My cover of Celluloid Heroes by Ray Davies

Hi, this is a song I have always enjoyed, so too with many of Ray Davies songs. Also being a fan of Erving Goffman, the subject is similar.
I attempted to finger pick initially but went for a pick as you can hear. Some iffy bits with F#m and Bm, but I think for the most part it is ok. Please let me know what you think, any and all comments are welcome

11 Likes

Hi Mal,
That sounded really good. Very enjoyable listen. Liked your picked melody lines ?piano in original. Bit beyond my critical eye to offer anything constructive. I looked closely and to me any iffy bits hardly detectable and you didn’t appear to lose any composure. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Rudolph Valentino not very politically correct for this day and age, hey.
Irving Goffman? way over my head.
Thanks for sharing. Must check out some more Ray Davies, I am only familiar with his well known songs.
Best wishes,
Alan

thats amazing!

1 Like

Hi Alan, thank you. Yes it is piano in the original. Rudolf Valentino, yes but the lyrics are what they are, and Ray Davies is too good a composer for me to alter his lyrics.
Most things, and there are many by Ray Davies are worth a listen. One of my favourites is an album ‘Return to Waterloo’, and of course ‘Village Green Preservation Society’.

1 Like

Fantastic Mal, really solid picking. Clean and accurate.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, and I know it’s harder with the pick ( which is one reason I shy away from it), you could add some dynamic to the amplitude (both singing and picking) it would add an extra dimension.

Feel free to ignore my unqualified assessment, your head and shoulders in front :star_struck:.

Are you out and about in the wilds yet?

Hi Dave, thank you for that. Nothing to ignore here. Dynamics are something that tends to be forgotten sometimes, bad enough just setting up the equipment to record. I will bare it in mind. :smiley:

1 Like

Mal, that is some pretty solid playing there to play in that picked finger-style way with all the barre chords and maintain it as fluent and clean throughout as you did.

My sense, and just a feeling mind you, is that it is not quite up to your usual standard. Just didn’t have quite the same relaxed feel and vibe as your recordings usually do. Maybe it is the dynamics as Dave mentioned? Maybe it is just a song you’ve recently learned and haven’t played enough yet to achieve your usual vibe?

You got me on “Irving Goffman” had to google to try and get what you were talking about. That didn’t help. Google wasn’t even sure if it is Irving or Erving :rofl:

Hi David, thank you for the feedback. I have been working on this song for some time and is still a work in progress, also a lot of lyrics to contend with. That is possibly why I may seem a little less laid back, good point though.
Erving Goffman is how it is spelt, and the book, 'The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. Amazon will probably provide some info should they have the book. I realise I spelt it incorrectly in the OP.

1 Like

Hi @Malz
The guitar performance is very good on this track, like you said “a bit iffy” in parts, but really only slightly, if I wasn’t listening for mistakes I probably wouldn’t pick them up. Your singing is good, but I think your vocals would sound better if you sang closer to the mic. I can’t quite make out how you are recording, but I think you are using a condenser mic to record your guitar and vocal? If you have a vocal mic your result will be much better just because you will get a better balance between the guitar and vocals.
Really I am nitpicking, trying to offer something when in reality, this is very very good. A lot to remember as well!
Cheers

Hi Michael, thanks for the feedback.
The vox are through a condenser, the guitar through a Scarlet. A good point though. I still have to experiment more. One problem is that doing so I may mess things up for the OMs, which the past two experiences have shown. I am very much a learner with recording techniques and still have a long way to go. Pleased you enjoyed it. :smiley:

Yes I definitely enjoyed it! :+1:

Very nice Malz! A favorite of mine and your rendition was good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Very nice as always Mal! :sunglasses:

Thank you Patrick, pleased you enjoyed my version. :smiley:

Thank you Eddie. :smiley:

Bravo Mal :exclamation: Sounds great :exclamation:

Thank you Luc, pleased you enjoyed the song. :smiley:

Hi Mal,
If this is a little work in process I’m curious to see what it will be in the future…because I really only have this to say…
:sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Greetings…

Bedankt Rogier, pleased you enjoyed my efforts. I always feel like things are a work in progress, however they sound at the time. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Mal, after a very busy day (we had a kiddy birthday party in our house :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::see_no_evil:), listening to your song was exactly what I needed to relax :blush:.
Very enjoyable, as always. Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.