My cover of Hotel California

I’ve been learning guitar five years this November so I thought I would upload my first video of my playing. This is my cover of Hotel California by The Eagles. It still needs work but this is how far I got with it. Thank you to Justin Guitar for helping me learn!

42 Likes

Smooth and steady flow;
controlled but relaxed demeanor
Controlled movements
quite extensive lead work already!

This looks good and I’d say you’re up for a new challenge to takes this to new level.
This is a solid base to build upon.

trying a fingerpicking pattern on those chord shapes you play?
Trying a different strumming pattern?
a bit ironing out the lead part in the details. the structure is already fine!

Cool guitar btw, I have never seen a pink PRS before :smiley:

That was really cool. Thank you for sharing Susan. I liked the solo a lot. The rhythm parts looked good, but I wished I could hear your guitar a bit clearer in the mix. Maybe something to think about for your next recording. Do keep them coming!

Bravo, Susan, what a fantastic AVOYP debut.

Rhythm section looks really fluent, the strumming and chord changes. \

And you can be well satisfied with your progress on the solo. I noticed how relaxed your fingers were, nothing looking stiff or flying about.

Only suggestion I can make is to look at Justin’s lessons on string bending. Always hard to judge on a video, but maybe your technique is more pushing the strings up with finger movement rather than the hand pivoting.

Like Tosh, I think you should turn up the volume of the guitar next time round, we really want to hear you play loud and proud!

Hi Susan,
What a first video :scream: :partying_face::sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I’m so glad that I’m probably one of the few who saw you play your first :smiley: because I can’t imagine that the D Henley Bots would let you get away with this (copyright :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grimacing: )… I saw the pleasure/joy radiating from you, at least that’s how it came across to me :smiley:…super well done :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Great video and nicely done :+1:

Amazing Susan!!! :raised_hands:t2:
Great flow and great sound… you killed it on the solo!
Aggree with Rogier, This was so good that it will never fly (pun intended :rofl:) with The Eagles copyrights very long…

Well done and well played Susan!! Looking forward to the next.
Cool guitar by the way :grin:

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting and that was an excellent way to do one. The playing on both the strumming and solos were great. Very nice and relaxed.

Just crack up that volume for future recordings Susan.

Hi Susan, Great AVOYP really enjoyed that :clap: and glad I got to watch it :+1:
A

Terrific debut AVoYP Susan. Good work on the iconic solo too. The others have raised some good points.
Well done. I look forward to more from you.

Really good Susan. I enjoyed listening to that.
You’ve got that song covered very well and your solo was very spot on from my memory of this song. I don’t play that song, but that solo looks pretty hard to play. Great job and well done.
Thanks for sharing that.

Wow :exclamation: That was realy good :exclamation: Thank you Susan. Very inspiring :pray: :pray: :pray:

Really good, timing is great and I always think that’s half the battle. Look forward to a few more videos!

Great first video Susan and 5 years well spent as you have picked up some great skills. Nice work :sunglasses:

1 Like

Terrific work Susan!

You were fingerpicking the solo? I’ve never seen this particular solo done like that - just curious - do you find it more comfortable than using a pick? Don Felder meets Mark Knopfler!

Kudos Susan! It’s great to see you having so much fun with playing.

As a curiosity - have you been following the JG courses over the last 5 years? It’s sometimes hard to imagine how this calibre of playing tallies up against the course structure and grades. I’m seeing quite the selection of guitars you’ve collected in that time ;0)

Terrific debut, Susan! :smiley: :clap:

Rhythm parts were solid, smooth and with a relaxed vibe. Lead work was really well done, too! You’ve come a long way in the past 5 years! :+1:

I’d also suggest to turn up the volume of the guitar in the mix a little. You play so well, we also wanna hear it load an clear. :smiley:

Hope this one stays up a while on YT, at least I’m happy to have heard it. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the next one. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Hello Susan, that was really really good!! I liked especially the soft thumb strumming and the final solo was terrific! And…I think
you had a little hicup about 1.50, but I didn’t detect it because I heard it, but because you smiled and I always smile as well when I have hicups :face_with_hand_over_mouth::blush: That was great to watch and listen, very smooth and enjoyable…congratulations!

I’m completely blown away by everyone’s comments, thank you so much! It took me a massive amount of courage to share my playing and it’s made me so happy that people liked it.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback and I will try the things you suggest. Thank you for liking my guitar. I waited 14 months for it, it’s my favourite guitar!

1 Like