sometimes an odder number. The majority of the time itā€™s 4 bars or 8 bars.

At 1:06:31 Justin says ā€˜like I said it could be a 4 bar chord progression, or it could be an 8 bar chord progression. If you want to keep it simple just stick with a 4 bar oneā€™.

At 1:07:48 Justin makes a reference to ā€˜the 4 barsā€™

Justin does talk about the number of bars, but as I noted above he doesnā€™t mandate a specific requirement.

Re recording your chord progression, a couple others had done so, although most simply posted their progressions. I enjoyed listening to the posts of people playing their chord progressions, so I decided to record mine as well.

Mari

Thought Iā€™d share a progression I knocked up a few weeks back to practice one of the fingerstyle patterns Iā€™ve been working on. Iā€™d not really analysed it before today but just laid down a rather melancholy muse, with lots of minor chords.

I now see it is modally A Aeolian (mm I think :thinking: ). So chord wise the choice would be : Am Bdim C Dm Em F G.

I donā€™t recall the remit being limited to the Major scale, so hope Iā€™ve not overstepped the mark going down the Mode :rabbit: :hole:

The progression can be broken down into 2 verses and a chorus.

V1 Am Am Em Em (i i V V) x 2
V2 Am C Em Em (i III V V) x 2
C. G Dm Am Am (VII iv i i) x 2

Have yet to have a clean run at recording this piece, so for now Iā€™ve exported the GuitarPro audio (Key and Drum midi added to Reaper project) Gtr is Clean Electric but I am currently playing this on acoustic.

4 Likes

Hey there, I really enjoyed the live class and tried to do my homework - even inserted some secondary dominants :wink:

Key G major
Verse:
|G - - B7|Em - - E7|Am - - A7 | D - - -|
Chorus:
|D7 - - -|G - G7 - |C - - D7|G - - -|

Now I have to get back to practising and look forward to the next live class :smile:

3 Likes

Hehe, I donā€™t even have to listen or play that to know that sounds ace with all those minors :wink:
I donā€™t recall him saying anything about having to be major (although that was what he was talking about)

1 Like

Just dropped a recording in the-madmans-learning-log in reference to my post above, if anyone is interested. :sunglasses: