My cover of “If You Could Read My Mind” by Gordon Lightfoot

Absolutely terrific Mike, can only begin to imagine how you can sing so fluidly and strongly whilst playing fingerstyle. I completely understand the anxiety around playing live, but honestly, that came across as effortless - you nailed it!

Hi @Gonetoearth
Thank for the kind words, unfortunately the anxiety is very real, I went to an open mic last night and was last on, I arrived at 7pm and by 10pm I’d just had enough and left without playing, just couldn’t go through with it.
Maybe next time.
Cheers

Hi Mike, I can absolutely empathise with you about the anxiety, I’m a sufferer as well - my behaviour would be exactly as yours …

Mike, that was beautiful, thanks for sharing.

After 50 years the song still chokes me up when I hear it. I’m newly inspired to move it up on my playlist.

I noticed you had the capo on the second fret. How did you decide that? I have a capo but don’t really understand how to use it.

1 Like

@sticktothemuse
Thank you!
A capo is a tool you can use to change the pitch of the open strings on a guitar, the big benefit is that you can play the standard “open chords” like C ,E, A G and so on, higher up the guitar, and this means you can play the open chords in a different key. So if I have the cap on the second fret and play a G chord shape, I am actually playing an A chord. @Richard_close2u might be able to explain it better.
For me the choice is important because if I played this song without a capo, it would be a bit too low for me to sing properly. So you can use the capo to play songs using open chords in your best singing register.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike. I guess I just need to play around with it and figure it out. Since I don’t sing….yet, the capo hasn’t been a necessary part of my arsenal.

I was up late last night strumming the song. It’s one I strum regularly but now I am motivated to learn it in its entirety.

1 Like

Michael, another cracking cover. That was truly wonderful. Playing and singing just brilliant.

What is that guitar you are playing?

1 Like

Thanks @SgtColon! It took some work to get it to a level.
The guitar is an Emerald Virtuo carbon fibre guitar. It’s slimline, hollow, it has a piezo pick up and two humbuckers that have a coil tap so you pull up a knob and it switches to single coil. So a Jack of all trades really. It was quite a lot of money but I don’t play anything else now to be honest.
I’m going to be working on my electric style playing so you might see that in action in a week or two. Most likely in my learning log though while I’m working up some songs.
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for that Michael. It’s an interesting looking guitar but pretty cool that it’s an all rounder.

I thought you did a great job. I recently watched the 2020 documentary about and including Gordon Lightfoot. This song has been stuck in my head ever since.

Hi,
Sounds like a winner to me! Very nice finger work and play. Nice vox too. What is not to like? My thought is all the time you spent was rewarded with an excellent result! Nice mix too, both guitar and vox are well balance and clear. Good job all around for sure!

All the best in 24!
LB

1 Like

Thanks Kurt I appreciate you taking the time to listen!

Thanks I really appreciate your comments!