Muting Strings Deliberately

In this lesson, explore how to mute unwanted string when playing guitar and elevate the sound of your scales!

View the full lesson at Muting Strings Deliberately | JustinGuitar

A couple of months ago, when I was learning scales, it annoyed me that the sound was all over the place. Thanks, Justin, I’ll incorporate this into my routine.

What is the relevance of the E minor pentatonic scale as opposed to any other scale, pentatonic or diatonic.

It’s an easy scale to start with as it’s in the open position.

Aha, thank you. I thought there was some kind of pentatonic pattern you could apply to any note and create a pentatonic scale. I was doing that on a baritone ukulele and it was fun because you can’t play a “wrong” note… Like, say, in G, you might play E,F or F,G and wish you hadn’t.

There is 5 patterns and each pattern has a major and minor
version that you can apply.

In addition to answers already given, it cennects brilliantly with learning some of Wish You Were Here.
Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

This is by far the hardest thing we have learnt so far. My plan is just to nail one string or note at a time before moving on.

1 Like

Muting isn’t easy indeed and the gain you get from the effort does not shine through like in nailign a chord grip

1 Like

I got serious about thumb muting when I got tired of hearing the open E string ringing, and couldn’t make ring finger muting work with the C chord.

Just starting to see progress after a couple of weeks, but liking what I am hearing so far.

But it’s been a major change in my technique. My semi-classical-with-strap sitting position - which works beautifully with thumb at the back of the neck - is not so good with thumb in the muting position.

Not only is my hand position changing, but I’m having to experiment with neck angle, and a more casual sitting position - which I’ve always hated up till now.

But I’m paying attention and perceiving things in a new way, and it’s starting to pay off.

1 Like

Thank you, this was a great lesson. Good stuff to really start thinking about and working on as I play. When I lift my fingers off a string, I get some ringing on that same string- should I use the fretting hand or picking hand to try to mute this, or is that more a matter of changing how I am pressing down on the strings themselves?

@BagleTime

There’s that and how you lift the fingers off the strings, Sarah. If you lift off vigorously and at an angle then you are beginning to execute a leader guitar technique called a flick-off or pull-off. So just a matter of experimentation and practice.

How do you mute with your picking hand if you don’t use a pick (classical guitar)?